30GB iPod photo and DOCK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macOSX-tastic, Apr 3, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi guys,

im considering an update of my ipod from a 3G to a 30GB iPod photo. i currently have a dock for 3G ipods, which i bought separatly from amazon.co.uk. my question is, could i use this dock / its appropriate moulds that came with it to fit this 30GB ipod photo? i ask because the dimensions of this new ipod seem to have shrunk slightly in terms of depth. of course, i dont expect the dock to provide a video signal to a tv, i just want to use it for simply docking and playing music/ syncing.

any input greatly appreciated.

thanks

tastic.

2. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

any input here would be greatly appreciated....

thanks

tastic

3. Greg_C macrumors member

Should work....

I just got back from my local Apple Store, and the 30 gig iPod photos seemed to be the exact same size as my 3G 20 gig (same dimensions as yours) It is most certainly not thicker than my iPod, and I can't imagine the other dimensions differ either. I'm 99% sure your current dock will work :)

--Greg

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I didn't think they did. The photos are very slightly thicker than the old 3G models and slightly thicker than the current 4G 20GB. I seem to remember someone on here saying they didn't fit but I could be wrong. Try searching iPodlounge or Apple's support docs

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I don't see why not...

It SHOULD work, do you have access to any store that sells macs? You could test it.

6. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi guys,

thanks for the input, i guess the only way is to try it out, unfortunately i live in the UK so its quite hard to find an apple reseller that i can actually visit.

i will do some research into documentation on ipodlounge and also apples website.
    thanks guys

tastic.

7. Greg_C macrumors member

Hhmm...

Well the specs from the Apple site say that the iPod Photo 30 gig is .63" thick, and the 4G 20gig iPod is .57" thick. From the iPodLounge 4G iPod review:
    With a little addition, we can determine that the 3G iPod (15/20 gig) is .62" thick - a .01" difference from the 30 gig iPod photo. It looks like there might be a little extra space in my 20 gig 3G iPod's dock, so it should almost surely work. I'm sticking to my 99.99% chance that it'll work prediction. Hope that clears things up (and helps) a little.

--Greg