30GB iPod Photo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blacktoned, Feb 25, 2005.

1. blacktoned macrumors member

Ok, so I am finally going to buy my first iPod. I originally wanted the 4G 20GB but it was always out fo stock, could never find one. Then I realized my library wasn't too big so I was going to buy the new mini with the rumored color screens, well no color. So now I realized I can get the 30GB Photo on Apple.com for about $300 so I'm going to do that. However with all this talk about what comes in the package and whatnot, I'm a little confused on what I need to have and look for. Anyway, the site states this is what comes with the 30GB Photo:

- iPod photo 30GB
    - Earbud headphones
    - AC adapter
    - USB 2.0 cable
    - Getting Started guide
    - CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows and electronic documentation

Now I am a PC user so I'm fine about USB. However I'm just a little confused about the AC Adapter. This is the device that allows you to charge via an electrical outlet, no?

Finally, I wanted to know [from any photo owners], is the iPod Photo relatively bulky? I wanted something moderatley lightweight but still feels like it's in my pocket and whatnot.

Thank you. :)

2. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

The AC adapter is what would allow you to charge via an electrical outlet, yes.

As far as bulkyness I am not sure, but you mentioned carrying it in your pocket. I would not recommend this. I carried it in my pocket the first time i got my iPod, got a big scratch/scuff right across my screen. Needless to say I wasn't pleased. I would highly recommend a case and clip in on your pants, it protects the iPod more.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Or an iSkin (or something like it), and you can still chuck it in your pocket ;)

4. blacktoned thread starter macrumors member

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I did read about scratches but didn't even think about that and carrying it around in my pocket. I'll be sure to look into one. :)

5. blacktoned thread starter macrumors member

Are there any cheap leather cases for the photo?

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Would you say 30-50 dollars is cheap? That is about what those cost.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Go to:

http://www.powerdesignusa.com/

They sell stick on covers that are clear (or color designed) that protect your iPod. I've been using these for awhile and love them. I can put my iPod in my pocket and not worry about scratches. When I sell my iPod and upgrade I peel these off and the iPod looks brand new.....pretty easy to get off the iPod. The only problem is it takes about 2 weeks to get your order.

There's no better way to protect your iPod and let it be seen in all it's glory at the same time.

Oh, and the iPod Photos are not bulky.......deck of cards size. I actually prefer carrying the iPod Photo in my pocket over the mini......I can feel the Photo but the mini worries me b/c I think it will fall out. The iPod socks do a great job of protecting too.

8. blacktoned thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, those covers look great for under $10. Which did you buy? I was looking at the carbon filter texture, but can't really tell what they actually look like due to no gallery shots. Bah.

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

the new 30GB photos are about the same size as the regular 20GB (give or take a millimeter). that's what i read.

EDIT
    20GB - 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.57
    30GB - 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.63
    (in inches)