30gb ipod will only hold 140 songs

Discussion in 'iPod' started by eillehs, Jan 28, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Recently I was getting a slew of errors with my 30gb ipod photo so I decided to get a fresh start and format my ipod. After this format I tried loading my library onto the ipod (a little over 5,000 songs) and it would only hold 140 songs, max! It gave me the could not update, unknown error (-69) message. I formatted again, and again had the same problem. It's not a particular song...it loads up to 140 no matter what songs they are. This is so bizarre. I have scoured the internet looking for solutions and have seen one or two other people with the same problem but no one has an answer. If anyone has a suggestion I would try anything. I don't want to invest another $350! Thank you.

2. macrumors Core

What does the capacity show up as in Disk Utility?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

27.8GB! It makes absolutely no sense :confused:

4. macrumors Core

Hmmmmmm...

And you've Restored the iPod via iTunes?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. Maybe the hard drive is toast and it's a lost cause. Or something to do with the usb cable. It's a long shot but I'm going to try using a different one.

6. macrumors Core

I just found this on the Apple site, have you seen it?

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep I read it, and although that's the same error, I have a different problem. no matter what songs I upload i get the error. This leads me to believe it's not a corrupted song as the apple website suggests...I have searched all the forums on this topic and tried so many things but no one seems to know. Which is why I'm thinking about giving up because one person who had the same problem said that it was just a hard drive failure and they had to buy a new ipod.

8. macrumors Core

You could replace the HD. It's actually very easy to do.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true. At least that would only set me back $100 or so. Thanks for your suggestions...I appreciate the fast help.

10. macrumors 6502

it's easy to take apart

go to ipodresq.com you could prpbably but\y the part from them

11. macrumors 68040

iW00t

Actually you can't.

The firmware is loaded on the HD itself and buying any off the shelf HD plain does not work.

12. macrumors Core

So all those companies selling replacment iPod drives are selling you items you can't use?
    So they're advertising products that are not "Fit For Purpose"?

I think not!

13. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If you want to be absolutely certain it's not a corrupted file, there are a few ways to be sure (copy files across 5 at a time, and see if the problem still occurs at the same point, or make 141 copies of the same song file - one that you know transfers ok - and try syncing them all).

Once you're certain that's not the problem, you could try opening Disk Utility while your iPod is mounted, click on the iPod disk (not the iPod volume) and at the bottom of the window you should see its S.M.A.R.T. Status, that might tell you if there's a problem with the hard disk.

14. macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Does S.M.A.R.T. work for USB disks?

15. macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I dont think S.M.A.R.T. status works for USB Drives.. my Disk-utility tells me S.M.A.R.T. Status is not supported..

heres my 2 cents,
    try reformatting with Disk Utility, then erase it again, then plug it into iTunes, and restore it through there.. then try putting one song file at a time...
    its a long shot.. but it may work..