30GB Refurb $199?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mal, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm assuming most people know about Apple's current offer in their refurbished online store (30GB iPods for $199), and I was wondering if this is really the best deal I can expect to get, and how long I probably have to take advantage of it.

Small Dog Electronics has used, "A condition" iPods, same model, for $189, but I think I've decided I'd rather do the Apple one for a few dollars more since it's refurbished instead of just used. Are there any better options though? As a student, I have to try not to spend too much, and this is going to hurt my wallet as it is.

jW

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I think that is the best deal you can get. A couple months ago my dad bought a used iPod for $230 and now they are selling refurbished ones for $30 less than that and they are basically new while my dad's used one had scratches and music that my dad didn't care for on it.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Damn the US!

The UK Refurb store is still more expensive that Amazon's brand-new iPods! :confused:

4. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Price Drops=New updates to the line. We can only hope. :confused:

5. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Wow, that is a dirt cheap deal. Buy it while its hot.

I sold a used 4GB black nano for 140 on eBay... maybe you could resell this one for 200ish?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well then move to the US. I just bought a 60GB Video for $400 a month ago and I certainly hope that they don't come out with a new iPod soon my wallet can't take another hit like that. But alas I think this is the sign of a new iPod that will be coming soon.

7. ExileinBlonde macrumors member

8. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

I ordered it. Took the plunge.

Now, I have to decide on a case. Anyone used DLO or Griffin's clear hard cases? I have a flip case for my current iPod, and was considering doing the same, but I'm getting a black iPod now and would like to show it off. I also have a $50 Best Buy gift card that I'll probably use to purchase the case I end up with, but I don't know yet which one will work best for me.

jW

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've used a Speck productions hard case and I've been very happy with. I got it at CompUSA it came in a three pack clear, grey and red, it was $29.99.

10. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

I've seen those for the shuffle, but not the video. I liked the looks of them, though I'd prefer just a clear case. I'm worried about scratches on the case though, I don't want to have to replace it often.

jW

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

yeah i sold my 4th gen 20GB mono today to get a refurbed 60GB. I was looking at a 4th gen color but then saw this sale of a 60GB 5th gen for only $299!! $20 more for a 5th gen, i sprung. Ordering my blackie tonight :)

13. boiee macrumors member

does refurbished mean used and scratched up? i would like to purchase one but not if it is all scratched up..would someone please clarify the conditions of a refurbished ipod for me..thanks

14. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Every Refurb item I have bought has been brand new.

They are either returns, customer changed their mind - or returned with faults. Apple does them over, fixes the fault - voila, brand new and working once again, with 12 months warranty.

Some companies sell Refurbs as ''could contain slight cosmetic damage'' - but I don't think Apple do. (At least everything I've bought has been new)

15. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Wish I could! I was going to :p ... but then I found out the US doesn't let in standard UK-er's anymore.

You need immediate family there :(

16. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I just ordered one as well. 199 that's a steal for a 30GB iPod.

My old 3G iPod crapped out on me I'm still working with the service center on a warranty issue.

17. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

That really is a great deal, even if a new Ipod were to come out tmmw.

18. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Yeah man!
    Anyone want my 3G check the link in the sig.

19. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

That is a really good deal. I would buy one if I didn't alrady have my 60gb.

20. Selax77 macrumors member

Anyone know how long it took for the new ipods in the past to come out after the major price cuts were made?

21. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Is this the new price on the refurbished 30gbs then I assume? Price won't go up again, do you think? Asking for a friend who is considering buying one, but needs to wait a bit.

22. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Yup they will most likely stay at this price point refurb until new iPods are released....Awesome deal I'd plunge if I were in the US,

SHadoW

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hey, alexstein, do you get your iPod yet? I got mine and it's a little scratched, and I wanted to know if others come that way or if I should ask for another.

24. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

just me, but I'm a huge fan of DLO's cases for the iPod across all generations

25. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

I got mine au$309 which is 140 bucks of rrp. But the thing is, it comes in the Apple certified refurbishd box, but i swear that it is new. it was a great deal