320GB My Book by Western Digital

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miTunes75, Dec 6, 2006.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

I just opened up the box to my new 320GB My Book by western digital. Connected it to my mini, everything is working fine. However, the mini is only reading it as a 298GB. Does this sound right???? I thought that it would read like 308GB or something.

Is there something wrong?

2. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

Nothing's wrong. 320 GB SOFTWARE memory should be equivalent to about 298 GB, you're just fine. It's same thing if you've ever noticed with new comps, if you have an 80GB internal HD, chances are there is only about 75 gigs of real memory there.

3. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

also, it's formatted in FAT32. Is that good? Or should I use it as NTFS? I will be using it for mac mini only. However, if my brother comes down from IL and wants some albums stored on it, I'll gladly give them to him (if this matters or not?)

Thanks.

4. masterapple04 macrumors regular

You won't have much luck with NTFS - Mac OS X can't read it! FAT32 should be fine for everything you need to do.

5. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Just a little correction.. Mac OS can read NTFS but cannot write to NTFS.

Cheers!

7. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Hehe...further correction...at least in my experience...of course your mileage may vary...

8. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Sounds good! But I believe FAT32 has a limit to maximum file size.... ~ 2GB I believe. So if you're gonna be wanting to store VOBs or large AVI/MPG files then you could have a problem. HFS would be best, but then you wont be able to share your files...unless your brother has a Mac :)

9. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Would he be better served to format it as HFS? Say for example he partitioned it to have one part be OS and the other part the backup or scratch portion.