Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I have to agree, and regarding the competition? I'd rather get a more expensive iPad mini than the crap other companies call tablets.

Yeah, but at $329, that's only $50 less than the iPad 3 refurbs on their own site. Don't you think that $299 for a 16GB iPad Mini would have been a more appropriate price? Not that the extra 30 bucks makes is unaffordable, but not as good of a buy for the money.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be a tough decision, but with the released specs and pricing for the mini, the decision is the easiest one I have ever had to make. I'll be buying a Nexus 7 32gb for $250.

The sadist thing about this, is that if you read the comments in the stories covering the announcement, everyone thinks the same, this mini is way over priced. If someone like me , who has not bought other than apple for mobile devices can find it an easy decision to now buy a Nexus, imagine what the populous who don't have any preference are going to choose.

Sad day in my opinion, very sad. At least the iPad specs and pricing are competitive in the full size tablet market. The mini isn't even close.

have you look at Ipad mini before your decision? I posted Verge's live blog pictures in a couple threads. Phil shows web pages from a 7 inches 16:9 ratio device vs an Ipad mini. There is no comparison as to which one is superior. And then he showed Pandora, Tripadviosr and Yelp's app and again there is no contest... Obviously he is handpicking the apps to show off the IOS advantage..

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/hands-on/ipad-mini-hands-on-review

iPad Mini hands-on review – iPad Mini vs Google Nexus 7
Pulling a Google device out at an Apple event is like taking a cat to Crufts, so a direct comparison between the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini wasn’t possible in the minutes we had. However, we know it well, and have no doubt that the Mini feels the more premium device. While the iPad Mini’s screen is noticeably lower-res – Retina Display fans will baulk at the Mini’s visible pixels – it beats the Nexus 7’s for brightness and vibrancy, and seems a good deal bigger to boot.

Neither device is obviously faster in operation than the other – lag is so minimal as to be a non-issue in either case – so for most, the determining factors lie beyond the hardware.

Last edited:

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Nexus 7 may be getting a refresh next week. Nexus is pretty compelling given its GPS and Google Maps.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, but at $329, that's only $50 less than the iPad 3 refurbs on their own site. Don't you think that $299 for a 16GB iPad Mini would have been a more appropriate price? Not that the extra 30 bucks makes is unaffordable, but not as good of a buy for the money.

$299 would have been the perfect price.

----------

Nexus 7 may be getting a refresh next week. Nexus is pretty compelling given its GPS and Google Maps.

I don't think the Nexus 7 has GPS?

pruhawk

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
My question is whether 16 GB is enough? If not, this is really a $429 + tax device. That is a lot more than the competition. Currently I have used 24 of the 32 GBs on my iphone and I have only a few books and no movies so I am on the fence.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
It's expensive but I'll probably end up buying one. I don't know why but I guess it's just excitement of getting a new device.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Even at this stratospheric price I'll buy one, just like I've been planning.

Yet that said it makes my Nexus 7 look that much sweeter.

There's quite a difference between $199 and $329.

I bet Google is thrilled :D

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
My question is whether 16 GB is enough? If not, this is really a $429 + tax device. That is a lot more than the competition. Currently I have used 24 of the 32 GBs on my iphone and I have only a few books and no movies so I am on the fence.

I think 16GB is enough. It uses the iPad 2 pixel density, so that means smaller App Sizes. (because it's not retina)

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

I would think alot of people will opt for the 64GB version - just my 2 cents. And as you say, even THAT is not enough to hold everything....

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Holy smokes. It would be great if I could have bought my current used car for five hundred bucks. I had to pay, I dunno, five grand?

How old are you? Have you ever made anything? Folded an origami crane maybe? Cooked pancakes?

You might sound more intelligent if you just stated your point instead of being a wimp by throwing some trash around.

Tell me again what's wrong with wanting a Retina display on the iPad Mini?

Nothing. It's the carping about the price point that seems overdone.

PlutoniusX

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Yep. Kinda like how the iPhone 4S is running with early 2011 parts. (Except the 4S is only $100 (15%) cheaper than the iPhone 5, instead of $170 (34%).) And most Android phones are running with 2010 parts and a 2010 OS. Older and cheaper sells.

I have.

Good for you!

If you got 200 dollars more to spend, have at it. Id rather use that 200 dollars for something else. :p

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
You guys know that $299.00 is the iPod Touch 5g starting price, right? I think $329.00 is pretty fair.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Little secret: the $199 16gb nexus 7:

--is not crap
--is built well
--feels good
--has a quality screen
--has more pixels
--has good battery life
--has an arguably more innovative OS
--has very few true tablet-optimized apps and therefore no apps in my book

How much you value this last point will decide whether you want a nexus 7 or not.

The $329 price point is WAY too high for anyone to ignore. Apple could have brought the price down to $269 b/c they make these devices cheaper than any other company can.

I bet Apple reverses course like when the original iphone came out and lowers the price within 2 months. It's way too much even for your most loyal customers. Had it had a retina screen, a big if, I know, we would have been saying wow that's a very very fair price. Had it even had an A6.

And despite all logic, Apple's going to sell a ton of these even though they don't deserve to in my book. As is typical with version 1 of an Apple product, you should avoid. Mini v2 will be the one to get.

AoS

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Wake up people... Apple has never been in the business of competitive pricing, whether that's good or not. If you don't like the new iPad mini, then don't buy it. I for one am not a fan of it at all, spec or price wise, but it will still sell more than any Android tablet out there.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Gee, you know, for $329 I'm getting the product in a size I have wanted, and the iOS and the integration with the rest of Apple's ecosystem (and another iteration of Apple's IT JUST WORKS), plus I'm helping fund the design of their next great thing or the one after that, and I like knowing the apps I put on the thing are from a store that curates the apps they sell.

So. Seems like a good deal to me. I'm in, just can't decide on the storage, so I might even be in for $529. I'm in though, definitely.

vcoleiro1

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Well it's like this :

32gb Ipad Mini for $430

or

32gb Nexus 7 for $250

Not exactly a tough decision. I'll be honest , I have been watching the Android seen for a while. Although every Android release just seemed laggy and has put me off, the JB release finally sparked my attention. It's pretty smooth and finally compares to IOS. As for Apps, lets face it, both markets have massive amounts of apps to choose from. The advantage Apple had there is also pretty much gone.

I have heard people say, Apple dont compete on Price and have always more expensive. I sort of agree, but mostly don't. Look at the Ipad (full size) , it's pricing is still competitive with it's Android competitors.

Even in the Macbook world, the pricing might be a little bit more than the competition, but even then, you get some premium features/build to compensate for that small amount.

Now look at the iPad mini vs say the Nexus 7. At the 32gb level it's $430 vs $250 - That's outrageous.

Also, I don't even think Apple even understand the 7" market. People have bought the 7" tabs because they offer some portability. The Nexus 7 for example can just squeeze into a coat pocket or cargo pants pocket. Making the iPad mini .6" wider than a Nexus 7 makes it real hard to get into a coat pocket. IMHO, Apple have missed the mark badly with the mini .

Will it sell, yeahh people will still buy it. But no where near the numbers a properly speced/priced mini could have done.

Last edited:

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012

I was gonna get a mini but now getting a iPad 3 refurb for just 50 bucks more and much much better iPad compared to the mini.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I have iPad3 (wifi only) and I think of mini as a way to get wifi + LTE at a lower price point. However, I would wait this out because the processor and screen of the mini is comparable to iPad2 and I'm guessing next spring Apple may upgrade the mini with better processor and screen. By then I will buy it without second thought.

trixnrice

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
i enjoy my nexus 7, paired with jb its quite smooth and more than capable for its intended functions. and no, i dont play many games...tsk. but ya, the only thing i'm pissed about is that google is announcing their 32gb varient for the same price i bought my 16gb nexus 7. burn. oh well.

i agree, apple is not in the business of dropping prices to compete, they stand alone in their own tier of this market and can do so successfully, but it doesn't NOT mean that this ipad mini is quite over priced to the consumer for what they are getting as a device in return. OoOOO aluminum! wow. i'm sure it feels real nice under the plastic/rubber case you're going to be using it in. =/

i say get the ipad mini if you have extra cash to dish and you wanna stay completely in the apple eco system. if not, go with the higher storage and more suitably priced nexus 7 in about a week.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
It should be cheaper considering it doesnt have a Retina display.
Considering MacBooks with Retina are more expensive.
Unless when they do release the Mini with Retina it will be even more expensive!!! :eek:

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
The problem is this iPad Mini will be very outdated in the spring when the iPad 5 is released, and likely the Mini. Giving it iPad 2 specs is ridiculous.

Nexus 7 and Kindle HD already have better specs. Do you think Google or Amazon are shy about releasing an update before the next iPad? Nope!

I also think Apple did a dangerous thing with cutting the upgrade cycle in half with the iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.