333Mhz DDR?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Aug 7, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

MacBidouille (temporarily house at http://www.hardmac.com) posted a graphic from an American RAM Distributed which advertises DDR Ram for XServe and the New PowerMac.

Of note, it lists rates of 266Mhz and 333Mhz, while the XServe only supports 266Mhz DDR RAM.

Now, more often than not, ads such as these from 3rd party vendors represent educated guesses by the vendors than any true leaks.

2. big
    macrumors 65816

big

WOW! 333 mhz ram! that would so ROCK!

3. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Coupled with X.2 and a faster G4, 333mhz DDR would be a huge jump in performance.

I would love to see them even if my schedule doesn't allow me to replace my main mac for another year ;)

Ensign

4. big
    macrumors 65816

big

Yep...I gotta wait at least a year also

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its a step in the right direction - why is waiting until next week and the possible new machines starting to get me all excited, even though I too won't be buying anything soon.

6. macrumors 68000

topicolo

I'm hoping so too, but from what I'm seeing on the PC side, a fsb and ram upgrade will only get you so far. When AMD switched to DDR ram, there was only a 3-5% increase. When AMD switched to 333Mhz DDR RAM, there was another 2-3% increase. That's only a total increase of about 5-8% maybe less if you consider that the G4 has had a L3 cache helping it along all this way

7. macrumors member

333 DDR.... that's gonna kost big bucks. I would like to be able to buy a powermac in the futur but with these prices.... :s

8. macrumors 68000

agreenster

But isnt DDR ram yesterdays news? RD Ram is where its at, isnt it? It still feels like Apple is still behind the technology forefront.

If Apple wants to move heavily into the film/studio/post effects department, (which it seems like they do with Maya 4.5 coming out and their recent purchase of Shake...) they need to up their performance level beyond DDR ram.

9. macrumors 68000

tjwett

DDR shmee-DR. yawn. BFD. the XServe doesn't even have true DDR support with it's fsb still at 133. for true DDR use you need the bus and the RAM. don't worry, Apple is still way behind;)

10. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

Not me. I sold my old Mac a week before MacWorld NY and got top dollar and will buy whatever new PowerMac Apple releases. My money is sitting in the bank just waiting to be spent. 333MHz DDR would be nice... just as long as it offers a lot MORE SPEED!!!!!!

11. macrumors newbie

RDRAM is the main competitor to DDR. RDRAM is a proprietary technology developed by Rambus and Intel. It is more expensive, and Rambus itself is an evil company that uses sleazy patents to extort money out of other memory makers like a parasite. Rambus needs to die the slow painful death it deserves. DDR is the way to go, and the way Apple will go.

This article has some more information: http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reports/1519/6/

12. macrumors 603

Rocketman

You may have no choice. Assuming a 8-24-02 release date and with the relatively huge pent-up demand for a major new motherboard scheme, initial release may result in a multi-month order backlog.

If you are not one of these folks that place their orders on release day/week, you will likely be waiting 1-3 months to see a system. Rarely does delivery actually happen in less than a month anyway.

The iPod 20 shipped this week and was announced at MW for example.

Whether the MB is 266 memory or 333 the problem will be the same. The lurking question is the native speed of the bus. Lots of people have put off Tower purchases to avoid crippled 133 mhz FSB.

If that suits you, you might as well buy a eMac or iMac and get cool features at a very low price.

That reminds me, everyone buy a friend or relative an eMac. They are dirt cheap.

Rocketman

13. jg3
    macrumors member

I think (and hope) you are wrong. If you are, this will prove that G4's really are very much more powerful than x86 chips. You see, if you take a spigot and hook a garden hose up to it, you will get a good stream of water coming out the end of the hose. If you hook the same hose up to a fire hydrant, the result will be about the same. BUT if you put a fire hose on a spigot, you will get the same flow as you did with the garden hose... whereas putting a fire hose on a fire hydrant makes a big difference. Come on, DDR!!

14. macrumors 603

Rocketman

What are you posting on? A PC? A IIsi? :)

Rocketman

15. macrumors member

What are you, a miljonair ?

16. macrumors 6502a

Any chance you know the reason WHY 'Apple is still behind'? I take it you don't otherwise you would have instead stated "MOTOROLA and their crappy G4 CPU is still behind the technology forefront"... :rolleyes:

Apple can't give us something if the MOTOROLA G4 will not support it... Well they can but then you have the xServe.... DDR is used by just about EVERYTHING ***BUT*** the MOTOROLA G4 CPU!

The G4 intro'd in Aug 99 @ 500Mhz and 850MB/s of memory bandwith support (SDR) THREE FULL YEARS later and what has MOTOROLA added to the G4? 500Mhz of speed AND that's about it... Bahhh MOT has done more to hurt Apple over the past three years than any other company I can think of...

MOT RANT OFF (for now) :)

Dave

17. macrumors 68000

topicolo

That's assuming that there will be a constant flow of water coming out of the spigot or the fire hydrant. In real world usage, (to use your spigot analogy), the water will be coming out in bursts. A fatter pipe will assure that the bursts come out quicker, but if there's nothing coming, it won't do any good. In most office applications, you probably won't see much of a difference in the new architecture. In games, there'll probably be a noticeable increase (maybe more in the order of 10% faster than a similar Mhz old-school G4). But most of the performance will probably occur in science and high-level graphics apps.

18. macrumors 6502

You have it backwards. RD (RamBus) is yesterday's news. It has almost reached the highest speed it is able to , and is currently being out paced by Motherboards with DDR333. Now, there is a few source for DDR400, and the testing shows that it blows the doors off any RamBus, and they don't think RamBus can catch it.

Some Technical details:
    It's been a while but I think these are the specifics behind the tech. DDR RAM is 128-bit wide bus, while RamBus is 8 or 16-bit. RamBus gets it's speed the Intel way, more Mhz, while DDR increased the number of things done in a cycle.

In the PC world, it is not uncommon to find someone buying DDR333 for a system that accepts upto DDR266. What they are doing is overclocking. While I don't think people will be overclocking an Xserve, I wouldn't be suprised to see people buying faster RAM on the false premise that it will improve preformance. Also since the manufacture of the RAM doesn't cost much more to make DDR266, or DDR333, It's all profit for the vendor.

19. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

quite simple.... the better the new models are, the better the models or two after them will be... thus, the better the computer you end up getting will be.... word?

20. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Thanx

Thanx guys, my last comment was more in the form of a question than a bold statement (if you didnt notice)

Im anxious to see how this all pans out. If DDR is the way to go, then good for them. But I still see faster processors (and structure altogether) in high-end IBM Workstations and SGI boxes (with higher price tags too, of course). Thats what Apple needs to overcome if they want to push into the high end markets.

I guess this is off-subject, and should be in another forum altogether, but Apple seems to be really trying to push into the 3D realm; however, they need to seriously have a power-house workstation in order to compel 3d hobbyists, students, schools, and studios to switch from IBM/SGI/Sun.

Apple has:

1. Unix (nice UI too)
    2. XServe (for rendering)
    3. Maya 4.5 (soon)
    4. Shake

Apple Doesnt have:

1. A Workstation comparible to an SGI Fuel box or IBM RS/6000 44P 270

2. Renderman for OSX (I assume we can look forward to this)

21. macrumors regular

ahem.
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020501/

theres reaons NOT to buy rdram,but its nothing to do with performance OR price for the top end gear... its merely horses for courses and thats basically it....

(as topicolo said, fudging ddr onto a slow bus hardly makes a chip scream, and judging by my athlon, ddr hardly makes a noticeable difference)

22. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

The PowerMac 1GHz announced Jan 31, '02 also shipped the same day. I don't see why new PowerMacs won't be shipping when announced. Apple certainly doesn't need to wait until Jaguar ships on 8-24 to ship the new PowerMac. The production of system CD's for the PowerMac should be a lot faster than retail boxes with Jaguar skin on them.

Unless Apple isn't finished with the new PowerMac yet. But, I'm hoping they are in production right now. Woooo-hooooo!

23. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

Actually, a G4 iMac 800 at work. I want a better/faster system at home for the work I do there. Work is just text/email/web stuff. So the iMac is fine there and looks rather cool on my desk. Awesome that I only need one power cable for CPU/monitor/speakers running to my desk (which sits in the middle of my office).

At home I am without a Mac right now. But I sold my iMac G4 800 w/15" screen just before the 17" was announced, and good thing, too. I actually made money on the deal, so even though my cable internet at home is unused for 1-2 months, it still all works out.

Bring on the new PowerMacs!

24. macrumors regular

I too am getting antsy and this year I can afford to buy a new computer! Yay me, maybe I'll get a new 20gb iPod and give this old 5gb one to my wife.

25. macrumors newbie

A quibble

I'm thinking that if you put a garden hose on a fire hydrant something very different would happen. :)