333MHz G3 iMac fanless?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mklos, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Has anyone tried running a 333MHz iMac G3 with the fan unplugged? Were there any heat issues? The fan doesn't actually blow on the CPU so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

2. bellychris macrumors member

I dont think it would be the best idea, since the design was to incorporate the fan, I would guess it would eventually overheat.

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

The fan is there for some reason though, maybe to cool the case then? The iMac case looks rather cramped.

I don't have an iMac and don't know but...

4. mklos thread starter macrumors 68000

mklos

Well I just ran it for 5 hours straight without the fan plugged in and it didn't any hotter than it would with the fan plugged in. If I could only find a 6GB hard drive that is quieter. The current one is quite loud when spinning.

You have to take half the damn iMac apart just to get to the power connector. Good thing those iMacs are easy to work on. :D

5. point665 macrumors regular

Hmm, what generation of iMac was it that had no fan? the case design cooled the system IIRC...

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

My friend got an old iMac for free (G3 i think.....)..... ran for about 3 hours than blew up (smoke billowed out and stuff).... it had overheated. Not sure why but everything was fried.

We end up dropping it off his truck :cool: :eek:

.....the gasses in there make you kinda woozy.......

7. Bonsaichop macrumors member

Extend the wires for the fan, and attach them to the hdd +7v rails (red on the fan on yellow on the hdd, black on the fan on red on the hdd). Requires some soldering but it'll solve any of your noise issues.