350MB file to send...easiest way?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Applespider, May 1, 2006.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have a 350MB file to send to my mother of a TV recording - her DVR missed it on Thursday since it reset itself.

What's the easiest/quickest way of getting it to her? I have got enough space on my iDisk but that would take forever to upload/download. Yousendit charges for files over 100MB (reasonably enough) but this is probably a one off so don't really want to sign up for a monthly amount. I've got 1.3MB upstream and she has 2MB down.

Would it be quickest just to stick it on a DVD and snail mail her it?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I could lend you space on my server. Interested? Space and bandwidth are not a problem.

Alternately, why not just let her connect right to your Mac?

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I could also lend you 350mb of space on my ftp server.. Alternatively, you can upload it to FileFront for free, and she can download.. but I find that downloading off of FileFront (which is like yousendit) is slow as hell. FTPing it is the way to go.

5. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

That would be v kind, jsw! I'd be happy to let her connect to the Mac (since it would save the upload time) but she's really not the most technical minded person on the planet and I have to say that I'm not entirely sure how to open up my Mac as a server from behind a router let alone directing her!

The iChat idea is an interesting one, yankeefan24, since I have set her an account up. The link does say file size is no issue but it's worth a go! Perhaps I'll try that and if it doesn't work, then I'll come back to your offer if poss! Thanks XIII too - I'll come back to one of you possibly!

Thanks guys

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Whatever works best for you!

I've set up an account for you - PM if you want details. If she's available now, might as well go through iChat. If not, you could upload now and she could fetch it later at 2MB/sec (i.e, max out her download).

It's also very easy to set up your Mac using the built in webserver. Let us know if you'd like to know how!

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Snailmail

Could be a Looong up load and a loooong download, and any slipped bits could be disaster.

8. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Just a note on iChat file transfer - it will work, but if your network crashes out, or your internet crashes for a second... all of the uploading you have already done is lost. Its very annoying. Really making a torrent of it and getting her to download it would be the best way to use least bandwidth.. :) But unless you are familiar with torrents it would be a bit awkward. I would skip the iChat file transfer because it could just be a waste of time, and FTP.

9. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

OK... I'm trying the iChat file transfer since it was easy to call Mum and tell her to turn on iChat... And it's working so far without dropouts yet (I'm crossing fingers and touching wood having read your message!) at about 45% complete. It seems to think that it should take about an hour (or another 30 minutes) which doesn't seem too bad!

If it does fail, then I'll fall back to FTP and one of your v kind offers!

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

God luck. :) Your network and internet is probably more reliable than mine (drops out at LEAST once a day :p).

11. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

My router's been up and connected for 54 days and 2 hours... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't decide to take a break now... 25 minutes to go...

12. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Well guys... the iChat transfer worked like a charm. Thanks yankeefan24 and Apple for such a pertinent Pro Tip that perhaps brought it to mind more easily
    I'd never have thought of that option!

All 350MB sent and arrived in about an hour and are sitting, safely saved on Mum's desktop to be watched.

Thanks for the other offers of help - they were much appreciated too! :D

13. ikonq macrumors member

Agreed. Burn a disc, Mail it to her.
    Courier/Expres post if you're feeling charitable.

14. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

We get big files all the time through skype. Works well and fast.

15. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Know your problem's solved, but I would recommend yousendit.com. You can upload 1G (it think), and send links to 7 people's emails telling them they have a download waiting. It stays there for 7 days. Great cause it works for anyone- PC/Mac, someone who doesn't have iChat.

16. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

I know and I've received things in the past from it so it was my first port of call but to send more than 100MB, I'd need to commit to a monthly payment which seemed daft for a one-off file. iChat worked remarkably well although obviously it will depend on how stable your/their connection is.

17. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Crap, you're right. Guess I haven't been on it in a while- but about two months ago you could send 1GB files for free as often as you wanted. That sucks ;(

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glad iChat worked, its usually the easiest thing to try first for sending larger files. its what i would have tried personally. :D

19. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

This sounds interesting, how do you do this?

20. haiggy macrumors 65816

I would have suggest iChat as well. That is all I use for very large file transfers. Beats MSN by a long shot! The speeds are super fast and you can send any file size. It's great :D

Another user posted that if it crashes and stops the progress is lost.... for me that has never happened. If it stops and you restart it, it will carry on right from where it left off which makes it even better and reliable.