Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is a feedback thread for "exclusive preview" content in general.

We're trying out some additional content on the site, in this instance, exclusive unannounced preview of what I think is genuinely interesting software to those who use audio.

To calm the suspicious, it is not an advertisement, and we receive no financial gain for any of this content. Instead, it's to expand a little bit of our content in a meaningful and appropriate way.

You can direct feedback on it here, but please keep the news thread on-topic. Any off-topic posts there will be deleted.

thanks
arn

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Colour me a skeptic. I never suspected MacRumors was getting a cut of this, but I still question the wisdom of posting extended articles about Mac shareware releases on MR. There's plenty of other sites for that; hell, there's MacUpdate and VersionTracker if it comes to that. Perhaps a MR-branded blog would be a nice compromise?

admin edit: post split from an existing post

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I think you bring up a good point there, BlueRevolution.
The added content could become a part of a sister-site of sorts to MR.
I would say that it could be more integrated, by say having it as another tab on the main page, rather than like a true sister-site such as MacBytes.
That way it would be more of an extension, and could serve the purpose of having the additional content without crowding out the actual rumors.

irmongoose

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I agree with those above. There are lots of great apps (both from major companies and smaller developers) that deserve some attention, but the MacRumors main page is the wrong place.

Perhaps a new main page tab for MacWorld-style software reviews/previews?

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
... but the MacRumors main page is the wrong place.
Agreed. What's needed is a new section called Software Spotlight or something equally corny ;). I've got absolutely no problem with MacRumors making money out of it, in fact that would be a good thing, it's just the location that feels wrong.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Agreed. What's needed is a new section called Software Spotlight or something equally corny ;). I've got absolutely no problem with MacRumors making money out of it, in fact that would be a good thing, it's just the location that feels wrong.

Ditto.

If it were a truly revolutionary app, like one that did your laundry for you and pressed your dress pants, then, yes, it would be neat to see a 'front page feature' on it. But for WireTap Studio (which is simply an extension of WireTap Pro, which has been out for years) to appear on MR's main page as an 'exclusive' story seems a bit strange.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom

Also agreed :)

It's the fact that the review's appeared somewhere that I'd expect rumour-related articles that 'feels' wrong.

Reviews and rumours each need different approaches when reading. I look to the MacRumors.com front page for rumours, not reviews. So when I come to MR, I'm in a 'rumour-reading' frame of mind. Reviews generally need more thought and time to digest. I'd much rather that reviews were on a separate page, much like the iPhone blog or the Guides.

I don't have a problem with MR publishing reviews -- especially if there's an opportunity for us users to submit our own reviews. There are many really talented MR members who no doubt have a gem of an app which they'd like to make known to others.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm with everyone else. I have no problem with you guys doing this, MacBytes or elsewhere. Just don't like it on the main page with rumors and other Apple (directly) related news.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
The reason a company would provide an "exclusive preview" to MR is to get the word out on their new software. It is word of mouth advertising and if MR didn't get compensated for it....ITS FREE ADVERTISING!
Again, I agree that MR is a great place to have this type of information, but it should be in a sidebar or separate Tab. Not front page where the rumors should be.

Chris

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If it were a truly revolutionary app

Actually, I think the live preview thing is very cool, if not revolutionary.

The reason a company would provide an "exclusive preview" to MR is to get the word out on their new software. It is word of mouth advertising and if MR didn't get compensated for it....ITS FREE ADVERTISING!

In trade for exclusive content, which means we're not just republishing what every other site has, which has value to the site. That is our "compensation".

arn

ejbenjamin

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
Arn, I'd like to see more articles like this. I've been a Mac user for years but I'm sure there is plenty of OS X software that I would use if I just knew about it.

I do agree with some of the others about placement-- the front page seems like hallowed ground. Maybe features like this could be given their own feed on the sidebar, like you've done with the iPhone blog?

Keep up the good work.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
Actually, I think the live preview thing is very cool, if not revolutionary.

In trade for exclusive content, which means we're not just republishing what every other site has, which has value to the site. That is our "compensation".

arn

Fair enough... thanks for the explanation.
Chris

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
...but the MacRumors main page is the wrong place.

Count me in as another person who doesn't want his rumors diluted!

I do regularly visit MacBytes and other sites, but when I hit the MacRumors main page, I want rumors. Another section of the site, like the iPhone Blog or the Buyer's Guide, would be totally appropriate.

ClaphamChris

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
London, UK
I'm all for exclusive content on the site, and details on products and services that I'm not going to get anywhere else will simply strengthen what's already the best site in the sector IMO.

BUT

Presentation is everything, and, I don't wish to sound patronising here, but the site is MacRumors. It's USP and everything it's built its success on is sorting the wheat from the chaff in speculation, whispers and making sense of the market chatter. MacOSXHints is great for tips and tricks and that's what it concentrates on. MacRumors should similarly concentrate on its strengths.

IMO, if you were to continue in the current vein, the site would pretty quickly dilute its USPs. As many others above have said, be great to see that content, but clearly hived off into a discrete section. I come here for rumours, not software previews, whether exclusive or not. If I keep logging on to see content that isn't the reason I visit, I'll think less of it and ultimately visit less often. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

So, in summary, exclusive review content on apps or whatever is great - but not as page leads on MacRumors.

Chris

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
As with everybody here, I found it a bit odd to see a software overview posted on the Main "rumors" page. I actually want to see MR do reviews... perhaps on a separate MacRumors Reviews tab? If you guys can give it the same objective analysis I've come to expect from your rumor and news analysis, I'd love to see some Mac-related recommendations. As well as what to stay away from :)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
To calm the suspicious, it is not an advertisement, and we receive no financial gain for any of this content. Instead, it's to expand a little bit of our content in a meaningful and appropriate way.
I think it is a better arrangement that MR gets more "unique" content and they get word of mouth. If MR starts getting paid, the reviewer would feel the pressure to find positive things to say about the products in general. Even if the advertiser is contractually obligated to pay whether the review is positive or negative, everybody knows there will not be much repeat business unless negative reviews are very rare or quite diluted with more positive comments.

Sort of Consumer Reports vs. other auto or electronics magazines. The latter ones would rather not review something unless they know they have enough positive stuff to write. I still remember when LA Times wrote a very critical article about the CEO of GM and GM pulled all of its advertising. I have not read any articles anywhere after that asking him to resign. Coincidence?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.