3552 Ramen Restaurants in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Community' started by iAlan, Nov 19, 2003.

1. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I know ramen has been done to death, but a bit of trivia for you...as the subject reads 3552 ramen restaurants in Tokyo.

What more to say...I have been to about 40-45 different ramen restaurants in Tokyo and that seems like quite an insignificant number in comparison, and I thought I was doing well.

With just on 20 million people living in Tokyo, that's around 1 ramen restaurant for every 5,600 people!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

as an American, my only association with ramen is the cube of noodles in a package with a flavor pouch (mostly salt).

What can you get at a ramen restaurant?

I love Vietnamese Pho soup and Udon noodle soup varieties when I eat Japanese, so I'm thinking there is more available at a Ramen Restaurant.

Also, are there any in the US that anyone knows about?

And that is a lot of ramen, there is nothing even to compare with those numbers here in the states.....McDonald's could only dream ;)

D

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Same here, except I hate Pho :p :).

But I think I've had my fair share of Ramen.... ;)

scem0

4. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Those 'blocks' are available here too, but honestly, they taste like shreded cardboard, not as nice as fresh noodles, but better than nothing I guess

Ahh, ramen...only kidding. Ramen shops have a variety of noodles and additoinal stuff. One of the ramen shops about 5 minutes walk from my house has a great ramen set which includes gyoza which are dim sim like half moon shaped dumplings and a small portion of chahan - fried rice. I usually have tonkotsu soup base with the following floating on top; a boiled egg cut in half, bean sprouts, a couple of thick slices of beef, sliced spring onions and shreded daikon - a type of radish.

The variety is great, and i agree Udon is a good choice.

Can't help there, I am Australian

We have our share of McD here too, not that I eat there much. See my comments in the fast food poll starting here

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

You said it man :) There is a really nice Vietnamese soup house [Pho99], and there soup is just awesome. Put everythign but the kitchen sink in :)

6. Doraemon macrumors 6502

When it comes to Ramen, my favs definitely are Miso Ramen. :)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well you are still posting, so we know your not lying on the ground twitching and drooling in a food induced coma.

You definitely haven't eaten enough yet. ;)

8. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Miso ramen is pretty standard, and is available in nearly all ramen restaurants, but each with a slight taste variation.

I am no ramen expert, but sometimes i think the ramen soup base is slightly different at the same restaurant. I am guessing it must be difficult to get the same flavour with each 'batch'. Also, fresh noodles can taste different depending onthe quality of the ingredients included.

Don't know if any of you have seen noodles being made, but it is an amazing process....before you know it the noodles are seperating themselves.....too hard to explain, you have got to see it to believe it.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

what can you get in the noodles or is it all broth and noodles, not meat and veggies?

D

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, I'd been to only one of those places and by the time I return to Japan, there will probably be over 5000 places. When I went there, I had Ma Bo Ramen, which is based on the flavour of Ma Bo Do Fu (Ma Po To Fu for others), a Chinese dish.

Mr. Anderson:

Have you been to a Yaohan Plaza? They have groceries, books and magazines, and fast food places--all Japanese. I used to visit the one in Fort Lee, NJ but they have a few in the U.S.A. and many more in Asia. They had practically any kind of food you might expect in Japan.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Never heard of one - I did a check online and got nothing around here....

When I'm traveling and see one, I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

D

12. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Of course it's standard. But still, it's my favorite flavor.

BTW:
    To all Ramen-Lovers: Tampopo is a MUST-SEE! :)

13. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

My roomate and i are on a high ramen diet, we go through about 24 little packages a week.
    being that we can only get it at wallmart in cottonwood, arizona our flavor options usually consist of chicken or beef, and thats getting old, were gonna hae to find another dealer.
    gotta love the monosodium glutamate :D;)