35mm -> Digital Development?

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Mar 30, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hey...

I have a lot of 35mm rolls that I'd like to get developed straight to digital (so I don't have to scan them myself).

Has anyone used the various online development services? Such as snapfish.com, ofoto.com, clubphoto.com... etc...?

My main priority is the ability to get high quality digital versions of these images.

Other featuers - such as actual physical prints, online ordering for friends/families etc... are fine... but the biggest criteria, is I need hi-rez digital versions of all these photos.

anyone experience/opinions?

thanks
    arn

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had 5 rolls of slide film done digitally recently and I've probably had up to 25 done over the past couple years. Its only ok, the colors and quality sometimes suck, but not always. I've had to send some back while others have been fine.

Now I do all the scanning myself, even if its a pain, but the results have come out better.

How many do you have to do? Wedding shots? ;)

You might just go ahead and do them, since its not that much money, relatively, and see how they come out. You'll end up with the negs anyway and can always redo any that you really like.

Good luck,

D

3. Alte22a macrumors 6502

get a neg scanner, its a little pain but its way better. Buying a Film scanners are like buying a house. Spend alot of money on it but its yours to keep, instead of "Renting" which is like using the photo services. These days 35mm negs scanners are pretty seasonable like Minolta, Dimage or Canon...

I'm a photographer and I invested in A Minolta Dimage pro. Its AMAZNG!!!! total control

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, well, I like the Nikon CoolScan 4000, myself. I used a 2000 at work, but I'm getting the 4000 for home shortly. 4000 dpi and firewire, full scan in less than 40secs. On a 35mm film/slide that's about 12 megapixels, very nice:D

D

5. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Good choice. I was taking about a good few weeks deciding which one to buy. We can start a whole new thread about which one is better. I think in the end niether really beats the other. Since one of my friends has the Nikon 8000ED. ROCKS though. Printer? Canon 9000? Epson...XX(cant rememebr what the number is..)

6. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

heh...

yep - wedding pix. These are the disposable cameras that were at everyone's table. There are about 30 rolls...

I have a digital consumer camera myself, so don't necessarily plan on needing much development/film scanning in the future... so not sure if a film scanner is a great investment for me. How much do they run?

arn

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The Nikon 8000 is exactly the same resolution wise as the 4000, but it lets you scan larger slides/negs than the 4000. And its $1200 more. Since I'm not shooting medium format it really isn't worth it, but cool none the less.

As for printer, Epson 2200, friggin phenomenal!

Large format (13x19) 7 separate ink cartridges, and 75 year fade proof on archival paper. Can't really ask for better. I've been printing out all sorts of stuff on it, framing and you can't really even tell its digital at first glance.

D

8. Alte22a macrumors 6502

If your for a one time use cant you run to a decent lab in your area? I pro lab? SInce its a one off, might as well get a pro to do the job. Expensive though but good. There's a machine called the Fuji Frontier(not for consumers by the way) devs all your film prints them and makes a CD scan pretty cool. Ask around in your area?

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, for the displosable, pay the 5 bucks or so on each roll and get them on cd. You have no idea of the quality of the shots. Once you see them all you can always go back and have the good ones enlarged.

The Nikon CoolScan 4000 runs just under $1500 - probably not worth it for what you've got.

Good luck.

D

10. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Its all good stuff. I'm DIpped in to the Canon, love it... But I dont miss old fashion colour printing though. You know Colour printers(the Trditional way) are dying out over here(UK). All switching to digital. The only ones that are left are the real hardcore ones for exhibitions and stuff. Photographers pop into LAbs now dev/contact, then go home and scan, then print. Sounds like what happened to music. Only the DJs use vynals(sorry for the mistake).

11. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I guess I didn't know this was an option... just look in the Yellow Pages?

I knew the drop-off Kodak booths allowed a CD of the photos... but didn't know the rez etc...

arn

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, before I got the Epson 2200, I had a couple of my better shots printed on an Iris-Glicée printer, large format (40x60) or so. You can't even tell that its digital with out a loop and its on heavier, water color type paper. Really nice stuff, but quite pricy. $400 a pop for getting an image scanned and printed and $200 for each additional print.

But going for the large size is nice and I'm really happy with the results. With the 13x19 I can do at home, framing the shots still looks great and they're not small ;)

D

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're in Richmond, right? Any Cord Camera or MotoPhoto would have it, just ask. And with that many rolls, you sign up for their frequent member program and you can save a bunch.

The resolution should be fine for printing out 4x6 and maybe even 8x10, but if you really want to print ones out that are that big, get them redone. Use the mass developing as a first run to see what you have. Believe me, from what we got, there will be tons of crap and a few that will make you laugh and others that actually look great.

D

14. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Arn sorry dude cant tell you the res off the top of my head right now, But ask them for a Fuji Frontier you cant go wrong. Kodak booths suck big time, they employ part timers( Sorry for my generalisation).

Duke st, Yeap its expensive but its good, Just like Macs. Friend of mine runs an web design company. Had the whole office kitted out with dells, but had dual/PM in the conerner for testing OS platform apps. Shame though. PCs are much better value..

Home printing rocks.. Have you check out these Black carts that lyson offers? Apparently they give really good B/W results...

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner that come with the built in transparency unit in the hood. It also comes with the negative holders that can handle up to a 4"x9" negative. It scans at 2400x4800 dpi, and with the firewire port it scans more then fast enough. There ARE OS X, PS 7 plug-ins for the scanner, as well as OS 9.x, PS 6 plug-ins. Scanning is easy with it, you can even crop and rotate the negative before scanning it and do batch scanns of up to two stips at a time.

The Epson scanner runs just under $400, and you don't need to purchase anything extra.

As a side offer, I could do the scanning for you, if we can work out some kind of arrangement. ;)

A