35mm Film Scanner for OS X

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kpeterk, Mar 5, 2004.

1. kpeterk macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a 35mm film scanner to scan and archive old negatives. After I'm done with it, I'd like to sell it on eBay and recoup some of the money. Here is my question. Has anyone had any experience doing this and what film scanner would you recommend? I am trying not to go over $400 and would not mind buying a used one. Thanks for the help!

2. pashazade macrumors member

Try Macintouch

There is an ongoing discussion at MacInTouch covering Scanners including Film scanners so have a look here

http://www.macintouch.com/scanners02.html#mar02

Just scroll down to the Film Scanners section.

Regards

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual III, which was $299 and scans at 2820 dpi. It's automated, has its own application plus a Photoshop plug-in and will not only scan 35mm film but APS film too.

I believe I saw where it's being replaced with Dual IV, which scans at 3200 dpi and costs the same.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

when I looked into doing the same thing you mentioned I had difficulty getting answers about compatibility with OSX unless you have Photoshop, which I don't. Is there a decent film slide scanner out there that will work with OSx natively without the photoshop plug in? If not, would the photoshop plug in work natively *(not having to go back to classic I guess is what I mean) with PhotoElements or better yet, PhotoStudio which I already own thanks to .Mac. :D

I really don't want to have to scan everyting into Classic then move to OSx. I want to be able to scan all day long while I am home watching the kids and studying (oh yeah, and posting :D).

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, the Minolta scanner I have does work with Mac OS X.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

does it have to have PHotoshop to work? Or will it work with PhotoStudio or Elements?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As I said up above, :D it has its own application but can work with Photoshop. Photoshop Elements 1.0 is included in what I have but the new hardware may include Photoshop Elements 2.0--I don't know.

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

thanks!