360 achievements vs. wii hours played

Discussion in 'Games' started by thegreatunknown, Dec 14, 2006.

1. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

Ok so when I first started playing the 360 I thought the whole idea of achievements was downright stupid. Now I've realized its absolutely amazing and it is the motivation to continue playing a game. For instance after beating a game I usually would just tuck it away and never see it again but now the achievements give me motivation to go back and find/beat everything and continue playing. It might sound odd but its true.

In comparison, the wii counts hours. This doesn't seem to have the same effect on me because it doesn't motivate me to finish parts of the game.

anyway, just thought I'd ramble for a moment and see if anyone else thought the same.

2. islandman macrumors 6502

I don't have a Wii yet, but I agree that the achievements on the 360 are very addictive. I actually still have Project Gotham 3 because of that.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

achievements are nice and a great innovation for microsoft.

I muist admit I've played through a crappy game just to get the achievements otherwise I would have traded it in straight away.

It also adds a lot replayability to older games as you both have said.

I just wish I could unlock the survive 60 seconds on geometry wars without shooting. That one I've been trying to get for the last 12 months :(

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I dont get accomplishments, who cares? My friends are always saying how they just overlaped eachother and getting in competitions who has the higher score in whatever game. I find if really weird how people can't have fun unless they attach a number to it...

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I completely agree. When I first got my 360, I understood what the achievements were, but I didn't really care too much about them.

After a while, before I started games I would look at the achievement list and try to decide what would be the best way to go through the game to get the most: such as playing at a harder difficulty.

Achievements give tons of life to games. It also makes older/cheaper games worth playing because there is something to gain and accomplish from playing them.

I think a great example of a game with really good achievements is Dead Rising. I have played through the game 4 times now, each time picking different achievements to attain, and I'm still not done.

My roommate bought a PS3 and the first critisism (well, maybe the second, we couldn't stand the light controllers) was there were no achievements. It was hard for us to believe that Sony didn't see how popular achievements have become. Could be a reason why he just sold his PS3 to someone for just enough to cover what he payed for it.

There is something about seeing that message pop on screen that an "Achievement unlocked" that keeps me wanting to get them. I enjoy seeing what I have accomplished, as well as what my friends have done. I also like helping them in games such as Gears of War.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Accomplishments mean nothing to me but to my brother? He was so annoyed when we accidentally set his online account to a new user and losing all his gamer points.

Like upping resolutions, I just see this as a short cut to try and make a bad game good. There is no excuse for a bad game.

When the clocking feature of the Wii was announced I got happy. Not for bragging rights or anything, like in Smash Bros Melee I check up on stats every month or so just to see how many full length weeks I've spent playing that game. If only they had a super deep system that clocked how long you pushed the analogue stick for, how many times you pressed A etc. Needless stats. Love em.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes but if the wii had them people might be tempted to finish turkeys like RedSteel and COD3 on it ;)

You cant make a bad game good by adding achievements or upping resolution, but you can make a good game even better and make it worth a second visit.

And Jimmi dont you think your anti HiDef agenda is going a bit far at this stage, it's nearly 2007, cant you make a resolution now to maybe get over it for Christmas ;) :p :D

Seriously there is more to a 360 and Ps3 game than just resolution, there is advanced lighting and textures, better draw distance and then there is better AI, better physics etc. Play COD3 side by side on a wii and a 360 both as Standard Def and tell me which looks better, because when you do it's patently obvious.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well somebody should tell that to Sony's devs. Who at the moment are pumping out games of PS2 quality with more lighting, better textures and higher resolutions. Oh and look, they're getting bad ratings and were slammed by a number of British publications (Live, Guardian and co.).

I agree there is more to the PS3/360 than a better GPU. Such as Dead Rising and its countless zombies etc. But there is no excuse for taking a game capable of being played on a previous gen system and simply just upping the resolution whilst charging a premium for the console and the game.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Took me a bunch of tries to get that one.

I wish I could hit 250,000 points in Geometry Wars. ;)

10. thegreatunknown thread starter macrumors regular

Thats how I was at first but now I'm addicted to these achievements... not to compete with other people but because I have goals to fulfill in games now. The achievements give you the chance to repeat a game in a whole new fashion. Granted you could just play the game again setting up your own new goals but who does that? I don't care what billy bob has down the street I just want to achieve everything in the game.

now granted, some developers don't see the joy of achievements and consequently don't get creative in this area. For instance in Tiger Woods 2006 the achievements are things like "play online", "beat people online"...
    these type of achievements are for the type of people you are referring too.

11. thegreatunknown thread starter macrumors regular

I think I woulda crapped my pants!

12. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I bought Wii COD3 today because the reviews have said it's good (and much better than Red Steel in the controls dept) but for the lack of multiplayer it'd be very good.

I'll get to try it out in about an hour when I get home from work.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought RedSteel and spent about 4 hours trying to come to terms with it, but got pig sick and in the end traded it in for COD3.

In fairness COD3 is a better game on the wii, but the control system still doesnt work very well, it feels like theyve taken a dual analogue control and grafted it onto wii, just feels off and there a times where you will end up in a spin with no fault of your own.

It's also just not as good as the 360 version which I already have.

14. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

The achievements are perfect for obsessive/compulsives like myself - Now if I only had the time to dedicate to get thosse achievements:D

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There's the rub of course.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That's the first achievement I got in Geometry Wars! :D Funny that shortly after I heard Peter Moore remark how he thought that one was impossible in an interview.

But I think they are great when the achievements are actually good. I have proof I got "Pacifism" and that is fun. Sure, it's only a novelty but a great incentive to keep playing your games and adds discussion topics.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That game gets really hard...I'm trying to beat all of you guys on my friends list. The other game that came with the 360(I can't remember the name) but I play that so much just to get my score up.

I hate raw vs. smackdown 07 but I play it just for the points...its addictive.

Bless

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hexic ?

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Must be Hexic. I have all of the achievements in that game except for the one where you have to get 6 black pearls (I think) into a big hex, surrounding a central hex. After I got the 3 black pearl achievement, I decided I'd had enough. :)

20. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Well, played it last night for a few hours, and once I'd got used to the sensitivity of the controller (and set it so that the gunsight is always at centre) I found it fine and as enjoyable as any of the MoH games (it's the first COD I've played). You can certainly end in a spin if you're rash though. Wii FPSs will get better with time, I'm sure.

My one criticism is of the driving sections. I realised after a few tries that the nunchuck is superfluous apart from giving your brake controls. The Wii clearly doesn't sense steering movement from the nunchuck, but rather from the Wiimote alone/predominantly. That gripe aside, fun game, and the AI is pretty good.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Man I bought RS and two hours later I gave it away(Still tried after I gave it away but it got very annoying). Yes hexic thats it...that game is boring but I must have the achievements so I'll play it until I get em all.

Bless

22. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Sony is lazy and anyone who thinks otherwise deserves a little chat. :p
    I could say the same for EA with their sports titles; with some of their other stuff, IMO they've put noticeable work into upgrading the game to run on the new systems (I say this after playing the downloaded demos of NFS:MW and the 4th Burnout last night on my 360).

I agree with you for the most part, but there are a few things you should consider.

1) Ps3 games look shoddy because the system just came out and developers just got final devkits less than 6 months ago (in all probability) therefore they've had no time to work on cranking out "good stuff".

2) Cell is an unfriendly cpu to develop games on and its completely counterproductive and not efficient meaning they have to spend even more time to crank out the "good stuff" that is easier to do on the 360 with its much easier cpu design.

3) Most 360 games nowadays are starting to show a lot of muscle (not only graphics but effects, sound etc), ie Gears (obviously) but a lot of others including CoD3 (IMO at least), N3 [Ninety Nine Nights] (despite bad reviews I had fun with the demo last night and the chaos of dozens of flying bodies is a site to behold), Army of Two looks real good, R6V, GRAW (which is a launch title obviously). I agree that Ps3 games leave a lot to be desired due to Sony's BS hype, but let's give them a fair shake, right? Wait a year before condemning the system, please. ;) (even though I hate Sony and think the 360 is far better than the Ps3, I've gotta be fair)

4) You're dismissing other games on other systems because all they do is up the resolution on a game that could run on weaker hardware...? Jimmi come on dude, Smash Brothers Brawl could've been a Gamecube game just like Twilight Princess, admit it. :p :D

Downplay its graphics weakness all you want and enjoy the Wii but come on man, the system is practically the same thing that you're ripping the other two systems for yet it's ok for the Wii? :rolleyes: Ooookay then :p Wii games could've been done on the Gamecube but if you (or anyone else) wants to deny the fact then no one's going to stop you.

23. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I have not played too many bad 360 games. Gears of war, Call of duty 2, eder scrolls, condemned, etc all very good to great games. Call of duty 2 is a blast online. I know most people don't like American first person shooters but this one is fun.