360 Actually Quietest Of The Current Gen?

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

wow interesting article, but I'm sure it will insight a riot on this forum, knowing what peope are like here ;)

So the new 360's do have a quieter DVD drive? Doesnt surprise me because the HD-DVD drive is silent compared the DVD drive in my 360.

2. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I can't imagine how loud the other systems are then because when the drive spins up on my 360 is sounds like a washing machine on the spin cycle.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My wii's drive is noisy too actually, more so when accessing a wii disc , than a cube! - To be clear, no way near as noisy as the 360 by any means.

Is your 360 new or from the first couple of months ?

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've got a Wii and a 360... and the 360 is hands down the noisier of the two. In fact the Wii is whisper quiet in my lounge.

If the new 360's have a quieter DVD drive - and this is proven - I may well sell my existing one on a get a new one. And if its definitely true of the V2 360's then I'll be getting one without hesitation. Hang the expense, I want something that doesn't sound like a jet engine in my bedroom!

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My Wii is louder then my NGC but not where near as loud as my friends X360...I had some 9 people over and we could here the 360 even while we played

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

My Wii is super silent, I guess I have a magic one.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I bought my Xbox360 and Wii right near Xmas time. Surprisingly the Wii is much much noisier than a Gamecube but only just slightly less noisy than the 360. They are close.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mmm so there obviously is a new quieter drive then in the 360. Nice.

9. gavd macrumors 6502a

My Wii makes a bit of noise, but like others, not as much as my 360 does! That's shut in a cupboard (with ventilation at the back) and can still be heard with the doors shut!

10. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I bought the first Xbox360, manufactured 11/05. When it broke M$ replaced it with one manufactured 12/06.

Yes, it's definately quieter. The DVD drive on my old 360 used to buzz and vibrate noticably at start-up, the new one does not.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good to hear. Or not hear as the case may be ;)

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My sister's xbox 360 sounds like a jet engine while my Wii is whisper quiet. She can have the sound up pretty loud and you can still hear the xbox 360 in the background, very noticably too.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My friends X360 sounds like a 747 on approach. My Wii i can hear the disc laser thing moving at times, and i can hear the fan spin up. The PS3 is actually the quietest of my two, on occasion i will hear the fans spin up but ive never heard the drive at all.

Ed

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I must admit, I got my first 360 just after launch and replaced it just last week (first one decided it was faulty) and it is quieter, not a lot, but noticeable.

15. mrkamputee macrumors newbie

My wii is almost silent, except for the restart moments when you return to the main menu from a channel.

I've had two 360s since launch (first one died): both have made as much noise as a jet-plane taking off.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's hard to measure, as it seems to depend on the game as well. When I tried playing a few Xbox games on the 360, the drive was a lot noiser than when playing 360 games.

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

My 360 is relatively quiet and the DVD drive is not obnoxiously louder than any other optical drive I've ever seen in a console or a computer.

Guess they put out a quieter drive recently (we bought ours in November'06). :confused:

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thats what all the reports on the net seem to prove. So techincally you have a REV 2 machine ;) :D

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hmm. My brothers 360 was noisy, it got the Red Light of death thingy and got a new one in December. A shard quieter but still the Wii is the quietest. Running noise is much quieter than a Gamecube but the disc use is certainly louder.

This is all very strange.

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I dunno where they got their 360 from but my 360 is heaps louder than my Wii.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My 360 is not loud but leave it on long enough and it will start disturbing the peace. My wii is alright...I can hear it churning away sometimes but its not to that "annoying" level as yet....Out of the big 3 the PS3 is the one...I barely hear it spin up.

Bless

22. mkubal macrumors 6502a

While the results are interesting I would have liked to see the tests be a little more controlled. It looks like all of the holes these are placed in are differently shaped, which could affect the outcome. It seems like he should have sat them all in the same spot and kept the dB meter at a distance one might actually sit (or stand) from the console.

On the 360 optical drive issue: I can remember one of my three(ish, can't remeber) replacements seemed to have a much quieter DVD drive than all of the others I had to that point. Of course my current 360 has the jet engine drive, but I can't complain, it works. :D

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My 360, bought on launch 2005, is extremely noisy. When the DVD drive kicks on it drives me nuts, so much so that I stopped using it for a DVD movie player.

My Wii isn't that loud, a little hum is all.

My PS3 is really quiet 75% of the time but when I am playing Resistance sometimes the blu-ray drive kicks up louder. No where near the 360 but I can hear it.

24. thestaton macrumors 6502

my 360 sounds like a jet fighter on take off. the wii is super quiet and does not bother me at all.