360 built-in wireless??

Discussion in 'Games' started by patseguin, Jan 3, 2007.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

So, I got Gears of War for my brother for Christmas. Problem is, he does has free wireless internet but nothing hooked up to the 360 so he couldn't play the game because it said he needed an update. The other day he decided to load it up again and this time selected to do the update and it worked! Does the 360 come with built-in wireless that I am not aware of? Or does maybe the game come with the needed update?

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

360 has no built in 802.11x, only 10/100 standard issue wired ethernet.
    You can use 802.11x wireless on it with an adapter.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

4. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

essential updates to run games are put onto the game disk itself for those that don't get the updates through xbox live. Without wiring the console or putting the wireless adapter on it you have not connected to xbox live.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

exactly. GOW has the update on the disc. Although there are more available if your online.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And hope it's not broken outa the box... and that the one you replace it with is the same...

7. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

That explains it. I thought he was screwed because he didn't have it hooked up to the internet. Thankfully the needed update was on the disk. I knew the 360 didn't have built-in wireless so I was baffled.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually it fooled me too and I did know. I lent my neighbours down the road GOW and a VGA cable for their projector (as they got a 360 for xmas) and when I put in the game to check I'd set up the projector right, it popped up an update is available, and when I said yes and it updated, I had to double check the back of the console before I realised the update must have been on the disc ;) :)