360 Controller Driver and a Riddle

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac.head.high, Feb 7, 2006.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Riddle me this Batman. If the early 2005 G5 are the alpha kits for the Xbox 360; And game developers have had to test their own games. Then wouldn't it be safe to say that the drivers for the Xbox 360 Controller on OS X already exist, and M$ is just finding another way to block-out their competition?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Uh, they obviously weren't using OS X on the development kits, just the G5 hardware. XBox 360 games are written in DirectX.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Eaxtly as everyone has already said. Those G5 kit's were running a customised version of Windows NT and not mac OSX....

What it does show to me though is how under developed virtual PC was, when obviously Microsoft had a version of windows that did support the PPC architecture...

5. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

It sounds like windows has been living a double life just like OSX. Maybe Mr. Gates was thinking if intel didn't keep he would switch to IBM???

Hahaha, KIDDING!!!!

On serious note though, I wonder how difficult it would be if you had that version of NT, to get it working in like a dual boot scenario and use your G5 as an xbox?

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

a ppc version of windows would be useless still needs to run x86 apps.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True, but at least a lot of the system overhead would be resolved and it would certainly speed it up if they released a PPC NT version, just like Rosetta Emulation on apps.. A damn site faster than Virtual PC regardless..

8. shadowkhas, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

???:confused:

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

As opposed to Apple's Universal Binaries. ;) Galaxy & Universe

Anyway, I think that it may be a possibility that there's a version of windows out there for PPC. After all, the whole technology market is constantly changing, and I'm sure that MS is hedging their bets. I'd almost guarantee that if something better came out in a different architecture MS would at least consider the option of writing code for it. There's already x86, 64-bit, embeded and CE. MS is the type of company that would put their operating system on any platform if available, just to make that extra buck. I don't believe PPC is any different.

11. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually the NT kernel was developed for Alpha processors as well... it was designed to be multiplattform from the beginning(opposed to win95 series) ... heck they even have a posix api
    afaik weren't there some SGI boxes running nt 4.0 ?

and together with microsofts experience with gamepads I doubt they had any problem with the controllers at all

13. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

no wireless WAAAAAA :'( , if only I had known I'd have bought a few wired controllers.

14. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please read this post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170433

As well, most of us on this board who have been talking 360 already have this driver already or this other one:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/utilities/gamepadcompanion.html

But thank you still.

15. shadowkhas, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I thought that the XBOX OS was not Windows based, because if you look it's all based around PPC (now), and Direct X would not work on PPC chips. Not only that, but they have to create EMULATION PROFILES for old x86 based games to work on the 360. But then again I'm pumped on dayquil, and things don't make too much snese right now anyway. :confused:

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

xbox OS's are all windows NT based, why would their be anything to stop direct X from running on ppc the calls go to the graphics card not the cpu, it's just an API.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly... Also those emulation issues are more for the graphics card difference between the xbox & 360 (nvidia & ati).....

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

DirectX would work fine on PPC chips if Microsoft made a PPC version. They have, and it's on the XBox 360.

Microsoft just has the core of Windows NT recompiled for PPC, and a PPC version of DirectX, with ATi drivers. That's the XBox 360.

An XBox game requires the Windows NT core compiled for x86 and the x86 version of DirectX, with NVidia drivers. Thus, incompatible.

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

So if they've made a direct X version to run on PPC chips, what are the chances of getting that installed on OS X? Probably far. I'm not a programmer, though I know a little bit about it.

Would having direct X on OS X gives us a little more reach for games? Not that I want Direct X, and I don't generally play computer games (consoles baby, consoles) I'm just wondering.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the cpu it runs on does not make a difference, to port to a new cpu is easy, just need to eliminate byte swapping issues, it's a two week two programmer job, porting an API to a new OS that is tricky and the whole program has to be rewritten.