[360] Crackdown

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

So I just saw a new HD trailer for Crackdown on gametrailers.com and it is looking really good.

Let me just say that I have never been impressed by anything I've seen from this game. But it really seems to have been polished up a lot, and is looking great.

I like the art style mix of cell shading with standard texture work and the draw distance and city just seem huge.

It definitely looks like this is turning out better then I expected, which is always nice to see. :)

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, this definitely looks like it's gonna be a cool game.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agree with you.

This game seems to have completely turned itself around and is looking a fine proposition now.

Graphically it seems to have got itself together too. Before it was a mess, but recent videos and screenshots make it look very impressive.

A GTA meets City of Heroe's style free roaming adventure with transforming vehicles, what more could you ask for in miserable feburary :)

5. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Demo Impressions

Setup:
    Got a chance to play the demo for a while last night. I should note that before I played, I was not at all considering the game, but I downloaded and gave it a try just for the Co-op. It comes in at 1.24 Gig, definately one of the bigger demos. After I fired it up, I created a Co-op game for my cousin try so we could "explore" the game world. It takes some tinkering with the settings so a friend can join in the demo because sending invites have been disabled. Also, once you level up a "power" to level 2, a countdown timer of 30 minutes begins.

Learning Curve:
    The control setup is somewhere between Lost Planet, and the typical 360 FPS. My only complaint, is that you can't speed up the x & y axis in the demo. In about 15 minutes, I was very comfortable with the layout and no longer concerned with remembering buttons.

Graphics:
    In an interresting turn, Crackdown uses a Cell Shaded look to give it a "comic book" feel. I think that it actually works quite well do to the over the top nature of the game. All in all, a standout among the "realistic" looking games.

Co-op Gameplay:
    This is where the game really starts to shine. Being able to jump super high, pick up and throw cars, and beatdown numerous thugs and throw their bodies at people is fun, but the Co-op is where I see the longevity. Example: you can jump on the roof of a car and stay the while your partner drives around allowing you to pull hit and run attacks. If you choose, you can jump off, and with the vehicles speed propelling you, you can jump quite far. We tinkered around for a while, collecting agility orbs allowing us to jump higher, and run faster. Then we found a "ramp truck", a semi for moving cars that has the back lowered to shape a ramp. We moved it into the middle of the highway, drove back a distance. I jumped on the roof, and we headed towards the ramp. Once he hit it and we were airborne, I jumped and flew up to the top of a gigantic building in the center of town.

Closing thoughts:
    Definately a try anything game. I'll be picking it up for the Co-op alone. The over the top gameplay combined with crazy super-human abilities make for a fun game.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep I'd agree with that. I actually enjoyed the demo more than I thought i would.

It certainly was more fun in Co-Op but its seems a quality game. Will pick it up, (there's not much else out in Feb anyway)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you buy crackdown you get a free demo of Halo 3. Worth buying crackdown for that!

8. shortyjj macrumors regular

I was a bit sore after running home yesterday to finally download the demo, only to find that it was not yet available to Silver Live members.

9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I hadd my doubts about this game - "Oh great another Grand Theft Auto where Grand Theft Auto was mediocre in its own right" Wow it was funI will now be getting this game. now back to more running around

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hey any game where I get to throw car doors at a group of thugs is alright with me:)

I'm not fond of the character jumping animation though...everytime I see it I'm thinking he might fall and break his neck(I know its meant to look like that)

Bless

11. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I'm curious, why did everyone have low expectations for this game? Almost everything I've read praising the demo says that it's surprisingly great. Why is it a surprise? It looked great from the first footage I saw. Maybe there was some early stuff I didn't catch.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to the demo, and it completely exceeded my expectations, which were high. For me, it's on the same level as the first Tony Hawk demo, which I played for weeks on end.

The 'GTA clone' accusations are also puzzling, since the developer is the same guy who created GTA... is he copying himself? The gameplay in Crackdown is miles beyond GTA in my opinion, although the story may be lacking...I haven't played the full game yet, so I'll reserve judgement.;)

GTA was always too realistic for me, as far as the gameplay went. GTA with superpowers and better targeting was what I always wished for, and now it's here.

Edit: Crackdown 2 -- fully destructible environments = heaven

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've been following the game since its first inception.

The original was totally different graphical style, more realistic. It seemed then to change art direction when Saints Row started demoing screenshots etc.

It then changed to this very purplish cell shaded look that looked a bit pants to be honest, and with saint row looking so much better I think people just thought meh.

Added to reports of framerate problems etc..

See it was very ugly and so many purple buildings OCTOBER 2005
    [​IMG]

So its a pleasant surprise to find graphically its pulled together well and looking great. Framerate seems stable etc. And more importantly it's more than just a generic GTA clone.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

To tell you the truth I was not interested in this game at all...infact I'm not interested in any GTA style game....but seeing the demo I must admit it got me a little interested.

Off Topic - Bioshock got me really interested now:)

Bless

14. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Agreed. I'm not a GTA fan at all, but this has a different feel to it. Maybe because it's not 'trying' to be realistic. Because it is over the top action is why it succeeds IMO.

15. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.:)

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just played the demo last night and really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure how long the novelty would last unless it has some kind of storyline to bind the action together. I'll have to give it another run tonight.

I liked the ability to jump/climb up walls, makes the environments more interactive and interesting.

17. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I think the co-op is where fun will be in the game

18. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, I agree. Not to mention the Halo 3 demo

19. shortyjj macrumors regular

Will they ever release the demo for non-Gold subscribers? This is irritating the crap out of me.

20. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I think I have a few 48hour gold trials...when I get home later I will take a look PM you if I can find them

21. ericsthename macrumors regular

This demo is the only thing I've been playing on my 360 recently. Its one of those games you can just pick up, mess around, not accomplish anything and still have fun. You don't have to beat any checkpoints to feel like you've had a good time playing.

Hopefully the various areas in the city will provide different enough experiences (a la san andreas) to add some fun to simply voyaging around.

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Perhaps so. I haven't done any online gaming yet on Xbox Live, so it's only the single-player aspect that interests me. I'll give it another go tonight.

23. shortyjj macrumors regular

I will love you forever.

24. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It also includes a Key for the Halo 3 Beta, a good thing if you have a Gold subscription (like me:D )...

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Ho hum. Played through to the demo timeout last night, and very unimpressed the second time around.

The gameplay makes GTA seem cerebral. They just keep coming at you, you keep locking on, shooting, reloading. There's no real need to duck for cover, just stand there and blast away until you (eventually) die or they stop coming. You can kick them, or pick stuff up and throw it at them, but it's not as effective so I just went back to locking, shooting, reloading.. They seem to have insane range in their weapons, meaning you're pretty much always being fired at which gets tiresome, but you end up ignoring them.

Supposedly you can shoot an opponent in the arm to disarm him, but how you can achieve that level of accuracy in the game I've no idea. There's also no obvious way (that I could find) of switching your lock between targets which is pretty annoying, though perhaps these abilities comes later in the game as you level up.

On the plus side, the physics engine is a lot of fun. On one occasion a grenade blew me off the rooftop onto another, so I had to find a way to the ground to climb back up the right one. The music & sound effects are good too.