360 Crashes and the death of MS

Discussion in 'Games' started by chicagdan, Nov 27, 2005.

1. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

OMG, have you guys been reading the reports of widespread XBOX 360 crashes?

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFkZkkkyEHasmrPqu.php

The hopeless MS apologists at C|Net have even declared the honeymoon over for the 360 http://news.com.com/2060-11199_3-0.html?tag=nefd.aof

... and rumors of recalls are circulating.
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/t157004.html

It's not surprising that this has happened -- MS is not a hardware company. In their hubris to beat Sony to market, they brought out a machine that wasn't fully tested. After the three year overdue fiasco that is Longhorn/Vista, MS needed a quick-to-market victory in the console market. But unless they quell these PR fires fast, they may lose the release date advantage, giving Sony an opportunity to kill the XBOX for good in 2006.

This is a time for Apple to think big and get aggressive. MS is a company in deep trouble. Google, Linux, Sony and Apple are all nibbling away at them ... the time may be ripe for a frontal assault.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

How many threads have we had on this subject so far? :(

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Microsoft is dying.™

The reports of Xbox 360 crashes are overblown. Microsoft has known of the problems since October, but they decided to release it anyway. That tells me the problem is low enough for them that not releasing it would mean lower profits than a recall.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

4. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

If true, that could be a fatal mistake for MS. Look, it doesn't matter if the crash reports are overblown ... image is everything in a product release. MS needs early adopter orgasms over this product, not problems and rumors of recall. If they knew this was a problem and went ahead anyway (and this gets out into the press) MS is going to have a PR disaster of epic proportions on its hands.

5. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

6. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where are they? I searched the site and found none before I started the thread. Point them out to me, please.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah Microsoft are screwed! There is no way Apple would release any buggy products, imagine what would happen if Apple released an iPod that scratched too easily, or a PowerBook with lines running across the TFT? Good bye Microsoft you've gone too far this time! :rolleyes:

Seriously what is it with trolls when it comes to video game consoles?

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

The crashes have only been with 2 games I believe.

It shouldnt be happening anyways

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I agree but lets be honest how many technology companies don't release broken stuff? I work with tier 1 computer hardware and we get DOA stuff all the time, but the amount of stuff I actually look at means the actual percentage of machines with problems is very low, and unless the problem with Microsofts console can be reproduced on every single one this is nothing more than a few (maybe more than a few) DOA boxes getting to market. The same thing happened with the PSP launch, it has happened with the recent 15" PowerBooks, etc, etc, etc.

To name a thread "... the death of MS" is completely over the top, Microsoft will survive this, who really thinks something like this will hurt them?

10. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I've heard reports (from distributors, who kind of know their numbers) that there's a 20% return rate.

It that's true, it means that one in five Xbox 360 is defective.

I wouldn't call that "low enough". But you know Microsoft. Their operating system "have less viruses than Linux". They even have "3rd party" research prove it. :rolleyes:

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

It could hurt Microsoft in the gaming world. Consumers have to buy the thing for Microsoft to be successful.

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Yea I know that a lot of these things. But throughout MS testing, Im sure they knew about this problem, I mean they had to test a lot of boxes and had to see the problem, I doubt none of the boxes they tested had the problem. But of course they didnt hold the launch, because everyone would have been mad, and in the end it would have been a better idea to hold the launch and release a better product. A way better idea then releasing a bad box to people just to get it to them on time.

I got a 360, and I love it.

It hasnt crashed at all. So I guess im one of the lucky ones.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Why does that make you lucky? The people with broken ones are just unlucky you just got something that works fine, like all of the other 360 owners on this forum.

14. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well I am going to buy 1 no matter what. Just set the PSU on top of a box and it never overheats.

15. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Yea thats true.

I guess I just said I was lucky because I have seen a lot of these crashing reports. I have also heard of a lot of overheating issues, however I wouldnt be surprised if this was by user fault, and they didnt place the 360 in a well ventilated area.

16. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The thread topic heading is purposefully provocative ... don't you understand the concept of headlines? Of course MS will survive this, but there's no question that it's a company on a major losing streak, still riding high off innovations of the 1980s. They have two cash cows -- Windows and Office -- and a handful of moderately successful products (XBOX has been a major money loser for them.)

If a rocky XBOX launch leads to Sony winning this round of the console wars decisively, the XBOX likely won't have another generation, meaning that MS has failed once again to expand on the Windows/Office cash generation machine. And given the MS failure to deliver Longhorn/Vista in a timely manner and big questions about consumer adoption of the new OS (many will choose to stay with XP for a long time) MS could have begun its long, slow decline, making this a good time for major strategic competitors like Apple to make dramatic moves.

I'm sure there are some game console freaks willing and able to discuss strategic business issues.

17. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Since the PS3 won't be out for a while, and will pale in comparison to the 360, they have nothing else to do but blow things out of proportion.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The whole 360 crashing thing is being blown way out of proportion. It's just that the few people that have the problem are understandably being VERY vocal about it on boards.

However, the OP is correct that it will hurt Microsoft's PR, even if it is very rare.

I was just going to leave it at that, but then I read Verto's comment.
    ROFL! BWAHAHA!

19. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love posts like this ... pretend to be the voice of reason, then say something completely insane like the PS3 will pale in comparison to the XBOX 360. Let me try it out ... Iraq War critics are blowing the casualty numbers way out of proportion and George W. Bush is the best President ever. Yeah, that's about analogous to your comment.

20. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well at least you're upfront about it.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hate the way peoples attitudes are getting with hardware. "i must be one of the lucky ones" so what? its a gamble is it? You pay godly amounts of money for a gaming system only to be entered into a prize draw? chances are you'll win but its still a gamble.

There should be a watchdog set up for crappy hardware rollouts, get the PowerBook, PSP and 360 in there. show the companies that we don't want a gamble. we've paid enough money as it is.

Reminds me a bit about the world cup tickets. my cousin lives in germany and was trying to get my dad some tickets. but apparently you pay for the ticket, and you may not even get one... with no money back. its a gamble! and will probably scare off a lot of potential customers.

22. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Oh dear...

23. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Try searching for "360 crash", I got several results.. :)

Revolution is cool anyways, but let people enjoy their 360's. :)

Peace

24. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Are we done here with the "The X360 / I hate Microsoft" Thread ? I know this is an apple website but I've seen hundreds of thread here of Apple computer being shipped with defective components. Of course Microsoft is the company to hate so every single little details is blown out of proportion.

Every single company that ships millions of units is bound to have a certain percertage of defective units. I remember Apple had it's fair share of defective Ipod and G5.

Is there defective X360 unit out there ? Yes. 20% of them are defective ? Hell no.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Anybody predicting the end of M$ over this has forgotten the numerous times that Apple's obituary has been prematurely written.

Still, I must say that had I spent my money on a 360 that didn't work I would be cursing M$ right now - I know I was mad when I had to replace my PS2 because of DREs - three times. :mad: