360 downloadable movies

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 6, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe its time to release a 100Gb harddrive...and bundle the 20G with the low end 360, and the 100Gb harddrive them the high end

Put really, how does MS think they can get away with this, and selling there console with not harddrive on the low end?

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I am willing to bet it(the service) will require a link to a xp media center pc

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Nope. All you need is a fast broadband connection and some space on your 360's hard drive.

I do hope they come out with a bigger HD for the 360... with only 9 GB free on my HD, I can't even download 2 movies.

Personally, while I think this is cool, I still don't rent movies. I'll just keep buying DVDs and (starting Wednesday, when I get my HD-DVD add-on for the 360) HD-DVDs.

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

because only a fool would buy a core system and MS knows it.

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

..but that console is for people who just want to game, hence it being cheaper :rolleyes: You want more than gaming you buy a Premium.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If they are serious about HD video it might be time to release a 400 GB model. ;)

8. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

So the TV shows are buy and own while the movies are rental only?
    interesting. I wonder if this is what the iTunes store will turn into... with full 720p movies using the same ideas... [[dreams of iTV (or whatever they're gonna call it)]]
    I'm guessing that they are doing what Nintendo is doing with their Virtual Console, once you purchase a TV show you can always download them in the future to save HD space.

gB

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

As to the HDD, wasn't there that Korean press release with "100" stamped over the pic of the HDD? Expect it soon, I'd say

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My bet? This video content is for the Zune.

After all, there is currently ZERO content available for Zune (other than what users rip; music is easy, but videos? Ripping DVD's is an impossibility for all but the most advanced Windows users. There is nothing as easy as Handbrake on the Windows side of things).
    Zune is not PlaysForSure compatible. It will not work with ANY music or video store currently out there. Microsoft's upcoming Zune store will supply music, but where will videos come from? iTunes, Amazon Unbox, and Google Video aren't compatible...

The answer? This. Microsoft now has some content for the Zune.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well if its like iTunes, i wont expect europe will see any of it....

12. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I think this just underscores that a larger HD (or some kind of external mass storage device) for the 360 is coming.

Like others, I cycle through my demos and trailers and delete them to make room for the next cycle and keep free space on my 360. That's great for content that was free, but for paid content? I gotta have a way to store it.

The meager storage options and lack of HDMI support are really my only two complaints when it comes to the 360.

13. stagecustom macrumors regular

if there not free whats the point, couldn't you just rent or buy then rip it to the xbox or an external usb hard drive?

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes but microsoft dont go in for piracy :rolleyes:

15. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Didn't the last software update make it so that you could play video from a USB device? I don't see why an external USB HDD wouldn't work fine for this.

16. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

good point. If they haven't already officially stated this is an intended use, i'm sure they will.

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Did anyone not notice the quote "Full-length high-definition movies push 5GB in size"?

What!? Surely not, I mean... we need 30-50GB HD-DVD/Blu-ray discs for HD content :rolleyes:

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that made me laugh too. I guess it's all down to the codec and the compression. It's easy, look at some of the .h264 codec stuff thats 1-1.5gb, they easily as good as DVD which is 5-7GB.

So it stands to reason a 5gb well coded / compressed file will be comparable to a HD-DVD sized disc.

That's why I dont think the future is either blu-ray or hd-dvd

19. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

H.264 is good but word on the geek street is that VC-1 blows it out of the water. Not sure what codec these movies use though.