[360] Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Woot! Just 48 hours to go! :D

I was an old school player of TES:Arena and Daggerfall back in the day; I'm real excited for Oblivion on the 360! Who else will have it on launch day?

I was very surprised with the amount of gameplay that Oblivion offers and voice dialog that the entire game fits on one DVD (DVD-9)disc! (Bah, who needs Blu-Ray?) :D

Edit: Oh yea, Xbox Magazine reviewed the game already (a 42+ hour gaming binge) and gave it a 9.5.

2. rjgonzales macrumors regular

I'll have it on day one as well, but I'll admit I'm new to the Elder Scrolls series. I haven't played a game on the 360 that has blown me away yet(Call of Duty 2 has come closest)..... I'm hoping this is the one. The selling of my 360 will probably depend on this game.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm thinking I'm gonna pass on this one... between GRAW and Burnout Revenge and Blazing Angels (also out this week), I've got more than enough Xbox 360 games to keep me occupied for now. ;)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So far this month I've bought, GRAW, The Outfit & Burnout Revenge...

Will pick up my special collectors edition of Elder Scrolls this week and next week I have FarCry & Blazing Angels.......... What a month :D

5. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Try Fight Night Round 3, even if you don't like boxing at all (like me). It's amazing and very next-gen!

So far I've resisted the magic that is GRAW. It's on my Gamefly queue, though!

MacRumorUser, start a thread on The Outfit. I played the demo and it was horrible. Please tell me the game is better than the demo.

6. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Good news, Blazing Angels is delayed (so I heard) -- so get Oblivion! :D

Edit: Or not! Appears that BA went gold. Get it anyway, clayj!

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

The Outfit doesn't "look" net-Gen, but my roommates and I have a great time playing the demo against each other. I might eventually get it, but only when it goes onsale and is a used game. I rented GRAW from gamefly just to make sure I liked it as I didn't take to the original on the XBox, but this version is awesome, will be buying it soon.

As for Elder Scrolls, I never really get into RPGs. Maybe this is different, but I always fall into first-person-shooters and racers. I hope they have a demo for this game on the marketplace, I would be willing to give it a shot.

8. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Early reports are coming out from those that broke the street date...mostly much drooling and people passing out from the awesomness that is Oblivion.

The strategy guide is 368 pages! :eek:

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm not sure a game can get much better than morrowind. That game just recreated the whole idea of modern RPG's.

10. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

If its like the last one, I'll be asleep before the intro is over. Though I may be biased, since I hate first person by default RPGs.

11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Agreed. And in addition to that, I hardly have the free time for a 80-100+ hour adventure...although I wish I did.

12. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Picked it up today along with the strat guide. Unfortunately I'm trapped at work. :(

After just reading through, the depth of this game is, in a word, amazing. Going to have to find new adjectives to describe Oblivion, I fear. It's entirely open-ended character design so you can be whatever you want. The main storyline looks interesting, but it's the ability to roam the entire dynamic world and interact with its people that's the most amazing thing. There are so many quests and things for you to find (browsing through the strat guide) that it in some ways defies comprehension.

Of course, the proof is in the execution so I'll have to wait until later to see how Oblivion plays.

13. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Make a thread when you get Far Cry, im dieing to know how good that game is on the 360, far cry instincts blew me away and that was for xbox, i cant imagine what its like for 360

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Will do!!! ;)

Not fair Don.. 3 day's before I'll get my copy... I want it now.... (he say's in a cartman type wine).... :D

One thing i must say, is the release dates between US & Europe have really improved with this generation of games, hardly any difference at all. Long may it continue.

Noticed things like cinema releases are getting closer too, which makes you wonder why we still have regions. The main reason I believe they introduced region coding was to stagger release dates, especially since things like film releses used to have a 6 - 10 month headstart in the states.. now this has changed to a week or two in a lot of cases is there any real point to keeping region coding..

Especially as cinema's become digitally distributed, no longer having to share reels of film (one of the main reason why europe releases came after the states is that they only make so many copies. once theyve finished showing them in the states they shipped them over here...)

Ireland out of interest will be the first country in the world to have all it's cinema's go digital.

Even a lot of xbox 360 games have been released region free, so obviously a lot of developers don't think so. I for one will be glad to see the back of them.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

for the german xbox360 gamers who want to play the game do yourself a favour and import the UK version
    according to gamestar magazine the german retail release (which can't be switched over to english) is filled with bad translations in dialogs, texts and item names because it it was made in house and not out side like with the speech (which is reviewed as extremly fine and without errors)

link in german:
    http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/rollenspiele/32322/index.html

some highlights:
    "Schw. Tr. d. Le.en.-W." .. should mean "weak healing potion":
    dates sounding horrible wrong "27th of Letzter Samen" (which means "27th of last semen" on top of being grammatical incorrect)
    first healing spell called "Feuerball" ("fireball")
    in the explanation of "intelligence" it displays "constitution/stamina"

and control explanations sounding "Denglish" at best
    - "Drückt der rechten Bumper" "Press the right bumper(?)" including 3 wrong cases
    - "Wollt ihr den Zauber wechseln, drückt drücken" "want to switch the spell, press press(ing)"
    - To ready your weapon or fists. drücken: (sentence half english and

some might think that with those huge budgets they can afford somebody doing professional translations.. it's Civ2 all over again.. except that in civ2 it was editable by the user himself and switchable to english

16. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, I got to play last night for 6 hours. :D

Words fail me to describe this game. I'm trying to find a way to ditch work to play some more. ;)

This is, without a doubt, the greatest RPG ever made. It's nearly perfect in every aspect. You LIVE in a virtual world. There's no other way to describe the total open-endness of the game and the degree of freedom given to you.

I am in awe as to what they were able to do with this game. Obviously, in high definition, it looks great, but its the total gameplay experience that's a real joy. The controls are so easy and intuitive to use that you're moving about in the starter dungeon inside 20 minutes totally comfortable.

For those that didn't get the game, you're probably wise; this game OWNS you. I've no desire to play anything else on my 360 now that I have Oblivion!

Unless the wheels totally fall off this wagon, Oblivion will likely go down in history as one of the greatest games ever made. It's worth buying a 360 to play Oblivion (if you don't have a monster PC).

I'd be happy to go into more detail for people but, in all honesty, I've no idea where to start. :) The combat? Character creation? Walking to any point on the screen that you can see? Stealing? Exploration? The jaw-dropping visuals? The incredible music and ambient sounds? :eek:

Gah! Must. Play. Oblivion! :D

17. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Finished a 12 hour straight stint just now. I'm tired. :)

But it was soooooo worth it. Oblivion is incredible. The funny thing is that I've being doing all these side quests and dungeon delving because they're fun -- also a big thieving stint -- and have barely touched the main plot.

18. Malcster macrumors 6502

Oooh, excited now! :D not out here until Friday, shall have to pick it up.

Incidentally, found this solution if anyone is having any loading delays with it, known issue for some 360's apparently.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=273721

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I've got about 6 hours on Oblivion and am following the path of the Assassin. So far the guards aren't aware of my "evil-doings" and if they ever get wise to it I guess they'll have to die too!

I thought it was kinda funny that during the "tutorial" level both myself and my roommate got picked to be Bards. Of you can choose whatever you want but that was the recommended class. I think it's mostly to do with the fact that we both followed the tutorial. If you really want them to pick a class for you, do the tutorial level then restart and play the tutorial level how you would play it. I did so and got picked as an assassin which is what I wanted to be anyway.

Overall I enjoy the game. I haven't done any of the main quest line outside of the tutorial level at this point. I have about 6 hours on this character, I'm level 5, the 2nd rank in the Dark Brotherhood... fun stuff.

While fast travel is available I would recommend walking/running/horse riding to new destinations at least once. There is much to discover between point A and B and once you've travelled the road once you can fast travel to places you've discovered along the way if need be.

If anybody needs assistance joining the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood, shoot me a PM... but only if you REALLY need help. Half the fun of joining the "underground" guilds is finding them. ;)

20. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Now this might be an ignorant question (actually it is). But are you suggesting this game is like WOW in that it's a MMORPG? or like can one person on XBL help me out on my quest...

I'm sorry about the wording but if this is the case this game has just been knocked up 4 points on my "Awesome" scale.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No. It's not an MMORPG at all. In the Elder Scrolls games there have typically been "guilds" that you join. Not in the MMORPG sense but more in a classical sense of "he's in the miners guild" or "he's in the cobblers guild". There are (from what I can see on the XBox 360 achievements list) 5 total guilds; fighters, mages, thieves, dark brotherhood, and arena. I'm assuming the Arena is somewhat of a "Gladiator" type guild. The fighters are the warrior types, the mages for the caster types, thieves for those of thievery, and the dark brotherhood that of the assassin types.

The fighters, mages, and arena guilds are legal so they're public whereas the thieves and dark brotherhood are of course illegal... therefore they take a bit of poking around to find. I found both of them on my own accord but for some people it might be difficult and as there are very few FAQs out aside from the Game Guide at the stores, I figured people could send me a PM if they really were stuck. However I think you should go about finding it as that is more fun... :)

22. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'm also level 5 and rank 5 in the thieves but haven't joined the DB...mostly because I can't find anyone I can easily kill!

Everytime I sneak into someone's home and wack them when they sleep, they get up and raise the guards. Do I just need to suck it up and go to jail for my crime? I wanted to join the DB but without getting caught. Is this a pipe dream?

Oh, and I'm at work today, sooooo tired from lack of sleep and playing Oblivion and the only thing that we at work are talking about is, you guessed it, Oblivion! :D

I can't wait to get home tonight.

Oh, and purchase the strategy guide. You can skip the spoilers and walkthroughs, but the guide is really helpful in making the game more enjoyable, providing maps, etc.

23. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Can you be in the thieves guild and the DB at the same time? I never really figured that out. Seems odd to be in all 5 guilds at once.

My first kill was... okay I'm at work... there is a bridge leading from the Imperial City heading west that is north of the Waterfront. On the west side of the bridge there is a small village. There is only an inn and a house. My first kill was the guy in that house. He took one stealth hit and 1 normal hit while he was asleep. He had no time to run.

Thus far I've assassinated at least 5 or 6 people and have yet to be caught for any of my actions. Every time I commit an offense I even run up to a guard just to double check... so far so good... I'm a sneaky little guy... ;)

I don't have the strategy guide though. I like to try to figure it out and find everything on my own. If I follow the strategy guide I might as well watch a movie.

24. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Doh! I hadn't even thought of finding a village beyond the guards!

To my understanding, you can be a member of as many different guilds/factions as you'd like. Guess I'll find out tonight. :)

Off to find a victim... ;)

I'm the "Grinch of Thieves"; when I rob a house I take EVERYTHING. In fact, on some nights I raid the house twice because I can't carry all the loot! I hit the fence, sell the items, then head back and clean them out. Yet to be caught as a thief.

25. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

There is a guard near that village. Sometimes he is in the inn and other times he is patrolling around... but at your level you should be able to 2-shot the sleeping person no problem... barely time for a yelp. Killing people in big towns is harder since if they have decent enough health they'll sometimes run and go outside... then yer done for.

I was going to "clean house" at these places but most of the stuff isn't worth anything anyway... plus... my job is to kill without questioning... not to pick throught the leftovers... ;)