360 Elite Poll

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SilentPanda, May 1, 2007.

?

What did you do when the 360 Elite came out?

1. Bought an Elite

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Upgraded from an older 360 to an Elite

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Just upgraded my hard drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Haven't upgraded as of yet, may or may not later

34 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

So who waited for an elite, who upgraded to an elite, and so on? Just curious. I upgraded to an elite from a core and gave the core to my brother.

2. macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

We need a "I don't give a crap about the Elite" option. :p

The elite gives you black color, HDMI (with no visual gain over component), and a 120g HD upgrade.

No 65nm.
    No cooler running.
    No quiet dvd drive.
    No quieter system.

I'll stick with my Premium. :eek:

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That's the last option, just put a bit nicer... :) I mostly upgraded to give my brother a 360 (I'm nice like that) and because HDMI fit my system setup better and I wanted a larger hard drive as I use their video marketplace frequently.

4. macrumors 68040

killmoms

There most certainly is... if you're watching HD DVDs (on a 1080p TV). Otherwise I agree.

But yeah, that alone isn't enough to get me to upgrade from my Premium. At least, not until I have a 7.1 receiver/surround system and can justify the price on the grounds that it'll let me play Dolby TrueHD tracks off said HD DVDs, at which point I'll probably just have a stand-alone combo player anyway, so who cares? :D

5. macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What he said. I think MS just wanted something to compete with the PS3 in the mainstream market. Give it the Name "Elite" and give a couple of shiny feats.

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

Then they go and announce the smaller chip system. 360, bridging the gap between console and PC gaming.

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

Still no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive internally--thus additional cost/space/cabling to get high-def movies, and also no games that use the extra space, as will eventually happen on the PS3.

Throw in the 360's reliability record and the fan noise/heat, and I'm tempted more by Wii--with a possibility of PS3. There aren't enough games for ANY of the three right now, though--not ones that I'm interested in more than the Mac games I still haven't completed!

8. macrumors 6502a

sycho

(This is purely a Xbox 360 HDMI rant, not a console war rant thingy)

Don't forget the big one for me:

No multichannel LPCM over HDMI.

HDMI has always supported multichannel LPCM, PS3 supports it, HD-DVD and Blu-ray players support it, why can't the Xbox? I'll tell you why, the HDMI output was a quicky hack, it literally just muxes the existing video and audio streams, offering no improvement. Microsoft also went as far as to say that Sony put HDMI in when the spec's weren't final, even thought:

a) HDMI 1.3 was finalized before the PS3 came out.
    b) The PS3 has HDMI 1.3 while the Xbox has 1.2 ( :rolleyes: )
    c) The PS3 can output multichannel LPCM via HDMI, Xbox cannot.
    d) The PS3 can output the new lossless bitstreams for external decoding, guess what, that's another thing that the HDMI output of the 360 doesn't offer.

If you can not tell yet, I am very displeased with Microsoft on this console.

9. macrumors 65816

steamboat26

HDMI and a larger HD isn't worth it for me, I just stream all my music to my 360 anyways.

10. macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/xbox-360-elite-vs-classic-the-test/

snip

I'm not saying I don't believe you, killmoms...but they have pictures to demonstrate. :)

After looking over their article and the pictures, I see little to no difference HDMI v component. /shrug

Microsoft has turned the 360 into a 'milk it for all its worth' system IMO. I'm not frowning upon their desire to make money, but for the love of god...the nickel and diming is really pissing me off.

11. macrumors 6502a

paddy

Whenever I read about the Elite I take out my iPod and think "same price way better, thats why I keep buying more". You don't make whats essentially the same product dearer, you keep the feckin price the same!

12. macrumors 601

jaw04005

I sold my 360 Premium to buy the elite. Oddly enough, not because of HDMI, the black color or even the 120GB hard drive. I sold it because Microsoft replaced my original 360 (May 2006) with a refurbished "launch" console.

The refurbished console has the loud(er) DVD-ROM and makes more noise than my original unit. :rolleyes:

It only lasted three months. So Microsoft sent me ANOTHER "launch" console with the same problems. :mad:

At least now WHEN the Elite breaks, I'll get a refurbished Elite model. :D

13. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I love how they used the same loud drive as the regular 360 and use the same 90nm process and still brick the systems...I'll stick with my original launch system and not tempt fate by picking up another one of MS's QA gems.

14. macrumors 6502a

sb58

why would anyone possibly upgrade? seems rather pointless to me. that price is not worth it.

15. macrumors 603

Markleshark

I want the bigger HDD, but I guess that don't matter as it would seem as if Europe has fallen off the world map...

16. macrumors regular

I know some people who bought an Elite even though they have a regular 360. I don't see the sense in this. Sure it has HDMI but if you want it so much, atleast trade in your old 360 to save some money o_O. Plus, if I was in the position, I'd just save up another $100 and get the PS3

17. macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I saw something on engadget about a hack whereby you could swap the stock 20 GB HD for a specific 120 GB HD. A lot cheaper than spending another $180 on a hard drive or $480 on a 360