360 Fall update

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Oct 30, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1030-novemberupdate-completelist.htm

It comes out tomorrow. So far the only cool thing to me is that you can now play video files from CD's, DVD's and USB drives, Sweet!!!

Maybe I am blind but I don't see the DVD upconverting on there. Unless that is what they mean by

"Improved visual quality of video playback."

I hope so because thats the whole damn reason I was waiting for this update.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The 360 already does DVD upscaling over VGA, do you want it over component?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah the long awaited dash update

That's your lot.

But the Video playback still has a big ? over it. Are they still restricting it to dv-ms file format, for stuff recorded in a media center pc. If so this means we still wont be able to play anything worth while (as will most pc owners).

They really need .mov / .avi / .mp4 / .mpg support for the feature to be utilised at all.

As for improved DVD - I have been told by by someone in microsoft customer care that the november update will mean upscaling will now be supported via component too (prior it was only VGA) as they have had to add this feature because HD-DVD will be outputting via component at those resolutions, so the software for the dvd is the same.

You posted as I replied. Yep the new dash is meant to have that feature as i say above. Fingers crossed.

4. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I understand the situation to be as risc described. There will be no upscaling over component. Some legal issue.

Edit: MRU, I heard one of guys on Major Nelson's podcast saying that upscaling over component wasn't going to happen. Perhaps he was wrong, but he seemed like he was pretty involved and knew what he was talking about.

Playing video files on CD/DVD/thumb drive will be nice to have. Although it's only WMV so I suppose it's a push.

Does anyone know when the HD DVD player will be released? Me wants. :)

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yes, I don't use VGA since my TV doesn't have it sadly. Only HDMI, composite and Component.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I too am hoping for the upscaling over Component as I bought my HDTV before HDMI and VGA were being regularly used as inputs. I'm glad to see this is finally coming out :)

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Perhaps the developers of Connect360 can update it to allow video now :)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

arr dont say that, that means customer care probably got it wrong, typical.

Though its weird and very strange that they can do HD-DVD via component and yet not upscaled DVD...

My previous 26" LCD HD-TV does have VGA, but my new 42" PHILIPS ambilight HD-TV LCD only has component and dual hdmi :( oh well I have panasonic dvd player that does it anyway :D

9. mkubal macrumors 6502a

From what I understand it's not a matter of technical abilities, just legality. It seems odd to me, but then again most DRM schemes are.

Also, most people seem to find that the VGA 360 cable results in an inferior picture. I have a VGA input on my 50" Samsung, but I'm not going to waste money on a cable that, by most accounts, results in a downgrade in picture quality. Of course people could just be spreading FUD about the picture quality, but I don't see why anyone would have reason to lie about it.

10. cw2k macrumors newbie

Over VGA:
    DVD upscaling upto 1080p
    HD-DVD upto 1080p
    Games upscaling/native upto 1080p

Over compoent:
    DVD limited to 480p (due to CSS licence agreement)
    HD-DVD upto 1080i (due to AACS licence agreement)
    Games upscaling/native upto 1080p

This info came from the MS rep on the AVS Forum

11. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

...damn it all... well i guess my 360 will go back to collecting more dust once I beat GoW...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Very nice VGA news, it'll be my connection of choice when I get mine. Or S-Video I haven't quite decided yet, that S does stand for suuuuuper after all.

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Hell yes. Cheapest media center EVER. lol

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

and damn site easier to set up than windows media connect ironically :D

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

New Features
    • HD 1080p video mode support over VGA and component cables.
    • Xbox 360™ HD DVD Player support.
    • Stream WMV video from a Windows PC running Windows Media Player 11, Zune software, or Windows Media Connect.
    • Play video from storage devices such as USB flash drives, Xbox 360 Memory Units, etc.
    • Play video from CD or DVD data discs.
    • Xbox 360 Wireless Headset support, including battery level indicator in the Xbox Guide.
    • Video support for 50 Hz HDTV modes (DVD and HD DVD only).
    • Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel support.
    • Set up automatic downloads of newly released Xbox Live Arcade trial games.
    • Support for upcoming release of XNA Game Studio Express (separate download and subscription required.)
    • Stream music, pictures and video from a Zune device.
    Xbox Live Arcade
    • Lightning-fast enumeration and listing of all Xbox Live® Arcade games on the console.
    • Find games quickly with two new sort options: Recently Played and By Category.
    • Have all new Xbox Live Arcade games at the ready with auto downloads. Auto downloads optionally adds newly released trial versions of games to active downloads when you enter Xbox Live Arcade.
    • View full achievement info in Xbox Live Arcade, including icons, achievement point details, and descriptions.
    • Friends leaderboard: Compare yourself with friends and view leaderboard details right from the Xbox dashboard.
    • Tell a friend: Send a message to a friend about your newest favorite Xbox Live Arcade game.
    DVD Player
    • Optionally disable notifications from Xbox Live while watching DVD movies.
    • Improved support for audio streams on incorrectly authored DVDs.
    • Better handling of unreadable discs.
    • Updated count-down timer.
    • HD DVD player support.
    • Added zoom support for non-anamorphic content.
    • Added support to Family Settings to block Unrated Content
    Video Player
    • Improved support for extended all black scenes in WMV content.
    • Added support for Windows Media Video 9 Advanced profile video.
    • Screen saver now becomes active when videos are paused.
    • Now shares UI and player controls with DVD player.
    • Improved video playback while downloading from Xbox Live.
    • Added skip controls (forward approx. 30 seconds, back approx. 7 seconds).
    • Improved messaging around unplayable video content.
    • Added time elapsed and time remaining displays.
    • Improved playback of high bit-rate HD content on fragmented hard drives.
    • Improved visual quality of video playback.
    • Added selectable display modes: default and letterbox zoom.
    Localization
    • New locale setting for China
    • Improved German translations in console settings.
    • Improved German translations in memory area.
    • Improved Japanese translations in Family Settings.
    • Added localized text for all supported languages in pictures area
    • Improved Spanish translations in camera effects.
    • Improved locale-specific decimal denominators.
    • Added localization support for title menu and main menu in the DVD player.
    • Added localization support for “Attempting to Read Media” system message.
    Memory Area
    • Added support for Xbox 360 HD DVD Player content.
    • Added new page for viewing content size by category.
    Other System Improvements
    • Updated support for new Daylight Savings changes coming in 2007.
    • Improved support for games to better handle host migration in multi-player matches.
    • Improved Xbox Live Vision camera support for changing room lighting while zooming.
    • Background downloaded videos appear in video area
    • Improved Xbox Live Vision camera support while using VGA.
    • Playing photo slideshows from PC now maintains picture folder hierarchy.
    • Improved user experience when playing and deleting videos from the Games or Media areas.
    • Improved handling of invalid characters during Xbox Live signup.
    • Better handling of watermarks in gamer cards.
    • Improved text for Windows Media Connect.
    • Improved UI performance in Media Center Extender
    • Improved connection support for Buffalo WZR-G108 wireless router when using Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter.
    • Redownload of deleted Arcade Games no longer re-enumerates all games on the Arcade page.
    • Improved visual display of text in themes.
    • Improved support for CD playback after signing up for Xbox Live and losing network connectivity.
    • Improved support for long names of items memory area.
    • Improved handling of gamer pictures downloaded from Xbox Live.
    • Improved background download notifications when downloading many small items from Xbox Live.
    • Improved support for custom backgrounds after returning to the Xbox Dashboard from the Account Management area.
    • Improved network reliability between Windows Media Center Extender on Windows Vista and Xbox 360 consoles using Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter.
    • Improved voice chat quality in Xbox Dashboard and in-game chats.
    • Improved messaging when failing to connect to Windows Media Center Extender.
    • Improved USB keyboard support when using a USB hub.
    • Improved consistency of user experience when deleting various types of content.
    • Improved handling of low storage space for background downloads.
    • Improved handling of Picture streaming from attached Digital Cameras over MTP protocol
    • Improved error messaging for optional iPod support download when storage devices are full.
    • Improved handling of multi-key repeating for USB keyboards.
      Expanded Family Settings to include support for blocking unrated DVDs and videos.
    • Added ability to clear space from storage devices in download areas.
    • Added support for low-speed and full-speed USB keyboards.
    • Improved CapsLock behavior for USB keyboards.
    • Improved look and feel in Xbox Live Marketplace and Xbox Live Arcade areas.
    • Added redeem code option to Xbox Live signup.
    • Removed system message at the start of new downloads. Messages will be displayed for completed items.
    • Added support for CCV credit card validation field in Xbox Live Marketplace purchase areas.
    • Updated “More Information” instructions in the Xbox Dashboard for connecting an Xbox 360 console to a Windows PC to stream digital media content.
    • Added auto-scroll to long text descriptions in Xbox Dashboard UI.
    • Improved support for DVD insertion while playing a video file.

Just turn on your 360 sometime after 5 AM EST tonight and the Fall Update will automatically install... not necessarily right away, so be patient.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a member of a country that doesn't associate the word Fall as a season, a fall update sounds excellent.

17. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

For you proper English types (although with some accents I have heard you wouldn't be able to tell the language originated from there;) )

"360 Autumn Update"

:D

18. l4t13 macrumors regular

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Just downloaded the update. I like the new look/feel to some of the dashboard. The remaining size of my hard drive now states 6.2GB instead of 6GB. Has anyone tried a DVD to see if it upscales?......what about through component? I don't have the time as I'm leaving for work :)

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I'll check that for you now ;)

still looks like 480p to me for DVD via component. Damn blast.

---------

Ok my Xbox 360 is updated, nice to see it looks for videos from the computer, all we need now is Connect 360 to be updated :)

There is also a weird thing, my games COD2 etc.. seem to have a smoother framerate now (not that they were bad or anything before, they were not) at 1080i they play blindingly.

Even TR:Legends shich used to have a bit of stuttering in the cutscenes is now like butter ?

Anyone tried 1080p yet - post back results of what games look like up scaled as I may be tempted to buy a 24" dell just for 1080p gaming in the new year (to go with my ps3 as well).

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Bad news indeed. I did pop in LOTR quickly and it looks like 480p to me too
    :(

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I guess i'll have to keep using my HDMI dvd player for upscaling then :eek:

24. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Yeah, I was hoping that this update would allow it, but since it does not I'll have to purchase a component upscaling DVD player (which are harder to find and more expensive). Which means I'll have to put off buying the Xbox 360 HD DVD player for awhile now.

25. Zimmy macrumors member

Cant wait to get home and update, been looking forward to trueHD!! thank you Microsoft!! now just release the dam zune in uk before christmas