360 fans get stuck in on mode

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Acorn, Nov 22, 2009.

1. macrumors 68020

Acorn

recently my xbox 360 fans have been getting stuck in on mode. after playing the game and turning off my xbox 360 the fans stay running. after about 2 hours, the fan is still running. i turn on my system and turn it off quickly and the fans finally stops. almost like a temp sensor is not working or something. the fans dont seem to turn off on thier own anymore. any advice? is my xbox 360 dying?

dont tell me to buy a ps 3 i have 60ish xbox 360 games.

2. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do you have background downloading (whilst in powersave on) or anything plugged into your xbox (such as control pads charging).

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

control pad is plugged in. nothing was downloading. its just weird that if i turn it on and off a second time the fan finally shuts off.

4. macrumors 6502

Keeping the controller plugged in will keep the fans on for some reason. Mine does it. Just unplug the controller and the fans will turn off.

5. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

It thinks it's charging the control pad, hence it continues to be on - even in powersave/standby.

Unplug the controller.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

This is great news thanks guys. Ive had my 360 about 2 years now and was convinced something on it was gonna die. At least now I know all is well. Thanks again :)

7. macrumors 68000

lamina

Yup, the fan is on because the controller is charging. Kinda weird that the fan would need to be on to charge something over a 5 volt USB connection.