360 Finally Outsells PS2 In Japan!

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Dec 17, 2006.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

When I first read this I was like WOW!

But looking at PS2 vs xBox 360 its kind of sad that THIS is something for MS in Japan:D

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Are you talking about sales or quality? Coz I've heard some fabulous (but sketchy given that noones played the English version yet) reviews for it :confused:

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My friend in Hong Kong is loving it to bits. He bought his 360 solely for BlueDragon, but then he can speak & read japanese.

I hope it doesnt take 6 months before we see it here, but it wouldnt surprise me.

5. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Saleswise

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And it only took a year :D

Nah, not even the older Xbox really did that well in Japan. So this is good.

7. Malus macrumors 6502

GO 360 GO!

well, seeing as how the GBA micro was outselling the 360 at one point, I think microsoft is willing to take whatever it can get!

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Hey GBM rocks :)

9. Malus macrumors 6502

Oh, im not bashing it, personally I want one, they looks so cool!!

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly surprisng with the good blue dragon launch
    the problem is that next week the numbers will easily be reduced by 66% and be more around 10k (we will see the numbers on thursday/friday) and the next week very likely drop again

what the 360 needs(needed) for japan is 6+ games like blue dragon a year and not 1

what's the next big game for japan ? lost odyssey ? that game is to be released a year from now

edit: oh and the blue dragon bundle price with limited edition facepalte etc. was around 250 $ as far as i heard
    the 360 is insanely competitive priced in japan

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, but you've got to think, thats Nintendo... In Japan. Nintendo could release just about anything in Japan and that would out sell a lot of things. But with the 360 haulin' ass in Europe at the moment and the PS3 not due until March/April/Later Sony better hope the Piss3 does something amazing in the US... which I just can't see...

12. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Even if the xbox360 had 20 of the best rpgs and fighting games(even throw in a game where you roll around and stuff sticks to you) ever made they still would never sell in japan. To them its more important to be loyal to Sony and Nintendo. Knights of the old Republic was a great rpg(how about Fable), but they never gave it a chance. It didn't have the stereo typical characters with the large round eyes, girls with boobs so big they pop out 4 feet and the spiked hair.

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This definitely is good news for 360. It's encouraging to see that a good japanese title can actually get 360 some attention, some even doubted that.

One thing is clear though, Nintendo is king of their homeland once again... and they used the DS to do it!

Honestly I think the success of Nintendo in Japan will help the Xbox 360. Any other system sold takes consumers away from Sony at this point. A Nintendo win in Japan could be the critical blow to Sony even Microsoft needs, as it could help them even in the USA. A weaker Sony = A stronger Microsoft, imho.