360 Game Reviews

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Dec 3, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I'm starting this thread so that those of us with 360's can trade simple game reviews. No arguing please, just biased reviews about your own experience. This won't be as detailed as Don M.'s excellent 360 system review, but I hope it can help some of you make the tough decision about which games to buy. I'll start with the 7 games I have.

Amped 3
    Don't believe the lackluster reviews, this game is a load of fun. Just don't expect anything serious here. It's a tongue in cheek story with tons of boardable area. From what I've seen, every mountain is huge. Think SSX3 times 7. It's that big. Fun missions, tough challenges, and funny characters come together to make this a good time for any age group.
    8.5 out of 10, Rent it first

Call of Duty 2
    Turn the lights down and the surround sound up for this one. Probably the most intense game I've ever played. You'll find yourself jumping in your chair. I have a new found respect for all those who served in WWII. Multiplayer sucks, but the single player is worth its weight in gold.
    9 out of 10, Buy

Perfect Dark Zero
    Cool shooter. Reminisant of Goldeneye and MGS. It's a cover shooter. If you're used to UT or Counterstrike, then PDZ feels like it's in slow motion. Single player missions are pretty sweet. Multiplayer adds a lot of replayability.
    8 out of 10, Rent it first

Project Gotham Racing 3
    My favorite game on the system. If you're a racing fan you will LOVE this game. Amazing graphics, great cars, and online career mode make this one the launch title benchmark. Sound is also terrific. Bizarre put some serious work into this one. It's not perfect, but PGR3 has it where it counts.
    9.5 out of 10, Buy

Outpost Kaloki X
    Arcade title. A space station sim. If you like the economic management part of Sim City the OKX is for you. Rated E, so parents would do well to buy this one for the kids. It's ~$10, and qualifies as educational in my book. The game rewards an understanding of supply, demand, and resource allocation.
    8.5 out of 10, Buy

Hexic HD
    A puzzle game. Kind of fun, but it gets boring fast. Anyone with a wife or girlfriend who's addicted to flash games should show her this. My mom loves Hexic.
    7.5 out of 10, it's already on the system

Geometry Wars Evolved
    Who doesn't love old school 2D space shooters? This one takes the genre to a new level. The 2-D grid is warped by black holes, making for an interesting twist. Gets extremely hard! Fun for everyone and highly addictive. The demo only lasts 4 minutes, but I've yet to see anyone last that long. It's in the marketplace and in your garage in PGR3
    9 out of 10, Download the demo

Hope these were helpful!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good Reviews (I agree with all, but would like to add I'm surprised at the texture draw in on Call Of Duty 2, not many reviews have mentioned it, but it's really iratating to see the high res textures load up as you approach an area or group of people. It doesn't effect gameplay and is still a killer game but it does detract visually).

Now. Add to them.

Condemned - Probably not going to be a big seller,and could be the 360 launch game with most cult status. If you've recently played F.E.A.R (also by Monolith)on the PC, imagine a game with just as impressive graphics, great sound hooked up to 5.1 It's a FPS with a strong emphasis on Melee combat. Brutal and Immersive is the only way to sum it up, with some of the best texture graphics I've seen on the 360 so far. It also has better graphics than monoliths other game. The start of FEAR, The rat in the first building is the size of a large cat and very blocky. Compared to the rat's scurrying about in condemned you can see that this has generally better texture work all round.

9/10 CULT written all over it, Influential you bet!!! Love it.

Kameo More like Star Fox Adventures than Zelda which means that there's a 50/50 chance you'll really enjoy the game or be totally disinterested in it. The start of the game is not great. It feels rushed - like your missing out on the 'how did I get to this stage' important story progression. It's a very strange choice for training levels. However get past the training level and see the story begin to unravel and either you will be enamoured by it's beauty or left thinking 'erm i'll leave it'. If you played SF Adventures and enjoyed it then you will find all the RARE charm present and correct with the usual push, pull, jump, fight adventuring you can handle. If you didn't enjoy SFA then forget it, (rent before buy)

Personally I really like it 8.5/10

Quake 4 I was nearly put off buying this because of lacklustre reviews on IGN and Gamespot. But after seeing a review on GamerTV I decided to buy it anyway and it's great. I have Doom 3 & Expansion on the PC, so graphically the game was completely familiar and I'm glad it's generally a better game than Doom 3 overall. The framerate which most reviews pointed out was very bad at times, doesn't seem too bad to me? Yes the ocasional stutter but it doesnt detract at all from the game. Not the best shooter on the 360 but a good game none-the-less. 7.5/10

Anyone got Tiger, King Kong, Fifa, NBA, Need For Speed Most Wanted?? I'd really like to know owners opinions.

3. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Or maybe reminisant of the original? :p

4. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Probably. I've never played the original.

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I just saw that Project Gotham Racing has a cockpit view :eek: Is that new for 3? I would love to get this system just to race. Oh, yeah. I forgot Microsoft BLOWS. From Costco.com The Xbox 360™ will be available in the Spring of 2006.

6. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I've completed PDZ and CoD2 this weekend. You can verify my gamecard here

Symtex

First and Foremost, I'm not a big shooter fan. I think it's important to mention it before I make my reviews. I only own 3 shooters : Halo2, PDZ and CoD2. I've completed both game on the easy level because of my lack of skill in shooting game. I will try to finish both games at higher level now that i'm familiar with the missions.

Perfect Dark Zero : What to say about this game that hasn't been said already. This game has been getting alot of mix reaction in the media and I can understand why. The game features a different feel and pace then other shooters. So if you go into PDZ with a mindset of playing another Halo, you will be dissapointed.

I'm not going to extend on the story telling features of PDZ because it's not even worthed to mention, Voice over and extremly bad and you couldn't care else about them. You are going to skip them very quick.

The game features lots and lots of weapon. There is also a cool features where all the weapon you found and equiped int he game will be available to you if you redo or next mission. There is some incentive is replaying the game to find all the weapons. The re-load animation are awesome and bring some strategy to reloading.

The games visual are certainly very high-res and shinny. I think it's fits Joanna dark's world.

The games features 13 missions. There is a few interesting boss battle (rooftop mission). and the game have certainly a few "wow" moments. Some of the mission require you to stealth and identify enforcers, others are just kill them' all type of mission. It's almost impossible to die on easy, so kick the level up a notch or 2 if you are a veteran shooter player.

Now let's talk about the multiplayer aspect. My favorite of all is Co-op. I played with a buddy online and its was very enjoyable. Some of the mission have been altered to fit 2 player. It takes coordination and strategy to go thru those mission on higher level of difficulty.

There is also other multiplayer modes like capture the flag, deathmatch, Territory and DarkOPs. I haven't played all of them so I will restraint from commenting on them.

Overall, if you like multiplayer and enjoy co-op this game is for you. If you only enjoy single player mission, you might find this game good at best,

So my overall score is 8.5/10

Call of Duty 2 I never played the first installament of Call of Duty so I didn't know what to expect. There is so many WWII shooters out there so I was kinda of wondering what everyone was raving about.

The game start with a training mission that shows you how to aim and throw ggrenade. I laugh so hard. you get to throw grenade in the game but in the training, they nerfed it to a potato.

If I had to describe the game in 1 word it would be : INTENSE. The game suck you in so quick. You really feel like you are part of a war from the get go. The visual are outstanding. Just throw a smoke grenade and you'll understand what i'm talking about. If you have a 5.1 Sound System at home, you are in for a treat. It bring so much to the warfare experience. I found myself litteraly trying to dodge bullet. Be advise, your neighbors might not like you playing this game...lol. Mine has been very cool but he might of taught I was watching Saving Private Ryan all weekend..

There is over 27 missions in the game. Each and everyone of them is a based on event that occured during the WWII. You start with a primary objectives but things always change as your progress thru each mission. Word of advise : if you hear your squad leader yelling : Panzer or MG-42 : Run or hide. this is the most immersive game I ever played. Your heart rate will go up on this one.

I didn't even played multiplayer yet and I don't intend too. I'm going to redo the mission on an higher difficulty. This is something I don't normally do when I play shooter. I go thru them once and toss them aside. Not with CoD2. You want to redo the mission over and over again. That's how intense it is.

So my overall score for CoD2 : 9.5/10 ( No co-op online is why i deducted .5 points. otherwise it's a perfect 10 for me).

Side notes : I've also played Kameo this weekend. The first training level is very boring, don't give up yet. Once you finish it, the game gets much much better. I've got 5 elemental warrior done. I'm going to have to rent it again to get the rest. I've also listen to MajorNelson Blogs with a Kameo tester and there is alot in the game that I've previously thought. If you want to listen to MajorNelson's blog go to here MajorNelson

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Symtex, what do you think of NBA 2k6? I see you have that and I've been eyeing it for a tad.

Intense is a good word for CoD2; I can only play that game in 1-2 mission bits without needing a "rest break." :D

8. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Same here. 1-2 mission and "rest break".

As far as NBA 2K6 is concern, I think it's one of the best basketball sim ever created. If you have like the 2k sim aspect, you are going to love 2k6. I haven't played NBA as much as I wanted to. You can blame that on CoD2 and PDZ coop. You can't go wrong with NBA 2k6. Give it rent, you will enjoy it.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i also have nba2k6, and i like it a lot. i mainly only play sports games anyways though. (i have nba2k6, madden 06, pgr 3). so far nba 2k6 is a great game. looks great also (you see the sweat, more sweat late in the game, the jersey moves with the players - best thing i've seen in a basketball game)

10. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Tiger Woods 2006 (EA)

Another "cosmetic" upgrade by the kings of cosmectic upgraders, EA

Excellent Graphics All Round, Courses Look super detailed as do the Golfers (Tiger himself looks a little messed IMO (Probs with skin compelexion))

Gameplay

Be Prepared to be disapointed.

EA have messed up the controls (Which spoil the whole experiance)

To add power to your swing, you must use the LB, which makes it hard to take swing (will Lstick) and tap LB to increase Power of shot

Very Disappointed

Xbox Live

When i began connecting to XBL with TW06 i was prompted to join EA (You must accept to continue)

Online with TW06 is quiet, i waited for half n hour to get a gae with someone, but no luck

Again Very Disapointed

Single Player

The single player aspect of the game is great, very Long carear mode + tons of unlockables, and loads of mini games

I like the game overall, and IMO its an 6.5/10 (Cause of the controls)

Note to Tiger Fans, If EA fix the controls, its an easy 8.5-9/10 (IMO)

PS: STILL the best golfing game around (unless u consider "Monkey Golf" from Super Monkey ball a proper golf game)

FIFA (Unopend), will be returned (Got it in a package)

11. nimbus macrumors regular

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc

I heard that Amped doesn't have anything on SSX.

King Kong looks kinda interesting, graphics-wise. Gameplay-wise, no thanks.

Xbox 360 games have framerate problems? Wow, I haven't really heard of the normal one having problems. Yep, I'm gonna wait till the real boys come out.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

12. Uma888 macrumors 6502

No problems where i am

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Keep those reviews coming so in March when I can finally pick up my preordered Aussie 360 I know what to buy. BTW what the hell is up with Microsoft giving me PD0, an extra controller and a bunch of other crap to look at for the next 3 months?

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Can you change the controls? I ask because (don't laugh) my mom likes to play golf with me on the TV. She's 65+, so fiddling with a bunch of buttons isn't really an option. The original controls for Tiger Woods were easy enough for her to use.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Quake 4 revision. Just finished the game. The framerate does indeed stutter here and there but this is only really noticeable when running at 1080i. At 720p the game is far far smoother experience.

Also last night I decided to hook up the 360 to our Dell projector (which rarely gets used). So after setting up and connecting the component to the projector I played Kameo with a 65" 720p screen. I spent most of the 2 hours playing just wandering around admiring the stunning graphics. This really does look far better the bigger the screen you play it on. It looks great on my 26" LCD, but on the massive screen in looks truly awe inspiring.

Decided before finishing my play for the night to have a blast on PD0 and Quake 4 on the big screen. Again they looked great, really showing the move to next gen hardware. More so than on the lcd.

Tonight i'm trying out project gotham, call of duty 2 and condemned :D

Wanted to also mention that Xbox Live works over ISDN for those living in remote places with little chance of broadband in the near future.

The market place etc all work but downloads obviously take longer. Online gaming so far is so so..

Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham both worked no problem with not much noticeable lag.

However Quake 4 & Call of Duty 2 were very laggy indeed. Mind you Quake 4 multiplayer maps really are appaling, so not much loss there.

Shame you cant play Call Of Duty multiplayer maps with bots.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    CALL OF DUTY: VETERAN DIFFICULTY

Alright, I'm on the 3rd to last mission. This game is insanely hard on VETERAN. You remember LEGENDARY on Halo 2? Times that by two.

AI: Great. Your guys are still a little stupid at times, but they saved my ass more than enough. The enenmy AI is very smart, they will move wherever they have to to get a shot at you and your boys.

STRATEGY: In the normal difficulty, you could easily sit back on the defensive and wait and angle off shots, sometimes needing a smoke grenade or placing a nice stick grenade soemwhere. Not in this. A LOT of the time, you are expected to be on the offensive.

Sometimes charging a Nazi outpost is the only way to push them back and gain any ground. Most recently, I was surrounded by 4 houses. After numerous deaths, I decided to head to one of them, throwing a grenade in the foyer area when the NAzi's come charging out killed them and allowed me access inside. From there there were only two more on the main floor, and two quick grenades killed the three upstairs when they were shooting at my buddies.

The commander will even tell you to go in and they will cover you. You do the dirty work, they clean up.

CoD2 is by far one of the best games I've ever played, and I cannot wait to beat it on Veteran.

Has anyone played Ridge Racer yet? It looks damn good.

17. Scruge macrumors member

the original owned so much :D i was in 5th grade when i first played it

18. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

19. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm interested in Madden too... I've heard on average a "meh" review... I'm skeptical to buy it but I'm a huge football fan

20. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Madden looks amazing, the gameplay is pretty meh considering there are no more challenges. the franchise mode sucks.

honestly. I regret buying it. And i wasted half my life on Madden 06 on the regular Xbox.

But it can only get better right???

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ditto. Set it down to "Pro" and had more fun, but blew out the computer 108 to 7 (with the Saints). Back to "All Pro" I go.

The game is just annoying, from the missing features, the removal of the fast play clock option, and so many other things.

22. Uma888 macrumors 6502

No u cant :mad: I mad too, i cant get the hang of it, TW06 will be an unpleasent experiance

23. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Its almost impossible to complete a pass on all madden level

and i went 7 - 30 with peyton manning.....

:mad:

24. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Maybe you should try Rex Grossman as quarterback.;)

25. Uma888 macrumors 6502

/Begin Rant

If its EA (Which currently holds ALL licences to Madden and NFL Based games), No it wont get better.

They are the market leaders in "NFL" games, they can continue to produce "shoddy" games, and people will continue to buy them (only cause there is no choice)

Other "shoddy" games include the:

Fifa Series (Pro evo AKA winning Eleven, is closely 2nd)
    NFS Series
    NHL Series
    NBA Series
    Tiger Woods (As iv said above, they have messed up the control system)
    Battle Field (COnsole version is Neo Con loving e.g neo con tv LOOL)

(Only when EA loose market share they will (might) improve thier games)

This begs the question : Are the Burnout series Next?

God i hope not

And IF EA buy Ubisoft, then say goodby to all the other cool games (POP, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon & Rainbow 6 and others)

/End Rant

:(