360 GB Hard Drive(s) in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kgarchar, Nov 16, 2006.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

2. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

It looks like it is also available in powerbooks but only in the 17in mbp (and not the 15in).

An awesome option for those who need the space and don't mind ditching the superdrive.

3. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

well i guess it's a pretty sick idea for people who want to void their warranty.

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Meh. As long as you are careful Apple will never know. The keyboard\palmrest is pretty easy to take off and from there the rest is cake.

RAID 0 or 1 anyone?

5. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

well when it is sent to apple care they do whatever they need to assess your problem: "pretty easy to take off", "won't notice". also a common problem is a faulty logic board. Just about every hardware problem, any computer needs to be disassembled. Sorry to burst your bubble but They will notice it as soon as they open it and it'll be easy to notice that there's an extra hard drive in there.

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

... they won't notice if you change it back prior to sending it in to them to get it fix.

I highly doubt he was suggesting that an apple care employee wouldn't notice a HD in place of the superdrive.

7. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wonder how it handles the extra heat, especially in clamshell mode...

9. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Did they fail to mention the 200 GB harddrive because its so new, or is there some reason you can't have two 200 GB harddrives in your computer at once?

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I likes! I likes! :eek:

I'd much rather have two internal drives and have the CD/DVD external.

11. moreover macrumors newbie

This seems only available for the MBP 17in. As for swapping out the drive: not difficult, I just did it in the MBP 15in, took about 30min. The 17" also has a higher capacity battery so power is less of a concern.

12. skippy911 macrumors regular

I just spoke with the company on the phone and they are going to have one compatible with the 15" MBP next week. I still think 400 is way to overpriced for something like this but it is a nice idea.

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

They didn't notice my upgraded hard drive because I replaced it before I sent it in. I'm clever that way. :rolleyes: Gah we aren't talking a leap of logic here.