360 gets Downloadable TV & Film Content

Discussion in 'Games' started by Piarco, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

As its the 360's birthday, a new Video Marketplace has sprung into existance.

Any comments on the pricing? Is it even available in the UK - something I doubt as we don't even have iTunes TV series yet...

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's nice for the Xbox crowd. Now bring me TV shows and movies (both buy and rental) for iTunes in Norway.

3. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Stand aside my Norwegian chum - we're first in the queue waiting for iTunes movies and shows! Hell, we don't even get all the same music videos as the States!

ANd looking at the more indepth breakdown at Joystiq the organisation of the shows by channel should mean that we won't be getting this in the UK. And I can't verify until 9pm at the earliest, so if anyone can report back I'd be most interested...

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Pricing seems reasonable compared to a rental service such as Blockbuster.

The biggest problems I foresee are (1) even if you have BIG pipes to your house, downloading a 6 GB HD movie is going to take all night, and (2) with only 10 GB or so available on the hard drive for the average 360 user, you can only download maybe one movie and a couple of TV shows before your hard drive is full. Of course, the movies expire and will go away once watched, but still... we need a bigger hard drive option for 360s. I'd like to see something in the 100 GB+ range, plus a way to transfer stuff off of your old HD onto the new one. (And yes, I know about the third party options in this area.)

5. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

I agree with all your points clayj - in fact when I just pointed it out to a colleague, I did say that this must mean a bigger HDD. I've got around 4GB spare due to demo's and Arcade content.
    There's no way I'm leaving the 360 on overnight as its attached to the HDTV in my bedroom (the Wii will be the lounge console) and it will keep me up with its noise and keep me a little too warm... although its one way to keep down central heating bills come winter :D

I think a 40-60GB HDD should be around the corner. I'd like to be able to dump the majority of my non-protected AAC files from my iTunes library onto the 360... especially since I'm getting some decent speakers for it shortly...

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

6gb HD film? Forget all night, that's all week for us. Cummon BT :mad:

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If HD movies are only 6GB why the can't they put them on DVD's? :confused:

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Actually what they did was open up the system and allow them to be saved to external USB devices, right? So they don't actually need a bigger HDD, just hook in your iPod ;)

9. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

you can take stuff off the iPod, but i'm pretty sure you can't put anything on it.

10. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

so how much is the average tv show? 1-2 dollars? or more?

How much is the movie rental? 6 dollars plus?

I have not tested this but i will tonight :) any input is welcome as I am at work.

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

shows are $2 for SD, and $3 for HD. I don't find that too bad as I wouldn't be buying every episode. I think I might take my external USB drive and attach it to my 360. It has 250gig, should be plenty of room.

I kinda wish there was an option to just buy the movies for say, $15. I would buy The Matrix and V for Vendetta in HD.

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Those HD movies are 720P..1080P will take a lot more than a dual layer will hold.And MUCH bigger "pipes"

13. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

looks pretty cool...

I downloaded a mooninites episode and it looks FAR better than my crappy digital cable.

Downloading V for vendetta now.

I really think this is the way things should be headed but without the ***** DRM restrictions that exist now.

If they would get that working right I would ditch the idea of even getting a HD-DVD or BLueRay and go straight to download and archive. Sucks they have the wacky restrictions.

The downloading doesn't bother me so much, as i usually queue up a bunch of downloads before i hit the sack and let it fly anyway.

I sure hope that Apple announces iTV as available in January. I'm really starting to enjoy the idea of one giant media archive accessible from my entertainment system. I'm already ripping all my DVDs to my harddrive in preparation.

nice move by microsoft, maybe it'll turn up the heat on Apple a bit. A little competition never hurt consumers.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Just fired up my 360 to have a look. Nothing for Australia as expected...

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I tried that last week, downloaded Lost series 3 episode 1 in 720p. 2 days later (normally takes 6 hours) and it's here. And that's what? a good few years before these next-gen video formats drop to a nice price. wasn't bowled over by the HD of it all though, just made the effects look cheaper and didn't change my life.

What I don't get is why HD versions of SD shows cost more. Didn't they cost the same amount to produce the show in the first place?

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

They take up more room on the servers hard drives so they cost more, and if you are talking about DVD v HD-DVD/Blu-ray well less HD players on the market means content costs more.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well why the sam hell don't the put out 720p DVD's then?

Oh well, upconversion will work for me until Sony and Toshiba learn to play together.

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'm guessing it's because the typical DVD player.I mean the REAL typical DVD player doesn't support A.Dual Layer DVD's and B. many don't support Dolby 5.1 :confused:
    It could also be because the 720P videos downloaded are compressed and actually come out in typical DVD clarity.

Why produce a DVD with 720P when HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are coming out now.
    Money? Greed?
    Your guess is as good as mine.

19. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

This must surely mean a larger xbox 360 hard drive is very very close to being released.....

ShadoW