360 gets HDMI port. OR Maybe Not Update !!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 21, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From IGN

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

This is awesome. Why the average gamer would choose a PS3 over one of these now boggles the mind!

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have a feeling with HDMI port support.

Surely it's only a matter of time before the HD-DVD drive is thrown into the machine as standard.

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It makes sense that Japan get it first, as they have a higher adoption rate

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Indeed, why just drop the price of the console when you can charge the same with a built in HD-DVD drive?

Good going MS. This will likely be my TV's first HDMI usage.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Thanks MS... shaft a group of VGA users (including myself) with the 1080p update, and then a solution that can get around it comes out... possibly Japan-only and requiring me to get a new console if I want to take advantage of it? Possibly in a bundle-only package as well? Now isn't that just great? :rolleyes:

You know, I am starting to wonder how much the XBox team is wanting to play catch up, thinking that causing market fragmentation within their own buyers isn't a potential problem. They were better off leaving 1080p support and HDMI out, or doing it right on day one, IMO, instead of doing this 'for' the 1080p adopters that thought MS would just release a cable, and bought the system anyways.

Shame on me for believing this wasn't coming. :(

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hold on... shaft VGA users with the 1080p update? What did they do?

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only issue I know about is that some Sony Bravia televisions are not working with 1080p VGA... Not sure what else.

Personally I suspect it will be at least next holiday season to see Xbox 360 Rev.2 for europe & america, with HD-DVD built in and HDMI as standard.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Come that day I might buy. My DVD player's getting a bit old and HDTV prices will hopefully have dropped by then. Christmas '07 sounds like a great time frame for me. :)

10. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

The only models working with 1080p over VGA are Samsung (no surprise here, the entire XBox team uses them), and some other models based more on PC panels than designed for TV (like Westinghouse).

Add to the fact that few models currently accept 1080p over component (and I mostly wanted 1080p for HD-DVD, ruling out component)... and that leaves me in a really annoyed position.

Although I am seeing rumors through avsforum that the 'surprise' Nov 22 announcement is likely an HDMI cable... for 70$.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

That would be cool. After all we all assumed that the 360 couldnt output 1080p, we were wrong. We all assumed it could only output analogue. This could be wrong too.. Keep our fingers crossed it would save a lot of people grief.

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

They give with one hand and take away with another.

God bless IGN :(

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hopefully quashes a Rev 2 idea... I think that is a bad idea for a console, a real bad idea. I'd be pissed, anyway... I was annoyed enough at having to buy a £22 64Meg flash memory card to backup my save games after paying nearly £300 for the premium console...

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

What, doesn't it save game saves to the hard drive?? I don't see a problem with a Rev 2 with HDMI out. Sony released a PS2 mark 2 and a PSone without any problems. Adding slight functionality wouldn't matter as long as both consoles can play the same games. There was the Megadrive and the Megadrive II too if I remember and didn't you have to have the second model to use the Sega-CD.

I would prefer it if they released some kind of cable for the 360 although I don't really see how they could do it since there's nowhere to plug it in.

15. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

What about releasing a 600$ 360 with the HD-DVD addon and HDMI (it would go against PS3 nicely) and keep the other 299 and 399 offerrings... would be nice.

16. Mysterio macrumors newbie

Why? Well, because:
    • PS3 supports the installation of regular computer operating systems thus can be used for various tasks (Linux)
    • support for a next generation disc format out of the box (don't pay $200 later for external drive)
    • FREE online community very on par with Xbox Live
    • Includes web browsing without any need for another prementioned OS

Just to name a few decent reasons. I personally own a Xbox 360 and will buy a PS3 to use in conjunction to it. All in all though, I like the Playstation 3 as a complete package more, and assuming it gets as many good games I will eventually dump the 360.

17. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The regular operating system installation doesn't interest regular gamers (it really interests me though) and I don't think Bluray is a big factor for *most* gamers. This is why said regular gamers earlier on. I admit the online community thing should be free but the web browsing functionality I don't think would mean all that much to most regular gamers.
    I really like the PS3 hardware wise, I just think the Xbox 360 is a *far* better buy for most gamers at the moment. Were money not an issue I'd absolutely love to have a PS3.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

if MS does this I will be very angry. Nice way to treat your first adoptors :mad:

19. Mysterio macrumors newbie

Bluray will be a big issue soon when people see the price tags of normal Bluray or HD DVD players. Hell, it will be an issue to average gamers when the PS3 versions get far more content included. Think about how confusing it will be to XBOX 360 owners when there are 2 versions of ever game; one for regular DVD 360s and one for HD DVD 360s; it isn't going to work in the long run.

Web browsing could be a big thing if online communities spark up for PS3's; perhaps even communities of mods or downloadable content outside of the PS3 network. The possibilities of these two features alone are huge.

20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If web browsing becomes important Microsoft will add it in a firmware update for sure. They've also stated that no Xbox 360 games will use HD DVD as their storage media. If they do start to have games that use the extra space chances are they will come on hybrid disks with one layer containing a standard DVD version of the game and one version containing the HD DVD version of the game. Its within our current technology and it would be cheaper to use hybrid disks like that rather than having two sets of packaging and two times the number of disks to send out.

I agree that Bluray will become more of a factor, especially for non-gamers but Sony could have shot themselves in the foot a bit with that one. Right now the PS3 is the cheapest solution for playing Bluray movies. The PS3 also loses Sony a lot of money right now. By the time Sony starts to make money on PS3s there's a good chance that stand alone Bluray devices will have come down in price and will be a more attractive option for non-gamers.

21. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

As for the 360, I don't believe that MS will ever let a game go out on an HD-DVD disc. That is a bit much for people to swallow. I think the most likely scenario is that the premium eventually becomes the 300$ model, and a 400$ replacement will bundle the HD-DVD drive for video playback. Of course, this is guessing, and talking about 2 years down the road. (BTW, I am both annoyed and relieved about the HDMI update. :p)

As for Sony and Blu-Ray... Sony doesn't need the PS3 for Blu-Ray once players drop in price. The thing is, with sales numbers just breaking 100k for either side... even the anemic sales of 300-500k for the PS3 so far is enough to move Blu-Ray into a spot that will take HD-DVD awhile to catch up in unit sales. Yes, not all PS3 owners will get Blu-Ray discs, and MS' add-on is trying to reduce the gap the PS3 will create, but that is a gap that the movie studios can't entirely ignore for very long (as is a larger install base they need to manufacture for).

22. slick316 macrumors 6502

What I can see them doing:

Get rid of the core model.
    Lower price of the premium model to $349, and add a larger drive to it (80GB just to one up Sony).
    Make an HD DVD bundle, including the same new premium model with 80GB HD, and the HD DVD drive and full size remote for $499.

If they did this in the spring time, when I suspect the PS3 will be in proper production, MS could put the hurting on Sony with these updated 360's at lower prices.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I take it you take everything Sony says as truth rather than what the reviewers say?

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. A lot of people do i'm afraid.

25. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Oh yeah, but I want to make backups incase of corruption, and for that I had to buy their memory card. It sees me USB Pen if there is music on there, and plays that, but I can't use it to backup onto... Bah!