360 gets larger memory unit, expanded Live Arcade size restriction

Discussion in 'Games' started by zero2dash, Mar 5, 2007.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm happy about this. I'll probably get one of the 512mb cards just to keep a few of my arcade titles on my spare 360 so I dont have to keep moving about the HDD.

3. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Good idea...I guess this is the only alternate method of keeping a backup/reserve copy of Live Arcade titles? I would try saving them onto a USB drive/USB smart disk but I guess it's not possible? :confused:

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

This is a good move from M$ shame they didn't plump for a 1gb memory unit especially as flash memory is so cheap these days...

Anyhow defiantly picking one of these up, anyone got an idea of the European price and release??

ShadoW

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't see why they can't allow pen drives to be used. Potentially unlimited storage space etc. Just stick in some top class encryption to prevent them being copied around.

doesn't seem like a 360 thing to do though.

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yup, certainly doesn't sound like a M$ thing to do im afraid.

7. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they could, but if you were able to choose between the MS branded 512 MB card for $50US and a no name 2 gig thumb drive for half that price, which would you choose?

Obviously it's a money maker for MS. The same with the proprietary $100 20GB hard drives. $5/gig = ludicrous.

I would have liked to see them announce that they would release arcade games as they were certified as opposed to spacing out the releases so that people that are desperate for a new game are almost forced to buy something like Root Beer Tapper. IMO, nothing arcade wise has bested Geometry Wars and Marble Blast, which is sad considering how long ago those were released (at launch?).

8. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I agree, but there are some other goodies out there I found worthwhile (Uno, Assault Heroes, and Heavy Weapon come to mind) as well as up-and-comings/recent releases like Worms, Alien Hominid HD and soon Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I loved the few minutes of Alien Hominid I was able to play the other night before my 360 kicked the bucket (especially since it was the first time I'd ever played AH).

They do shoehorn a fair amount of crap out there or a lot that cost a little too much, but there's some good "classics" available amidst the few duds.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I was thinking about picking up a memory unit, just seems like a good idea to have one. Would be nice to have a backup of my live account information and such.

Now if only Microsoft with drop the price of the wireless adapter by half and come out with an HDMI cable, I would be all set.

10. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I feel for you on the broken 360, I'm on my fourth. I know how much it sucks having a game you really want to play, but no 360 to do so. :(

The only arcade games I enjoyed (besides Geo Wars and Marble Blast) were Cloning Clyde (very fun) and UNO (somewhat fun). All of the others, IMO, have either been terrible games or the controls sucked. Thankfully I can establish how much they suck by trying the demos.

What ever happened to that Mad Tracks game (or whatever it was called)? It looked really fun. And what about XNA? I thought we would see the YouTube of user created games. Not so much.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats what Nintendo should do too...and Sony if they currently don't.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. The announcement of the SD drive waved byebye to dated proprietary memory cards once and for all. If only they were supported in game, rather than purely for backup purposes.

13. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yeah, I have a two gig SD card I bought with it, but I don't really have any use for it yet.