[360] Halo Wars

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Sep 28, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

http://www.halowars.com/

Holy smokes! This is from Ensemble Studios, the folks responsible for the Age of Empires series. Play as UNSC (human), Covenant, or Flood forces.

Sweet!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is that sweet with dual analogues? This really needs to be PC only, or at least release a mouse for the 360.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jimmi - you shouldn't pre-judge.

LOTR BFME2 on the 360 works very well with the xbox 360 controller.
    Hell even SimCity on the SNES worked very well with digital pad.

When done well, an RTS & Simulation can work very well indeed with a console interface and control pad.

Besides their is no feasible reason why mouse & keyboard wouldnt be supported seeing as though USB wired & wireless keyboards are supported by the xbox 360 itself anyway. It's just up to developers to choose whether they use it or not.

Whilst I'm not the biggest RTS fan on the planet, it's interesting to see what Microsoft are doing to help solidify their position.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

according to the FAQ it's 360 only

that aside for RTS on consoles .. even for the lord of the ring game most reviewer still say while it's "ok" it's hardly on par with the computer version

on the other side i wonder who they are going to appeal with this game besides big halo fans who also seem to like RTS games .. it's kinda niche of a niche game ... wouldn't an age of empires spin off be more practical ?

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hmmm… I hope they do better than LOTR BFME2. I own it but I got tired of it before completion because of the controls. We'll have to wait and see.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I didnt like the game anyway and chances are I wont like Halo Wars (is suffixing your brand with 'wars' the new cool :cool: ? i.e. Quake Wars) as I dont find them compelling, but that's just me..

But I'm sure they will do better job than EA. (can't be that hard can it)

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I thought this was for PC too. On gametrailers.com it says 360 and PC. It'll be a whille before I get a 360, but if this comes out for PC, I'll give it some consideration. Right no Starcraft is enough RTS for me.

9. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i don't want an RTS for my 360 =/ i want it for my PC. if they're smart, they'll have both versions.

10. Motley macrumors 6502

And Halo returns to what it originally was supposed to be. Does anyone know when this takes place, because don't the humans constantly get their butts kicked in the Halo universe?

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

This seems like a cool idea, but i'm not a big fan of this type of game, maybe this will get me into them.

12. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

It's supposed to take place before the first Halo game.

13. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

As evidenced by the existence of a LARGE number of Spartans (like the Master Chief) at the end of the trailer... I believe the Halo storyline has them all falling (except for Our Hero) at the planet called Reach, in a titanic battle against the Covenant.

14. isthisonetaken macrumors regular

Not all the Spartans died on Reach though. If you read the books, a bunch lived. Plus, although the Reach theory is good, I don't think that would happen in a game. If you play through an entire game as the humans, you don't want to end it on defeat, so you're going to win somehow.

15. BRUUUCE macrumors member

i bet it will be exclusive for the 360 for about a year. Then it will get ported to PC. The people making Halo Wars make compuer games, no way this is going to stay on a console. I suspect the delay is just to make people actually buy a RTS console game.

16. Echo toxin macrumors newbie

It's exactly what they did with Halo and Halo 2 - put it on the console first and sell as many units as you can. Then when sales start to slow, port it to the PC and rake in some more dosh!

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Really? I thought the FAQ said little about playing as the Covenant (well, "stay tuned", so I guess it's likely), but I very much doubt you can play as the Flood, given they're not encountered until the events in Halo 1.

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

When MS added usb keyboard support with their spring update I tied my mac keyboard on the x360 and it worked just fine and it did ecognize a mouse plugged into the usb but would not respond

19. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It IS a strange spinoff. However, even though I usually play FPS games, this game has an unusual draw on me. Something about having all the halo characters but waging battles on an epic scale instead of in small groups...seems like it could be real cool. Especially on 360. I still wish they would play FPS games with a hundred or more players at a time (with a limited number of lives), but that won't happen in this generation probably.

Did anybody see that there's a THIRD halo game being concurrently developed along with Halo 3 and Halo Wars. The game is directed by a new division of Peter Jackson's WETA -- and this is in addition to the movie he's making about Halo.

20. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

you're right. i bet you'll be able to be the Covenant though. it wouldn't be right to leave them out. plus how would the flood work? their little social structure is weird.