360 hardware/support problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Feb 13, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

crap customer service is crap regardless. Have you tried ringing Apple lately ;)

Microsoft are just as bad as the rest.

Apple: my macbook (dead HDD & logic board failure) wont be with me until the end of next week. That's nearly a month without a laptop. And I had to pay for it to get to the repair center in Dublin myself.

My Powermac G5 had multiple problems. Dead processor, new logic-board, screwed memory, HDD failure. Of the just under 3 years I had it, it must have been away for 3-4 months in total with all its failings.

My ACD has something a small dead fly on the inside of the lcd screen (how it got in there I don't know) but Apple cant repair it because the bloody things are a sealed unit and they cant replace it as its 14 months old. Just out of warranty. €800 down the crapper.

Philips: recently after xmas, my 42" Ambilight €2,000 television was returned for repair. 2 weeks later they ship it back to me, and it's still faulty. They never fixed a thing. I suspected they hadn't when I rang and spoke to the service engineer to explain the problem was in the HDMI & Component, and was probably related to the scaler. He answered 'what's HDMI?' I kid you not. :rolleyes:
    I'm now waiting for something more obvious to fail on it (5 year warranty so plenty of time) before sending it back again.

The only customer service that i've found pretty good is Dell in Ireland. If I've had a monitor die or a dead pixel, I get on the phone. Not huge waiting times either and within about 20 minutes they arrange to have mine collected and replaced. 24 hours later usually I have a new monitor. Great service, and 3 years standard warranty on monitors... Are you listening Apple :mad:

Sorry Rant Over. But you get the point. Crap customer service is EVERYWHERE...

3. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I have only had a good experience with customer service one time. Most customer service people don't listen, don't care, and would just rather not deal with you. Dell is the only customer service dept. I've dealt with that helped. And why do I think they helped? My office pays them a fee for their "gold" service or whatever it is, so since we pay them they are forced to deal with our issues.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I try my best to avoid CS if I can...it's bad all around. I'm sure the CS people hate us too:)

Bless

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Blah, I think his article inaccurate. I've never known Microsoft to ship someone a replacement 360 without them returning the faulty unit back first.

360 support is mediocre. Adding the option of overnight shipping to and from the repair/replacement facilty would go a long way in my book.

Just a little insight into UPS shipping, Microsoft ships the refurbished 360 units via 3-day select delivery. However, using regular UPS Ground the replacement unit would arrive at my home within 1 business day instead of 3. I live within the 1-day delivery zone of their facility. However, since Microsoft specficially pays for 3-day, UPS delivers in 3-days. Therefore, delaying my delivery by 2-days. Heh.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Fortunately, that didn't happen when the phone company shipped out our DSL self-install kit. We ordered it on Friday and they told us Wednesday it would probably be delivered. Well it came on Monday, which didn't surprise me after finding out it had been shipped from a neighboring city (literally, the next town over if you drove in that direction).

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only had to contact customer support twice. Both were incredibly smooth and painless.

My old 2005WFP monitor was damaged, it wasn't perfect before (backlight bleed) but it got further damage on a bad car ride. Ring up Dell and they ship me a brand new 2007WFP with zero problems.

Nintendo? Well I'll be onto my 4th DS Lite soon. Black - buttons didn't work properly. White - hinge. White - hinge. This time GAME aren't taking it back but Nintendo are sending me a brand new black DS Lite, even offering to pay for shipping my broke model.

Not me, but my brother had his 360 replaced by GameStation without any problems at all. Took it down, they swopped the HDD with a new model and that was that.

9. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm on my DS Lite #3 as well. PSP #1 though. Funny, that.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not at all. The DS Lite has been dogged with problems. Hinges, weak buttons, dead pixels worthy of PSP levels... nah who'm I kidding there!

What's also funny is the guy who inspired me to buy a PSP sold his a month after mine! Nobody here has one anymore. Though the same group of people only has 2 DS Lite owners (and 3 DS fat). Not entirely scientific, but globally isn't the DS/PSP ratio like 4:1 or something?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

my friend told my 360 support was crap towards him and so was EA (not a surprise), I happen to know a guy who works at X-Box customer support, he is a really nice guy but isn't the brightest bulb in the socket. Anyways, he told me that if you are really nice and polite and joke with them that you generally get served better. He said they had pretty much free rein to give comp. fixes on 360's providing it sounds legit and all. Maybe he was full of crap but....

And the worst customer service is Apple, thanks for taking 4 weeks to repair my macbook for the 4th time you facists. :mad:

13. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Hard to say. There's about 4 million more DS Lites sold than PSPs. But how many people bought a ds fat and then got a ds lite because there was an upgrade? If sony releases a new PSP I'll buy it, too. Should that count for 2 sales? Then again, how many people didn't buy a Lite because tehy had a Fat? It isn't a fair comparison to compare the PSP with the DS because of the new model, imho. Considering the PSP's price point, I think it's done remarkably well. (I didn't want to pay $250 for a portable, but I got it for Christmas. I would have wound up getting it this year with all the RPGs and stuff.)

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The hinge on my DS Lite cracked somehow, i called Nintendo today and they are sending me out a shipping label. The guy said they would either fix or replace it.

He said usually physical damage isn't covered but since i had a July 06 run i may have gotten a unit from a batch that had known structural issues in the hinge so he agreed to process it as a warranty claim.

Nintendo was quite nice to deal with from a CS stance, and as a bonus I could understand them too. Nintendo doesn't offshore their support :)

Ed