360! Horizontal or Vertical?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 5, 2005.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What's better (not visually) but for both :-

the discs - reading/loading data from them, prevention of scratchs
    the xbox 360 - heat dispensation? Will it more likely overheat horizontal or does it make any difference?

I have mine Vertical, but wonder if I am harming the discs?

How do you have yours? :)

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It is obviously built to handle both. CD-ROM drives have been used for years in vertical orientations. It makes little difference while the disc is in the drive, but people do tend to drop discs more when putting them in to a vertical drive. And I'm 100% sure Microsoft tested and built the unit to handle heat dissipation in vertical or horrizontal positions. It does use a fan, which is not affected at all.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Vertical. It needs to be to fit on my desk :p And you shouldn't be harming your disks (hope not :eek:) unless you start tilting the console while it being on (which people do do - showing off the light on top of the power button)

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There's far less risk of anyone using the DVD-tray as a cup holder if the console is vertical...

..but on a serious note, it shouldn't make much difference. Because of lack of height under my TV, I have to leave all my consoles flat, but that's the only reason.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I would not have it vertically at all, there have been reports of discs irreversibly damaged. I wouldn't waste £50 a game by having it stand up. horizontal. shame its shaped so strange, could have put things on top of it.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I decided to experiment and I took a cd-r with a few tracks burned from itunes on it to test the Vertical Horizontal question?

Playing Vertical, a very slight louder read noise but no scratches.
    Playing Horizontal, no scratches.

Playing whilst Vertical, and repositioning to Horizontal.... Played ok, no skipping and no excess noise. BUT! I ejected the disc and Wowsers a clear defined SCRATCH ring all around the outside edge of the disc. Glad that wasn't a game or dvd. :eek: I knew the ps2 could do a similar thing but never seen such a strong scratch. Must be the internal drive levelling system or somthing.

I'll leave it Vertical (looks better with the blue faceplate lines vertical than horizontal). :)

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I thought this would be about what people thought about the 360's change to halo's 2 player mode. It takes some getting used to.