360: I hate you MS

Discussion in 'Games' started by mkubal, Aug 17, 2006.

1. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Figured I'd share with the boards that I'll be replacing my xbox 360 for the second time now. Not that anyone really cares, but I am so pissed at Microsoft right now. This is perhaps the shoddiest piece of hardware I've ever owned.

I got my first replacement a few months ago and it worked very well until recently when I started to get scrambled video accompanied by a system freeze. About a week ago it was diagnosed as a problem with the hard drive. Today I got the new drive, which was ever so gracefully "chucked" into my garage by UPS. Started it up, went to retrieve my gamer tag, freeze. Restart, three red rings of me wanting to stab Microsoft in the jaw.

MS lackey tells me I need to replace it. Luckily I'm just under the warranty period. Less than luckily, the turnaround for the replacement is 3 weeks.

We are also now unable to confirm whether or not the HD is actually broken. This may or may not result on the loss of my game saves. So when I get the new 360 I'm supposed to try the old one and hope things go well. If not I get to call and and get another HD replacement. One thing's for sure though, MS does not care about the fate of my game saves. They suggested that I buy a memory card and hope that the HD functions long enough to rescue them. Fun times.

I hate you MS. I just wanted to play some Pacman. I know the controls suck, but I still wanted to play it. I was even going to buy Dead Rising. I'll probably just skip it now seeing as how it will be Madden time when I finally receive my new shoddy piece of hardware.

Other points of interest:

1. The padding for the HD was almost nonexistent, consisting of a small bit bubble wrap strewn about in a box that was way too large for the shipped item. This made the chucking of the hard drive even worse

2. The replacement 360 I get will be brand new according to the MS rep. I asked if he meant "new" as in "refurbished" or "new" as in "brand new" and he claimed the latter. Anyone have any insight on getting a new box on round three?

3. I hate UPS. I think a great ad for a competing shipping service would be to show a UPS guy transporting your package by flinging it as far as he can, running after it, and then repeating, perhaps throwing in a few decent kicks as well. In fact, that has the potential to be the best Superbowl commercial ever depending on the acting talent.

4. If MS made it possible to backup your game saves to your computer or a server somewhere, losing saves wouldn't be much of a problem. How hard would it be to implement this?

/Rant

2. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

My is fine. At least its not like the ps2, that needed to be serviced every month.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know your pissed off, but have you ever rang up apple with a ****ed up shoddy piece of kit you've just spent over 2k on? Trust me, microsoft at least sort out the problems in a resonable time span and (my many experiences with apple) your not put onto 6 different reps in india who barley speak english who cant find your customer number and repeat a set number of techincal steps even if they are totally irelevant to your problem, then bump it and give you a reference number, but when your passed up the chain after being on hold for nearly 40 minutes, the new tech guy speaks even less english and has no referece on the conversation youve just dragged out with previous customer service tech, so you have to start again and again..

Finally when you get what you want a reference you ring up aftercare only to find the reference they gave you is wrong and they have to put you back on....

aghhhhhh

we can all RANT!!! **** happens, it's life.

Your getting a new xbox 360, its annoying but hey its not the end of the world. Microsoft are sorting the problem.

4. mkubal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha! I certainly have bad stories about Apple Care. Like the time they had to replace the mid-plane(sp?) on an iMac. I gave up trying to figure out when it would be repaired after the supervisor told me that he didn't feel like finding out when the part would come in from China and if I didn't like it it was tough crap. I paraphrased that conversation, but that was the gist.

I don't really have a problem with MS service. They've been fairly helpful. I just want a machine that works. I rarely play the thing as it is due to a lack of games that interest me. I'd like it to work in the few hours I play it every week. I don't think it's too much to ask.

5. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I couldn't agree with you more about ups. Would it have been that difficult for them to set the package down instead of tossing it? :rolleyes: They do **** like that to me all the time.

As for your gamesaves; I'd be pissed as hell if I ever lost my gamesaves. If you get a new working 360, and you can recover your saves, good; if not, I would raise hell with microsoft. I could live with having a defective piece of hardware that needed to be replaced; but loosing gamesaves is totally unacceptable in my opinion. They charge $100 for that little 20GB hard drive as an add on. For that price, it better be damn reliable.

6. mkubal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. And while mine might actually be working, I just can't believe they'd suggest I buy a different overpriced accessory to make up for an unacceptable failure on their part.

Unacceptable in the sense that (a) a $100 20 gig HD shouldn't fail this easily and (b) there should be a better backup solution than buying another accessory.

Can I backup with a USB thumb drive? I'm pretty sure I can't. How hard would that be to implement? Not hard at all. They just want me to buy another accessory. They don't give a crap if I lose all of my game saves.

7. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Tomorrow I will be sending my third 360 console back because of hardware failure. I will be receiving my fourth console. Let me repeat that. My fourth console. It's probably the worst situation I've ever been in because I can't even add up the amount of hours of fun I've had with it. It's a love-hate situation and it's really killing me.

8. Judo macrumors regular

Are you serious? And what are they going to do about it? Everyone knows you should back up important data. Is it anyones fault other than the user if they don't backup?

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Ok i've got an idea for the UPS comercial.

For a start Q opera music

-Close up of box with prominent fragile sighn across the side being punted across the yard

-Slow mo see it flying as ups man with baseball bat chases it lands and he jumps on it biteing off a sizeable portion of the box.

-Proceeds to kick and beat it around the yard

-ups man runs away

-come out of slow mo

-ups man throws a rock breaks the house window

-screeching tires and smoke

-birds chirping

-gradual zoom out to sho the street/neighborhood

-in yellow writeing across the screen

DHL a return to customer service

10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

WTF are you doing with them ? I got mine at launch and I think it only frozed once. Sometimes on weekend , I can do 8hrs play marathon without a hitch. I suspect you must be doing something wrong to them.

11. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

a gamesave is a bit different than files on a computer. I always backup my computer, but why the hell would I or should I need to backup a gamesave?? that is ridiculous. on all my consoles (2600, nes, snes, genesis, n64, cube, gb, gbc, gba, ds), I have never in my life lost saved data.

besides, failed hard drive or not, the data is still on there, and when it comes to gamesaves on a game console, I certainly would expect any manufacturer to try to retreive the data if it's their faulty hardware that caused me to loose it. I wouldn't call up apple if I lost files on my powerbook, but like I said, that's different.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I think he was being sarcastic....i think

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Ugh. Applecare. Took 'em 2 whole months to fix my PB! 2 months without my laptop!

Backup to what, may I ask? The only accessories that can do such things are highly unlikely to be allowed by M$, let alone condoned

14. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

GOD!
    I hate UPS, too!
    I ordered an internal HDD and a case for it, to put together an external drive myself; spent about $170 on Newegg-- the drive ships separate from the case, and arrives first. UPS LEAVE IT IN THE RAIN outside my garage. I was home the whole day; no one knocked, no one rang the bell.
    Today, they drop off the case (once again, outside, luckily no rain) and then were supposed to drop off my cable release for my 350D, but since it required a signature, they took it back to the UPS store.
    Again-- NO KNOCK. NO RING.
    I call UPS, and they said that was the SECOND time he'd tried to drop it off, and I said "that's complete ********, I'm not back in school yet, I was home all day today and yesterday, your guy never tried to get me to come to the door. Now I've got a wet hard drive and I have to spend gas money to drive into town to pick up another package?!"

"Well sir, I guess you'll have to tell him to knock louder next time."
    "NO! THAT'S YOUR JOB. YOU WORK FOR ME. I PAY YOU. YOU TELL YOUR MORON DRIVER TO DO HIS DAMN JOB. I'll come tomorrow for the package, and I want my shipping refunded for your errors."
    "Sir, I don't think I can do that."
    "I'll be in tomorrow."

GOD. I am FED UP with UPS. This is like the fifth time they've done this crap. I try to use FedEx, but sometimes it's not offered; and they're usually just as bad. Actually, I've had best luck with USPS...

15. gavd macrumors 6502a

Unless you're being sarcastic and I'm missing it, that statement implies that no system should ever break just because some others work OK. All products have the odd one that goes wrong for whatever reason. Unfortunately...

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my 360 is perfect, it has once crashed once when it was covered completely and had no airflow, (my friend walked in the room and dropped his jacket on it without me noticeing.)

17. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
  18. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

thats what happens when you rush a console, we saw it with the PS2 in a major way, and know we are starting to see it with the 360. Go nintendo, their hardware is solid.

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Just a few points.

1. It's a game machine, not the end of the world. If it's that upsetting, return/sell the unit and be done with it. You don't need that kind of stress in your life, I'm guessing.

2. I lost my game saves due to an early (launch window) problem importing XBL accounts to the 360. Took MS a week to resolve. They gave all of us affected 1600 MS points for the hassle.

3. The 360 hard drives are 2.5" laptop drives. They're not made by MS. If they die that's bad luck to be sure, but it's just like if the internal drive on an Apple Mini died.

4. The 360 USB ports are read-only. Sure, you can get a thumdrive but you won't be able to write to it.

5. I've had more problems with Apple products and Apple technical support/customer service by several orders of magnitude than I have with MS.

Of course, were my 360 to die tomorrow, perhaps I'd be singing a different tune. Best of luck! :)

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i believe Ace Ventura Pet Detective's first 10 minutes would cover that nicely.

21. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

Currentlly on my 4th 360 due to hardware failure. I've been playing games since the atari 2600, and this is the first system I have had to send back for any reason.

22. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

my 360 works great. no problems. Only problem i had was with Madden 06 but that problem was with the game not the system.

23. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

Ugg. Reading all this has me a bit worried. I'm currently waiting for the coffin to send my first 360 back. It should have been here already, so I'm about to call Msoft to see if they can track it. I'm hoping they can tell me something, since they've been very helpful so far.
    I've never had much of a problem with UPS. The regular delivery guy in my old neighborhood was really reliable and friendly. When I send anything, though, it's through DHL. About a year ago I was hit by a cab -hard- while walking and a DHL driver hopped out of his truck, called the cops and ambulance, and helped restrain the driver who was trying to flee the scene. That made a pretty darn good impression on me.

24. mkubal thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not that upsetting to me really. I know I came off that way in the OP, but I'm not obsessed with playing games. It was a one time rant, I had to get it off my chest.

I think if it fails on me again I'll probably sell it. Not because I'm angry about it, but because I play so infrequently, I want a machine that works in the few hours I manage to play every week. It simply won't be worth my time to fix something like that. I'll just wait a year and see who's in the best position of the big 3.

Also, I am in no way trying to compare this to Apple service/support. I know from personal experience what a pain in the ass they can be. MS support has been very easy to deal with. Excluding the occasional Indian tech support, of course.

Is that Mac compatible? I only see mention of "PCs."

I'm in the same situation, minus the Atari 2600. I'm not that old. ;)

I've seen the movie, but I don't recall the scene. Perhaps it was in my subconscious.

I'm not sure it's related to rushing the console so much as the lowest bidder on labor is putting together parts from the lowest bidder on hardware manufacturing. Shoddy build quality is all it is, in my opinion.

25. mkubal thread starter macrumors 6502a

The throwing of packages into my garage is a recent trend. They used to ring the doorbell and leave the package at the door, now I find packages laying around in the garage. Probably a new driver. What's strange though is that it's arguably a longer walk to my garage than the front door. Maybe he's worried about leaving things at the front door. Or maybe he's just taking a beer from the fridge in the garage. :D