[360] Microsoft says no price cut this year.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Figured. The system was selling for enough of a loss already.

Still, this isn't solid proof there won't be one. Companies usually don't let on this far in advance, or everyone will hold off on buying the product.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think it's just microsoft wanting people to purchase now rather than have them waiting till christmas. They have to sell consoles during the notorious drought ridden summer of gaming....

So annonuce there will be no price cut, people who are holding off purchase now, and then come christmas you have a price cut anyway...

4. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

While I don't doubt the possibility of either scenario this actually seems legitimate. There has been a lot of price-cut buzz generated purely from speculation and no merit.

There really isn't a good reason for them to have a price cut beyond a possible HD-DVD bundle that saves a few bucks, but even that seems unlikely to happen in any official capacity.

Of course, all this has been discussed in other threads. I was just posting the latest official comment on the subject. :)

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

That sounds really likely to me. They know they will be competing against two other big, and newer consoles (assuming both come out on time ;)) I can't see microsoft not cutting prices with the stiff competition around christmas.

6. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

In this case I think it's true, Sony already made the "price cut" for them. Sort of...

7. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i just bought a PS2... i hope they do have a price cut... i can't afford $400 for a system that easily but the 360 looks nice. the PS3 also looks nice but i'm going to wait several years for that mo' fo'.

edit: i'm going to be one of those crazy people that waits outside Gamecrazy on launch day at midnight to get a Wii.

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I used to love Sony but screw that $599 price tag. I don't care how much of a bargain they think it is; I still can't use it as a computer too. Plus they're about as innovative as Wal-Mart. The Wii sounds really appealing. A 360 would be nice too.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Microsoft will steadfastly deny any price drop until they announce a price drop. To do so earlier would be giving up an advantage to Sony (and Nintendo, to a certain extent).

If there's to be a price drop, it'll be announced about one to two days before the PS3 ostensibly hits store shelves... which, as we all know, won't happen since the PS3 will likely be sold out everywhere. There are going to be a lot of folks looking for PS3s and, when they can't find them, they'll be snapping up 360s that have "new low price!" stamped on 'em.

I predict any price drop, should it happen, will be no more than $50. The more likely scenario is that 360s will start coming with larger hard drives and/or memory units, or that the Core box will be eliminated.

10. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Microsoft has no need for a price drop since they have the corner on the next gen market until Wii or PS3 comes out. EDIT - just look at clayj's post^.

Personal I'm not even considering the 360 until Halo 3 comes out and right now I'm having fun with my old N64 and Mario 64.

11. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Which is exactly why it seems so very unlikely. Early adopters will be grabbing every PS3 available, retail availability is extremely unlikely as you say.

That means people will be grabbing up 360s anyway, "new low price" sticker or not. They don't need that to be the only system readily available, and thus purchased, this holiday.

If PS3 starts anything like the PS2 did, we'll be seeing $1500 systems selling on eBay because they will be so hard to get. The 360 will be a far cry cheaper then that at it's current price, and it will be the only next gen system that will be "easy" to find.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If that's the case then MS aren't getting any of my money. £270 + Wifi + no games isn't acceptable for me. if they included 2 games or something to sweeten the deal then yes.

Sorry MS. My 360 time is not now.

13. sk1985 macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for the wii and the ps3 to hit the market before I buy my 360. I'm pretty confident that the 360 will either come with some sort of game bundle or price drop to make the system more competitive. If I'm not mistaken the first Xbox had a game bundle during it's second holiday season. This seems like a trend that could be repeated especially with two new consoles hitting the market.

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

sony's loosing quite abit of customers on this deal. back last year, i though xbox was going to go the way of the dreamcast because the Wii was so innovative and PS3 sounded like it was going to really smoke everyone but now i think PS3 will fail miserably, and everyone will get a Wii AND an xbox (for the price of a PS3.) ...unless Sony can pull off a REALLY good advertising scheme and probably some other stuff.

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I'll be buying an Xbox 360 when they do have a price drop on it.....unless it's the day the Wii releases....then it will have to wait so I can spend all my money on a Wii, games (new and legacy), extra controllers, and a DS Lite.

I can wait for now......WoW is all I need.....but I'm counting on the Wii to pull me away from Wow for awhile :)

16. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I really don't see them dropping price anytime soon. with the price of the ps3, they wont have too; and its not like they could drop prices to the wii price range either. I doubt they would do anymore than make a better bundle for the same price for the holiday season. when people look on the shelve and see a wii for $200, a 360 for $400, and a ps3 for $600, i think it's safe to bet on which one they wont be buying. :p

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Exactly. They are going to say "no price drop" up 'till the day that the price drops. Of COURSE they aren't going to tell us NOW that they will drop the price in the winter... that would be perhaps the stupidest marketing move of all time (except maybe putting "may cause anal leakage" on your packaging).

I'd guess that the price points might stay the same, though, and the bundling would change, as you suggest. Perhaps an HDDVD version in the premium spot and the old premium model at the core spot, or something similar to that...

Anyways, this "news" in no way officially settles anything. It's just a a marketing exec toeing the [obvious] company line.

18. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

If thats the case I'm buying an atari 2600 with hangman. Oh wait! I already have a 360.Sorry.

19. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I bought my 360 fully expecting a price drop to come at Christmas. However, the extra time I get to spend with it far outweighs the price concerns. :D

20. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I don't think a price drop would help boost sales for MS. I don't go into a store knowing I am going to buy the PS3 but realize they are sold out and just look at the 360 and say, "Hmm well it is $50 cheaper now, but its not the PS3, oh well since it is cheaper, I'll buy it." I don't believe it works like that.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Heh. They probably planned a price cut, then saw what Sony is up to, and decided, nah, a price cut isn't needed.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My thoughts exactly. Though i'd love a cut they don't actually need one. They know they cannot go as cheap as the Wii, but they're a lot less than the PS3. They're in a comfy spot.