360 or ps3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by v-ault, Dec 20, 2006.

1. v-ault macrumors regular

Hey, I'm looking to buy the system that is more graphically powerful. I read that the 360 has a better gpu and is overall more efficient. Is any of that true, or are they pretty much equal? I know 360 has great games, but the ps3 will also have great games in the future.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Well....do you want to play great games now? Or do you want to play them in the future? I think the PS3 has a lot of potential, but all the great games right now are on the 360 (Gears of War, Dead Rising, Lost Planet).

Most games that will be cross platform will look pretty much identical on both systems, it will be the exclusives that will look good.

Ask yourself what games you want to play? Are you a Halo fan? Then you'll have to get a 360.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Unless, of course, you feel some need to have Blu-ray support built in to your console. Just remember, the 360 supports HD-DVD as an OPTION.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Buy a PC then. I mean really, if you want power then head to expensive GPU land :rolleyes:

360. Without any shadow of a doubt. See MS, tch, yea I know how silly of them, decided to launch games on their system with a very very good online system. Well if you're paying for it then it better be good!

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd go with the 360....but then again I'm not a huge graphics fan, so I wouldn't care if PS3 ended up with better graphics, which I think it still will. I think I was sucked in by the Sony hype Machine!

Either way I think 360 is the way to go, it got better title NOW, with better online and slightly better graphic(but I don't think anyone can tell)

6. aholden12592 macrumors regular

7. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

8. aholden12592 macrumors regular

even if it is from playstation.com i still found the info about the machine compared to other very good

9. aholden12592 macrumors regular

when considering this look at the demo of motorstorm. After a year of 360 no racer on the 360 looks that good. And that's only a demo. And also - alot of people are saying that launch titles for ps3 are not quite as good as 360 (close though), but really it took a year of develpment by MS to get those graphics. So really compare the launch titles.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

http://gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=features;title;0

...We expected the PlayStation 3 to ship with several games that first appeared on the Xbox 360, similar to how the Xbox 360 had a lot of Xbox ports at launch. And the PS3 did indeed arrive with a good number of games that originally shipped for the Xbox 360. This gave us the perfect opportunity to compare the graphics on both systems with several cross-platform games. You'd think that the PS3 versions would be exactly the same or slightly superior to the Xbox 360 versions, since many of these games appeared on the 360 months ago, but it seems like developers didn't use the extra time to polish up the graphics for the PS3. We found that the Xbox 360 actually had better graphics in the majority of the games we compared...

11. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have both the 360 and the ps3, i dont really like the ps3 anymore. The XboX 360 has better games and more of them.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If people keep expecting that PS3 games are going to look better than 360 games - they are just deluding themselves.

All the crap about how launch games were going to be far graphically superior to 360 games and they are not.

For god sake even the PS3's most over hyped game MGS4 has already gone on record as stating it would look identical bar very minute differences 'maybe' on the 360, so if the PS3's killer app would look identical on 360, why do you assume that the PS3 is suddenly going to be graphically a whole lot more than the 360?

Listen to the developers and not sony marketing :rolleyes:

13. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

If you want to get straight information about consoles don't get it here.

IMO at this moment xbox 360 is probably the "safer" choice because it already has many available games, stable online system and etc, however, the PS3 will not flop! Just let it arrive to Europe and you will see their sales growing a lot.
    Also there are few games available for the PS3 right now but no way the developers are going to put aside the Sony platform which is the only one who offers 40GB Blu-Ray capabilities, if anyone thinks that this doesn't matter.. well.. a lot of people used to say that 16 mb ram would be enough for everything.
    Just wait a few months, you'll see the games popping out and then decide with real facts instead of biased opinions, nor Sony's, nor this Forum's.
    Coming here asking about PS3 vs 360 Is like asking "should I buy a PC or a Mac?", you know what the most likely answer is going to be :eek:

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a PS3 now because I don't buy anything that recent, but I'm not so quick to sending it to the trash like most people here, my advice is... give it some time, it's a very recent product, not even available everywhere in the world.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

BWHAHAHAHHA.

Sorry. That is just absolutely incredible. You actually listen to what Sony bosses have to say? Sweet child, poor sweet child. Do you honestly believe the PS3 is 4D, has super magical CPU powers that put it on par with an older, cheaper system etc?

You brightened up my morning :)

You know the Windows website says that it's the best OS too?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fairness to the gaming section. If you were to ask that question normally youd get 'neither buy a wii' ;)

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd disagree there. Motorstorm didn't look bad, but I wouldn't say it much outclasses even Burnout: Revenge on the 360.

Burnout Revenge: (360)

MotorStorm: (PS3)

Now I won't say there aren't some parts that might look better, and the games are different (one offroad, one onroad, etc) but I don't think MotorStorm looks an order of magnitude better, not even close.

I might also mention that Burnout Revenge is probably the most fun I've had with a racing game in a long time, it wins my "best arcade racer" award, heh. It's incredibly fast, MotorStorm seemed downright sluggish.

I also skimmed that article, and notice the bit where he says "Many of the launch titles are 20GB already" -- you do realize people already confirmed this wasn't actually the case, right? Anyone here have the source to that? Weren't they actually like 7GB max?

17. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

those screenshots don't show what it really is like...those are like "cinematic" shots...

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Of which game are you talking about?

Regardless, I've seen both running in realtime (I own Burnout, watched a friend play MotorStorm) and those screenshots seem pretty accurate in representing how good each game looks.

19. mkaake macrumors 65816

Honest question to the OP:

If they're close enough to each other that it causes days of argument, who cares?

Do people honestly (serious question here) buy based soley on which one they think is more powerful? Wouldn't it make more sense to ask yourself: What kind of games to I like to play? Which system has a better selection (quality wise) of those games available?

And then choose a console. Otherwise, you're strictly arguing based on theoretical numbers... and it'll end up something like:
    Which in the end is pretty meaningless. All three systems will look great so long as you're having fun while you're playing.

And just to appease MacRumorUser, viva la Wii!! :D

Seriously though, pick the console that has more of the games you enjoy, and suddenly a 2% difference in poly count or (my personal favorite) 50% difference in *space required on disc* won't be important anymore. It's all about having fun...

<edit>

Just to finish off my rant, I (personally) think that when a game is really good, I spend more time focused on the game than focused on looking *at* the game - maybe that's a function of the type of games I typically play, but I can't picture myself stopping what I'm doing to get close to the screen and think "man, if only I had gotten the _ _ _ _, I could see 10 more strands of hair on this character...". Extreme case in point? Firing up the NES a few days ago to play Super Mario Bros 3 - I was so focused on the game itself, the thought never crossed my mind "this would have been so much better if they had improved the graphics, or if it had been in 720p"...

20. islandman macrumors 6502

Gamespot.com has an article about the graphics of both consoles, and concluded that the 360 has better graphics at the moment (in terms of comparisons between existing games). Either way, the difference is not significant, so if I were you, I'd make my decision based on what games are available.

21. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Of course the graphics on the 360 look better right now, but as far as I'm concerned (and most people on this forum) graphics are not the main feature of a gaming console and I doubt that the PS3 graphics don't at least match those in the 360 in one year from now, give it a chance!
    However, that's the only reason why the Wii is on the bottom of my list, because I haven't heard of a game that would be worthy of buying the console for, I respect those who like titles like Zelda (for example) but I don't appreciate the RPG genre (I've never finished one, maximum time I spent playing FF7: 30 minutes) so as of now for me the Wii is the console with less value.
    My favorite titles usually don't make it to Nintendo consoles so you have to understand that it's not a good deal for myself and lots of people who come in here looking for some opinions.
    From all I've read you guys don't even give a chance to the PS3, you say it's bad, expensive, 360 has better graphics, more games, and yeah, I can understand, these are all valid points, still, the 360 has been out for a year relatively to the PS3 and that's the point where you usually "fast forward".

I'll say, at this moment 360 is a best buy, but in a year from now, I seriously doubt it and I for one always wait at least a year after a console has been released before buying it because the only time I failed to do so I ended up with a Dreamcast, which later I found out only had one game I truly liked: Shenmue 2.

It's healthy to discuss these things but you need to understand that the Wii is not for everyone.

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think PS3 gets ripped so much for the same reasons you are not interested in Wii - games. Right now there is nothing compelling game-wise for PS3 over 360. Just as there is not on the Wii for you. So I could say to you the same about Wii: Give it a chance! It hasn't even been out a year! There could be lots of great games for you by that time! ;)

Based on your comments about Wii and Dreamcast, though, seems maybe there just isn't many games/genres you actually like. Must be hard for you! ;)

23. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

360. It's a better value. Both systems have great graphics. With 360 you get Live (which I'd pay $100/year for in a heartbeat. It's that good). Barring the obvious advantage there it comes down to a battle of exclusives.

PS3:
    Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy
    Gran Turismo
    Killzone

360:
    BioShock
    Mass Effect Trilogy
    Halo
    Forza
    Too Human
    Crackdown
    Alan Wake
    Lost Planet
    Gears of War Trilogy
    Splinter Cell
    Geometry Wars
    Blue Dragon
    Eternal Sonata

You can use the $300 you save (if you get a 360 at Toys 'R' Us in the next week) to buy some extra controllers, a year of Live, games, a Wii, or whatever strikes your fancy.

/starts thinking of all the sweet 360 games my PS3 budget will buy
    // or beers
    /// or lap dances