360 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Rovias, Nov 11, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Here's my predicament: I'm only days away from picking up a 360. But I started thinking...is there any reason to pick up a PS3 instead? Most of the games I want right now are cross-platform anyway, and the PS3 has built in Blu-Ray for only $50 more.

So...any advantages of the 360 over the PS3? Or PS3 over the 360?

2. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

We have a thread like this somewhere.....but just to kill this now I would tell you to go with whatever have the games you are interested in. Both have advantages and disadvantages or if you want that bluray player then just get yourself a PS3 but don't expect the big game library that the 360 has...not yet.

Bless

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds to me that you'd be better off with a 360. Better controller and a better online system. Also with these cross-platform games you're likely to encounter more people online on, say, a system with a larger user base?

Plus a safe 3 year free extended warranty too, should anything happen!

4. macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I have a ps3 and love it! Right now I have 9 games and don't forget blu-ray. High Def movies in 1080P plus the 360 has HD-DVD but you have to install it. Ps3 has built in wireless, free online and the games are getting better and better every month. I'm getting NFS: Pro Street and Assasins Creed Saturday and Haze the day it comes out! Guitar hero 3 and Uncharted Drakes for christmas. Its really up to you I haven't had a problem with my ps3 and I have had it for 11 months but the 360 has the RROD but I hear they fixed it! The decision is up to you! ;)

5. macrumors 65816

It all depends on the games you want. I am planning on getting a PS3 soon for some games like Unreal Tournament 3, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo. But the 360 has some great games too. Like well... the obvious Halo, Halo Wars, Gears, and Mass Effect. And the online is better, but for Wi-Fi it'll cost you $100 and Live costs $50. It's all about what you want. But IMO I would go with a PS3, it hasn't had as long as the 360 to get attention but in time I believe that some amazing games will come out and cool online play too with HOME.

6. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The PS3 has both built in Blu-ray AND WiFi (a $99 addon on the 360) for only $50 more. But hardware shouldn't decide the choice.

Right now, the 360 has the greater lineup of high-rated games. Still, that could change in the future. Check the kind of games that are available for each platform and make your decision.

Also, don't forget to weigh in the cost of XBox Live. Microsoft charges $50 a year; Sony's online service is free (though with less features, but still fine for gaming). An XBox 360 with 1 year of Live is the same price as a PS3, but lacks Blu-ray and WiFi. The price advantage vanishes. Add two or more years of Live...you get the picture.

But again; look at the games.

7. macrumors regular

Most importantly, look at the exclusive titles!

PS3:
    Ratchet & Clank
    Uncharted
    Haze
    Gran Turismo
    Metal Gear Solid
    Warhawk
    Heavenly Sword
    Little Big Planet
    etc.

360:
    Halo
    Gears of War
    Project Gotham Racing
    Bioshock (is it coming for PS3?)
    Mass Effect
    etc.

Just see which games you will see yourself enjoying more. Price-wise, the consoles are the same once you factor in the cost for the 360's online service.

If you are interested in HD movies, and see yourself buying a player sometime in the future, then the Blu-Ray drive should definitely be a factor.

Wi-Fi - important for some, not for all. Decide for yourself.

I think, feature-wise the PS3 seems to be the more complete package and better deal for the money. But that doesn't mean much if it doesn't have the games that you want.

8. macrumors 604

zap2

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait, what? You know that by "instal" you just plug the drive into a 360 USB port?
    And that you can use the same drive on a regular home computer too :) and they're region free :):)

As opposed to the 360 that has games getting worse every month?

What about the chap whose PS3 broke because of dust in the system, he sent it off to Sony but they wouldn't fix it for free, claiming it was "an act of God". Whereas if anything goes wrong with a 360 in the next 3 years you're guaranteed a new system. Nintendo and Sony aren't matching that and it's costing MS billions.

10. macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Microsoft's attitude > Sony's attitude.
    Hell, anyone's attitude > Sony's attitude.
    360 wins.

Seriously though, whatever has the games you want, and whatever your friends are using. I may sell my soul to the devil (Sony) myself once FFXIII comes out.

11. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Fraid not. The extended warranty only covers the 3RLOD.

For me? The 360.

Titles are brilliant and the Online is worth every penny.

12. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

http://consumerist.com/consumer/audio/sony-csr-what-no-dust-doesnt-void-your-ps3-warranty-321288.php

Interesting read for ya jimmi...and that "anything" going wrong with your 360 being replaced is just false my friend heck they don't even give you a new 360....seems like you never went through the motions with MS support.

Dude check out the gaming sites....IGN, Gametrailers and look at the games and if the bluray/hddvd got you divided then look at the movies you want.

Bless

13. macrumors P6

twoodcc

to me the main difference is that the xbox has the dashboard thing that keeps your gamerscore from all the games that you play, and the ps3 doesn't.

14. macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm, that's odd. My friends 360 wouldn't boot up anymore. It didn't even give him the RR but it's in the process of being replaced :confused: must be related or something.

Plus if you just fancy getting a new system you can overheat the thing yourself and get a new one ;) not that you should or anything.

15. macrumors regular

I guess I do follow the PS3 a little more closely. ;)

However, I went and looked at the highest rated and upcoming X360 games on IGN before I posted, and those seemed to be the only significant exclusives I found...did I miss some big titles?

16. macrumors 603

Cromulent

The 360 does have the advantage of achievements which play a big part in my enjoyment of games. Plus the controller is much better.

But to be honest I don't think you would lose out no matter what system you got. Both are very good it just comes down to games (and maybe films) in the end.

17. macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Its your choice but it also depends on who you know. I have a PS3 and am a little upset because all my friends have the 360, so when they were playing Gears, or now Halo, I was left out.

So it depends on what u want and whos around to play.

18. macrumors regular

With my mediocre gaming skills I would hate to see my 'accomplishments' recorded for all to see. If shame and embarrassment is your main determining factor, it's PS3 all the way.

19. macrumors 68000

wwooden

Value wise: The PS3 wins without a doubt. I mean, you can't beat having wifi and hidef player built in for $50 more.

But if you are looking for a system to play games, the 360 beats the PS3. The Xbox community is great as well as live integration with the system and games. The PS3 makes you feel like you are playing alone even if online, while the 360 makes you feel like you are part of a community. Even though live cost $50 a year, you do get what you pay for. Download times are must fast on live compared to the PSN and there are a ton more people on live as well. I love that when I sign onto my 360 it tells me right away if I have any new messages or friends online instead of tucking it away in another menu. I hate to admit it but achievements are huge too, it becomes a game within itself.

The PS3 is a lot quieter than the 360 though, can barely hear it even if you are right next to it.

It is a tough decision: there are great games on both. I think the biggest decision from a gaming point if if you like to play games online with friends or not. If you mostly play games alone at home, then there will be tons of good rpg and other style games for the PS3. But if you are a online multiplayer style gamer, I would consider the 360 over the PS3.

20. macrumors regular

I'm curious - why is it that people say online gaming is so much better on the xbox because there are more people online? You can't play with more than like 32 people (depending on the game) at the same time anyways, so who cares if there are thousands or millions playing at the same time as you?

I've done quite a lot of online gaming on the PS3 (Warhawk, Resistance, Rainbow6), and frankly, there have always been PLENTY of servers/games to choose from, loaded with people. NOT ONCE was there a shortage of servers/players.

Maybe there are even more people on xbox live, but I just don't see the benefit of it. :confused:

21. macrumors 68000

Antares

PS3 is the better value and exclusive games are really ramping up for it. Halo 3 and Mass Effect are the only two exclusive 360 games you would need to consider. If you want those two games, you have to go 360. However, since you're mainly interested in cross-platform games, you're better off with a PS3. Blu-ray was the deciding factor for me. As it's already included, you don't need to buy another player (or add-on, like the 360) to be able to watch HD movies. For region coding of movies, it seems like it's split 50-50. Half of all Blu-ray movies are region free, half are region specific. I haven't noticed a pattern. The same studio can release one movie region free and another region specific. Anyway, I think the PS3 has more going for it, overall.

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because of the way LIVE! is integrated. The majority of gamers on PS3 online battles rarely communicate, even if the game supports headsets.

The way everything is unified with LIVE! as opposed to up to the developers.

The fact EVERY game has to be LIVE! aware as opposed to up to the developers.

The fact that the 360 dashboard, friends, gamer scores and achievements are all interconnected and tied with LIVE! too.

The fact that you genuinely have a reputation and a story online that you share with your opponents or comrades.

Game Invites whilst your playing the game, which simply can not be done on PSN because of a lack of XMB support in games.

LIVE! even though costs $$ is ultimately a better solution than PSN which feels very much generation 1 online. It simply lacks the refinement and finesse of LIVE!

There is a lot more to LIVE! experience than PSN, and PSN lacks a hell of a lot of basic things.

PSN does the job
    LIVE! does the job VERY well.

There is a difference.

Either way.... Both are a damn site better implemented than the Wii ;)

23. macrumors regular

I see, that does sound pretty cool.

So it's probably more the feature set and implementation of the Live service itself that makes it a better online experience, and not so much the number of people online...

24. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep that's it to a tee really.

I mean I love my PS3, and 360 equally. But say I was buying a game wit the purpose of playing online I would definetly choose the 360 version over PS3, just because of the way it's implemented.

I mean warhawk and resistance are great, but when your friend notice pops up that someone has signed on, why cant I send them a basic request to come and join me ? Very basic service, but very important.

25. macrumors 6502

I've been a Sony backer for years but the 360 won me over for a couple reasons. One comical and sort of ironic reason is the fact that some companies that were exclusive to Sony and their PlayStations have gone cross-platformin'. You can't lose with a 360. You've got the great xbox titles along with some of the most widely known PlayStation titles.

Off to play GH3 on my big black beast of a 360 ^_^