360 placement question

Discussion in 'Games' started by stagecustom, Dec 22, 2006.

1. stagecustom macrumors regular

Hey guys. got a question, i currently have my 360 flat (so disks go in right side up) with a monitor/monitor base on it. the 2 vent holes on either sides are completely visible. THere is about 6 inches of space behind the 360 where the cables go down to the powerbar with my computer. I was playing NHL and it just froze the other day. I haven't had that problem once since i got my New replacement last year. anyway i have a Computer tower cubby, with a front door (solid woo) that has a open back to it for cables and such. it is about 3 or 4 times as wide as the 360 is standing up. should i stick it in there or is the way i have it best for not over heating etc.......i also have my games lined up against the side of the xbox HD with the mac mini on the other side holding them in... let me know..

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Can't answer your questions but just wanted to say that somewhere at Xbox.com I read Microsoft says you should NOT plug the 360 into one of those power bars. 'Directly into a wall outlet they said. Not sure if it will matter to you, just thought you should know.

Happy Holidays

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ummm... I think power bars and power strips are OK. You just want to make sure that there's nothing between the 360 and its power supply, like one of those Nyko Intercoolers. Those things take power away from the 360 and cause it to run in a semi- "brown out" state.

FWIW, my understanding is that the 360 was more designed to be positioned in the vertical orientation. The air vents then act as sort of a chimney... cool air goes in the bottom vents, warm air rises and exits the top vents. It'll work in the horizontal orientation, but the airflow isn't quite as good in that case.

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

As for power strips... oh crap... (thinks of LAN parties, where we run at least 4 360s, 2 XBoxs, 6 TVs, 6 laptops, 3 sets of speakers and a few external HDDs off 1 wall-point...)

I have mine vertically mounted - it seems to be quieter like that, and it fits better

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Eesh I have mine plugged into a power strip too. I havent' got enough holes in the wall :( I hope it will be ok. Been ok so far (last 2 months)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mines been in and out of powerstrips since launch last year. Still going strong.

7. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

I found that it isn't the 360 that you need to worry about overheating as much as it is the power brick. Make sure you have it off the ground and definitely not on carpet, I have mine sitting on a couple pieces of wood (Jenga pieces).

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Again, oh crap... is there anything safety related that I've done right?

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Again, power strips and surge suppressors are OK. Just make sure that the 360's power supply is plugged into the 360 and not anything else in between. (After all, you wouldn't connect your laptop's AC adapter to some device that's not your laptop, would you?)

Maintaining good airflow around the power brick is important... and again, it has vents that will act like a chimney if you orient the power brick correctly.

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

My powerbrick is sitting on the carpet. Is that bad? :eek: I dont know what I can put it on

11. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

okay, so my question is would standing it up right on my desk be sufficient, right now i have that big brick in a tubber BIG tubber where container with the rest of my power brick stuff... should i take it out and put it on the Hard wood floor. that being said, to cut down on noise, should i put it in this:
    (any help is appreciated. i just don't think the freezing is caused by a faulty xbox 360 also it never froze, not once while playing GTA SA (xbox) )
    Let me know guys.

Attached Files:

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Keeping the power brick in that container is not a good idea, because it can overheat and then cause your 360 to freeze up. The brick doesn't make much (if any) noise, so take it out of that box and set it on the hardwood floor.

Personally, I wouldn't set my monitor (or anything else of weight) on top of my 360, but it's probably OK to do what you've done with your monitor.

13. Spartacus macrumors member

I heard somewhere (EB Games guy) that some of the 360's actually will scratch the disk if you have it standing upright. This happened to me and after laying it on its side I never had a problem again. It makes a small little scuff where the laser is reading it and kind of, real quitely, grinds if this is occuring. The disks won't be readable after a certain point if this is happening. So whatever you do don't keep your 360 in the vertical position!

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sorry, gotta debunk this.

The scratching issue will most likely occur if you MOVE your Xbox 360 while it is turned on. Never, EVER do this. Newer Xbox 360s have a better mechanism which can reduce the possibility of your disc being scratched if you move the 360 while it's turned on, but you should never move a powered-on 360. Beyond that, there aren't any problems I've heard of.

15. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

What about putting it in the cubby thing? will it get enough air standing up. I am not worried about the disks getting scratched. I will move the brick out. it will reduce noise quite a bit with the door closed on the front of the cubby.
    Anyone have any experience with that? Also a general question. when playing with a headset on live or not... can you hear the game sound through it? or is it only through the speakers. cause at night when im playing its too loud through my speakers... theres no medium due to the lack of a real amplifier on my computer speakers...
    Let me know. you've all been an amazing help. Merry X-Mas.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The cubby thing should be OK, since I see it's open at the back... but any more restrictive airflow could cause issues (locking up, mostly).

And only communications come through the Xbox 360 headset... game sounds will still come from your speakers.

17. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

okay, thats my question. is that an enclosed space with poor air circulation? :confused: i don't want to break it because of a stupid mistake ....

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'd consider keeping the front door (of the cubby) open while using the 360. You can close the door when you're done playing. I doubt you'll break the thing if you put it in that space (and FWIW, Microsoft just extended the warranty on all 360s to one year).

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My 360, speakers, monitor and laptop use the same surge protector and no problems yet...It would of been stupid if the 360 malfunction just beacuse its on a power strip/surge protector.

How safe is your xbox man...you got your monitor on it....I would suggest you find another way of storing it...let the 360 and its huge arse powerbrick roam free.

Bless

20. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

Really? so CAN i buy the extended warranty. is there a availability look up?

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think you misunderstood me. The original warranty was just 90 days; now ALL Xbox 360s have a one-year warranty. There's no need to buy an extended warranty unless you want a warranty longer than one year.

22. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

I am saying i bought the xbox in late December/january of last year.... did they increase my original 90 to a year or is this only on newly purchased 360s. gears of war just froze. i am sure it is because of the brick. im gonna rearrange the setup in the am. thanks again.

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So now your warranty is good for one year from the date of purchase.

Yep, get that brick out in the open air ASAP.

24. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

since its been basically a year. . where can i check if i can't find my receipt is there a look up on their site via serial number. i wouldn't mind having the peace of mind of an extra 2 years for 60$ or w.e a know someone who bought a ps3 yesterday and he dropped 900CAD on it total (its 599 here i believe) and he got a ridiculous future shop warranty thats 3 years... so ya. let me know... im just worried about it dying in the next year and than causing me alot of problems. it was originally a core. then microsoft replaced it and sent a "premium" the only difference was the aluminum plate. then i recently bought the HD, and i got a VGA cable. the wireless controller was "returned" to wal-mart the week after i bought it last year. hehe. i only spent like 9$ and i got the wireless no questions asked without packaging or receipt.

Anyway i would like to thank to Clay for all the help. Your why this forum is so great. thanks again man. have a great holiday.