[360] Quake 4 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I recently downloaded and played the Quake 4 demo on 360. I had previously played it on PC so I had played the game before.

What surprised me was how well the 360 version controlled, it seemed smoother then just about any FPS I have played on a console and that was really impressive to me. It just felt "right" somehow.

I was looking for a game that might be good in split-screen multiplayer, but reviews I've seen for Q4 have been pretty bad.

Anyone here have hands on experience with the game that could share some insight?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Multi player is lousy to be honest. Imagine Quake 3 arena, and then wipe out the good memories and put a little poop in their place. Its really bad. Amazingly so to be honest considering ID's heritage.

Single player game is alright, and whilst not the greatest conversion (it was rushed for launch day release remember) its ok. Odd framerate issue here and there, but nothing that would wreck the single player.

It's just average.

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

When I played the PC multiplayer of Q4 it seemed pretty much just like Q3A with updated graphics.

Is there something else that made it lousy or is Q3A just too old now you think?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because I dont think it even plays as well Q3A - 5 years on you'd think ID would have made progression a key factor. Instead it feels like they havent kept up with the competition.

Quake Wars looks more promising on that front.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only played the PC version, but I found the story line terrible, the characters unlikable and "gruntish", recycled everything pretty much. Nice use of music though.

Worst ending ever. Seriously.

6. Doraemon macrumors 6502

True.

I enjoyed playing it still. But overall it was average.

(Mac version BTW)

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I got all the way through Quake 4 on the 360. I actully liked it but it had no reply value for me, traded it in. If you want a FPS, Prey is better but GoW rules.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I feel the same. I didn't particularly hate the single player, it just wasn't as good as the competition. no replay here too. Prey was a much better single player, has its flaws but overall a better story and gameplay. IMO at least.

9. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Like the others say (well apart from adamyoshida and his monosyllabic answer :rolleyes: ), it is decidedly average. As a fan of the Quake series I had no problem picking it up (especially as it came with Quake 2) but visuals aside it is a bit poor. Framerates do suffer at certain times, but the thing that winds me up the most is the unacceptably long load times when you die... they're just ridiculous. It feels like the whole level has to reload from scratch.

And yep, the ending is poor. Just another "wait for Quake 5 " placeholder :mad:

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I heard the framerates were unplayable (and many people have already voiced their displeasure in that regard)...so I'd avoid it or buy it real cheap.

I think I'd buy practically any game for $5-$10 and keep it, but then again, I did return 'the excellent looking and horrendous playing' Auto Modellista that I paid $8 for because the steering was unplayable, so...I guess I have a sliding scale. :)