[360] Question: Can I uninstall a game patch?

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Jun 13, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hello.

I tried playing KOTOR 2 yesterday on my 360. It worked fine enough
    except for some sound glitches.

When starting the game today, I'm asked if I want to download an
    update for this game. I select yes hoping that this would fix my sound
    glitch.

Once the download is completed and installed, I try creating a new
    character (didn't like the way I built my first one). The game now
    crashes just after the Star Wars intro. (After character creation).
    I've tried 3 times and it keeps crashing.

My question is: Is there any way to uninstall a game update from
    the 360? This is very annoying. Nothing worst than a fix that
    actually break your stuff. I guess I am to blame for trying to patch
    a "working" piece of software. :(

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Not that I am aware of. You might need to call MS.

3. MonkeyHugger macrumors member

MonkeyHugger

4. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Did you look under the game saves on the Hard Drive? If it's there, delete it and see what happens...

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I think I have the exact solution to your problem!

go to the pane with memory on it. Select your hard drive, and press the Y button. now, it'll give you an option to delete or cancel or something. INSTEAD press X, X, left bumper, right bumper, X, X and it'll bring up a hidden option.

This option will clean up all cache files as well as delete any game updates.
    I think though after you boot the game up again, it'll try and force you to download an update, I guess just disconnect your network cable from your 360.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

this brings up something that's been on my mind more and more as consoles become more and more like computers - the idea that like computer games, they'll be shipped not as a finished product, but one that's good enough to get out the door, with patches to fix it up at a later date (iLife, anyone?). When I buy a console game, i want the game to work right the first time and never need updates/repairs to make it work...

</ rant>

7. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I agree completely. I find it very unprofessional and misleading. I remember first getting oblivion and having it freeze so much it made me really upset, then I almost returned my xbox.

8. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

But you would complain if it took 7 years to iron all the bugs out before the game was released. I dont See a problem with the updates, not only to they correct bug the dev's may have never notice, it also provides additional game content. The Dev's cant think of EVERY possible problem when a game is developed.

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I agree, but it's not like it's impossible to make 99% trouble free games without taking forever to produce them. It has certainly been done before.

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks, but nothing there except the save game files.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot if all else fails. There is a bunch of updates to other games I'd like to keep.

I do like my 360 a lot, but dang! I swear I've never spent so many hours troubleshooting a video game console until now. (Actually, I never had to troubleshoot any other console). I miss the simplicity of previous gen consoles ^_^

Edit: I guess it was not entirely true. I just just remembered having to deal with serious bugs with Gamecube's Phantasy Star Online: Frequent game crashes, lost item, corrupted characters, etc…

Not me. Some games should have stayed longer in development and I wouldn't have minded waiting longer. Oblivion is a good example. There are 3 quests in the game I can't even complete because of bugs. The recent patch fixed one of those but I'll have to create a new game and start for scratch for it to work. :/

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't mind waiting longer for bug free games. I mean I love updating, I'm a strange person who gets a thrill from updating my Mac and PC. I can't wait for the Wii's service that downloads overnight etc. And I love the 360's upgrading. though part of me does wish devs would spend longer on games. I've added more features to my games whilst bug fixing. last minute "ooh! thats a good idea" scenarios.