360 vs. PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Nov 23, 2006.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

While I'm probably going with the 360, which system, price tag aside, do you think is a better buy? Gamewise, hardware wise, ect, and which to you is an overall better system. Personally, I'd go with the 360. I really could care less about the hardware. The games on the 360 field are looking great though.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Unless you're desperate for a BluRay player and are only talking about using it as a games machine, the 360 wins hands down right now imo without a single doubt in my mind.

3. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

If you are planning on getting it sometime soon your best bet is going to be the 360. It has had it rough time and most all the bugs have been worked out. The PS3 on the other hand will be working out bugs until early spring and I really wouldn't want to know what my $700+ gaming console could just give up on me at any time.

Christopher

4. islandman macrumors 6502

360 all the way. The 360 has a large amount of SOLID titles out now. It's not expensive by any means. There are no major bugs right now to worry about. XBox Live just works awesomely. Halo 3 :). Gears of War :). Call of Duty 3 :). Etc etc.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

For now I'd go with 360 over PS3(Wii over all of them) currently 360 has more, better looking games. So many more games then PS3 or Wii. Live is a very good system for online play(you need to pay but currently it is better then PS3's and Wii doesn't have any online titles yet)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There is over 150 titles out there for the 360 as it stands. For sheer choice of material - 360 all the way.

7. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Without a doubt the 360 is a lot better than the PS3 currently. All of the games that are available on both consoles are better on the 360. The 360 has much better OS X integration with Connect 360. Xbox Live Gold is better than the non-existent PS3 version. There is no point even comparing Xbox Live Arcade to the PS3 version. The market place on the 360 has been pretty much perfected, it even allows you to do something else while you download. ;)

The 360 has had a year of updates both on the Xbox Live / Market Place server side and firmware, and the PS3 is in definite need of some firmware updates. Once these have been applied the PS3 maybe a better contender but for now the PS3 doesn't come close.

So I guess what I'm saying is buy a Wii... actually I'm not; get a 360. ;)

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

we had xbox 360, but i like wii more, sounds exciting, PS3 is for hardcore gamer, which Im not, so I really don't care the graphic "super quality".

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

360 all the way. There are some fantastic games out on it at the moment, and with the cheap HD-DVD player add-on as well what have you got to lose?

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Another vote for the 360. Better game selection (is it just me or are the PS3 launch titles completely forgettable?) and better games in general (obviously, since PS3 hardly has any yet!) - Gears of War is one of the best looking games I have ever seen. Plus, developers have had time to learn the 360 hardware since its release, are more familiar with it and as a result can design better games for it now. With the PS3, the games being released now are more like PS 2.5 games, as it will take time for developers to learn how to efficiently program for the PS3 and take advantage of its potential.

Perhaps a year from now the answer will be different, but for now, you have to go with the 360. :cool:

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

360 but the PS3 will soon catch up then that will be the time to worry and fret.

Bless

13. savar macrumors 68000

savar

The 360 is great. I am biased because I really like the controllers, which are similar to the original XBox controllers. The online experience is also great...so easy to find games, lots of stuff to download like trailers and demos. Even the interface is impressive for a MS product. This is actually quite a polished product.

The big problem with it is that its VERY noisy. I've gotten used to it now and pretty much tune it out, but I still think its ridiculous how noisy it is. I think the engineering team got a little lazy in that respect. (Most of the noise isn't even from the fans, it's from the optical drive itself.)

At the end of the day it probably depends on what titles you want to play. I'm a big Halo fan so I couldn't possibly buy a PS3.

I also suggest that if you don't have an HDTV, get one before you buy a 360. I've played 360 on regular TVs and it really isn't much better than XBox.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Catch up :D Why need to catch up when the big hitters are coming out to the 360 too? Sony need 150 games to catch up.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Okay like I said...they will catch up no matter what comes to the 360. Its so early to be putting PS3 and 360 head to head when the PS3 has like less than ten games out.

The playing ground will be even out this time next year when better games are out for the PS3.

I agree on the 360 controls

Bless

17. islandman macrumors 6502

I don't see that the PS3 can catch up, really. The XBox is churning out title after title, and Sony stumbled out of the gates. And Nintendo is stealing a lot of potential people away from Sony.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, the impression we get across the pond is the US PS3 launch was pretty much irrelevant. That the Wii has picked up the DS and turned itself into a console bringing in non-gamers already.
    Wonder how this will affect the European launch? Are we still getting a PS3 launch in Europe?

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Looks back a year at 360 launch ....ya its all about where you start at:rolleyes:

Of course it is a different place now, when 360 was screwing up, it was either take the crap, or stick it out with last gen systems. Now if Sony does you wrong, go visit the Wii or 360. Because gamers can go to 360 and get a similar system Sony will need to pick the ball up faster then MS did with the 360.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent point. The 360 was in in no better position than the PS3 when it was released (if not worse) and look how it has done. I think it is too early to fairly compare the 360 and the PS3 since the PS3 has been out for, what, a week? ;) Give it a year and then we'll see.

Of course all the 360/Nintendo fanboys who hate Sony will disagree with this. ;) Myself, I'm honestly objective about the whole thing and am not biased towards one console or the other. :cool:

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed I said this in another post.

The 360 launch wasnt spectacular and had a number of problems and some craptacular games (as well as some true gem's like condemned)..

But it was a year a head of the pack. It pulled off a three teritory launch before anyone else, and it did not have to compete.

It's faults could be excused.

PS3 is launching (or not launching as Europe is concerned) into a different marketplace.

Wii does the control method thing better, 360 already on its second gen of games has better looking games (which can be played at 1080p upscaled Sony. How many of your launch titles after all the crap we had to listed to, support 1080p or 1080i for that matter)....

Sony needed a perfect launch, it hasnt got one.

Poor launch exclusive titles bar 1 (R:FOM), Poor multi-platform launch titles that its competitor is better on.

That's not good. It needed to WOW... it hasn't.

It's launching BluRay to which most consumers have nothing but buyers apathy and couldnt care less about.

It's missing yet another xmas in Europe and with rumor mill sparked that Sony wont release it's system in March as promised, people are looking elewhere for their fix.

Sony will be alright. In 12 moths time there will be enough 'great exclusive' titles that the PS3's sales will pick up...

Will they in 5 years have the market all their own way... Probably not...

The real console war will be the Next Next Gen.......

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

we should sticky "Buy a 360 over a PS3" until the masses agree otherwise.

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

360, no doubt... unless you have some perverse need to go with Blu-ray. 360 has more games, better software, more accessories, and it costs less... and I think it looks nicer than the PS3.

Plus you can actually walk into practically any store and buy one now.