360 Wireless

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Does anyone know the best way too hook up a 360 to an Airport network? (specifically, it's airport, not linksys). I called Apple, and they staid that an airport express would not do the deed.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So you want to connect your 360 to airport?

Well I have an airport express which is attached to our modem, and everything else wireless connects to it automatically.

Xbox360 included. I use the wireless USB and it connects to airport express without any trouble.

But somthing tells me this is not what you want, so what exactly do you want to do, share a connection with a laptop? Use ethernet at some point ?

3. friedymeister69 macrumors member

While we're on this topic, does anyone know how to use the media sharing feature on the xbox360 with a mac? I've heard of connect360 but I don't know how to get that working on the xbox360.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Simply install connect360 on your mac.

Then on your 360 go to photos or music and choose computer. They say yes continue, and it will look for a windows pc but will list the computer with connect360 installed and running. Simply press A to connect to it and thats it.

Simpler than trying to sort out windows media connect on a pc ;)

5. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

So true. I was confounded by how easy it was. The machine does have the word Microsoft on it, after all.

6. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Well, as I understand it, 360 isn't wireless. Yes, there is a wireless network running through our house (Airport), but the XBox 360 can't pick it up, because it doesn't have a wireless card. I'm asking, what's the best peripheral to purchase with which to do that. Do I even need a peripheral?

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

You need the $100 Wi-Fi Adapter from Microsoft. My friend had the same problem. He was constantly moving the location of his cable modem from the computer upstairs to the 360 downstairs and it was a pain. He finally splurged and got the adapter, and as far as I know, you need the one made by Microsoft.

8. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

ah the unfortunate advertising by microsoft. they claim its wireless ready but they only mean the controllers!! HA! You have to buy a $100 usb wireless antenna attachment to connect to a wireless network.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not true. There are a number of third-party wireless network bridges which are compatible with the 360, and they're almost all cheaper than the Microsoft one. Of course, the Microsoft one integrates with the 360 more easily, so you can save a bit of money at the expense of a bit more difficult setup process.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Check ebay and things.

I got my 360 wireless adapter for €60. Have no regrets buying it, for anyone who moves console from one room to another its essential, or simply dont want cables.

Added to the ease of which it joined my Airport express network.

Well recommended.

11. mcarvin macrumors regular

Any recommendations on that 3rd-party adapter? I'll get my 360 on either my b-day (12/20) or Christmas. Running CAT-5 would be a PitA given our apartment's layout.