[360] Worms Live Arcade - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've spent a bit of time with the new Worms game on Xbox Live Arcade and thought I'd share my first impressions with the board.

First let me start by saying I have been a Worms fan for a long time. I loved the original, and played Worms 2, W:A, and Worms World Party quite a bit (mostly the latter).

Worms XBLA (as I will refer to it) is none of those games, so if you are wanting an updated WWP you will not be getting it, but you probably already knew that.

The first thing I noticed was some issues with sprite texture scaling, on the logo no less. it's a very minor thing, but you can notice it by looking right above the grenade, a black line. Thankfully, I really haven't noticed this problem anywhere else.

When you go into a game, you see it draw the map. To me I am reminded of old games running on slow hardware, but it almost seems like this is more intentional, unless they had some limitation with memory (which seems unlikely). The land first is drawn onto the screen from top to bottom, then you see it outlined with a shadow gradient, and then again with highlights. After that the "trinkets" appear and then the worms (all at once).

The game itself has some disappointments but theymay work out to make a strategically better game, time will tell.

There is a "Rope", but this is not the "Ninja Rope" we are used to (and which I loved). It is much more like actual rope this time, it's slower, has a longer range, and just cannot fling you around like the Ninja Rope could. It seems to be impossible to swing higher then your hook point, meaning you can't fling yourself over somethine at all. If you manage, let me know...

They seem to have leveled that out a bit by giving you more Jet Packs (2, iirc) and they have very long timers on them. I can't be sure but seems to be over 100. About enough time for you to fly 66-75% across the map.

Overall gravity seems to be in play a bit more in this version, Fire Punches don't send your target flying as high, ropes feel prohibited by the wait of the worms, etc.

Also a disappointment are the exploding barrels, they are simple explosions ala Worms: Armegeddon/WP for Dreamcast. These aren't the Oil Drums present in prior PC versions of the game, the land isn't covered in fire when it explodes, it just goes "boom" and leaves a crater.

I do like that explosions are no longer perfect circles, and leave rougher craters. Visually it makes the game look a touch more polished, imo.

Shotguns seem to do less backfire damage at close range. I stood on top of a worm and fired straight down, and it only inflicted 5 points of damage to my worm - nice!

Damage from neutral mines don't seem to get calculated until end-of-turn, which felt rather strange - perhaps someone can confirm/deny this? I'll be watching closer to be sure.

There are really no adjustable options at all, timer is fixed at 45 secs, there is no Worm Placement options, and no "Change Worm" utility exists. You can now zoom out and see the entire map on screen, that's a nice touch as well. You can play normally from this perspective as well.

Acheivements look to leave a lot to be desired. While I have not entirely finished all the Challenges, it seems like almost all of the acheivements can be completed by the time you finish all the challenges. I already have 5 acheivements, and I'm just half way through the 20 challenges.

The only one that seems like it will take longer to get is Gold Damage (do 20,000 cumulative damage) but you'll probably be half way there after challenges are complete.

Overall I am enjoying the game, and haven't played any online matches yet. The controls are the best of any console version I've played, the graphics crisp (though I would have prefered a different art direction for land/objects).

I'll be back with more impressions when I finish out challenges and collect more information about changes and details.

Hope this was helpful to someone!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yeah, they took it out. :rolleyes: :mad: I loved that thing.
    Hopefully they release an add-on pack and give us back what they took out (change worm/Holy Hand Grenade among others).

Yeah, I believe it's 800.

Thanks for the mini-review Hao. :D

4. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

MASSIVE sadness. :(

Sadness.

Glad to hear you are still nejoying it though. I guess I really need to fire up Worms Armeggedon again. I wonder how (if) it will run under parallels. Hmmm...

5. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

This is going to be lots of fun on XBL. Downloading this when I get home from work :)

6. giganten macrumors 6502a

Is it worth to buy, and how many maps can you play on.

7. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I would say it is, and I am enjoying it so far.

It's 800 points ($10) and at that price I'd say its one of the best games on XBLA, especially with the stat tracking and Online multiplayer via Live.

Maps are still randomly generated, meaning you essential have unlimited maps.

There are 5 (maybe 6) map types (two islands, one big island, enclosed cave, cave with open sides, and two-story caves with open sides), and 3 map themes: City, Snow, and Volcano

Custom team creation is here as well, so you can make a team up along with the four worm names for it.

And for multiplayer there actually are different modes, some I remember are: Beginner, Intermediate, Pro, and Full Wormage

8. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I downloaded it yesterday, but only had time to go through the tutorial... because then I popped in GRAW2 and next thing I knew, 8 hours had passed and it was past my bedtime.

Hoping to try Worms online tonight if I find the time.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is there any word at all on a new 2D Worms designed to suceed Worms Armageddon? Stick it on DS, PSP. Have an online version on 360/PS3/Wii/PC that allows for cross console multiplayer games with a full arsenal of weapons. Not these cut down DS/PSP/Live versions :(

10. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

No, it's my understanding that Team17 wanted to go back to the more original Worms formula; rather then keep loading it full of extras making it even more of a complicated mess then W:A/WWP already was.

So instead of doing what you are suggesting, they took the core formula and worked on refining it for balance, strategy, and accessibility.

Worms Open Warfare and Worms Live Arcade are the results, and the more I play Worms XBLA the more I favor it. The "Restrictions" and "Limitations" present actual give the game a better feel as I get used to it, a more simplified approach better exposes what the game is about and its strengths.

I hear the DS/PSP versions were less then great though, with what sounded like code and performance problems. Everything seems sound in the XBLA version though.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I appreciate that they're trying to go back to the roots, I just wish they gave that as an option. Classic Mode or whatever, and Armageddon mode. And yea the DS version was absolute cack, I only managed to play the PSP version for one game and it really didn't improve on the DS version.

Well, so long as there are no more Worms 3D games I'll have a smile inside.

12. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Who knows, perhaps they will release a full-blown console 2D Worms game with huge amounts of extras and horrible balance, heaps of insane weaponry with little chance for much strategy... I could certainly see that happening if Worms XBLA is a big success.

But the last official word was that the weapon set for the XBLA version will not change ever, add-on packs will consist almost entirely of themes and voice packs.

13. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Personally I'm glad of this. I think the game as it is right now is pretty well refined and balanced, I've had some awesome ranked matches already online, stayed up very late playing last night!!
    I don't care to much for all these Holy Hand Grenades and Ninja Ropes - IMO they detract from the strategy of the game.

14. giganten macrumors 6502a

I downloaded the demo.
    Very good and fun game and i can't say that i miss Holy Hand Grenades and the Ninja Rope, But the Holy Grenade is very fun :D . If i miss something it is the exploding oil barrels.

Don't know if i will buy it yet I don't have live but worms is good offline too.
    What do I miss from the full-game in the demo that is worth to pay for.