[360] Would you buy if...

Discussion in 'Games' started by cyclone84, Jan 19, 2007.

1. cyclone84 macrumors regular

...you were in my situation?

I've got a Wii, and I love it. However, the 360 is looking more and more appealing for games like F.E.A.R., Gears, and Lost Planet. XBOX Live in also looking better and better. I've got the money for a premium console and a couple of games, but I don't have an HDTV to maximize the experience. Also, I've heard rumbling of an update to the hardware with 65nm chips that will run cooler and more efficiently.

The one catch is: I've got about 150 bucks in store credit to a local game shop that expires soon...Any thoughts on whether I should pull the trigger or would you wait for the console to update?

Thanks,

Cyclone

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Get it....the 360 might not be updated until the end of this year and do you really want to wait that long?

Get it....its fun.

Bless

3. kjr39 macrumors 6502

The Wii and the 360 are really two different gaming experiences. I have both and enjoy them equally.

Yes, I would buy it if I were you.

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I would recommend it as well.

Not having an HDTV it will still look good, just not as good as it could (far less noticable).

You could also buy the VGA cable for the 360 and get HD resolutions from a standard monitor. Might be worth a look.

Funny, top of my 360 list is Worms HD... should be out soon!

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Which game shop? Many store are offering a free game and warranty with a 360 purchase. I personally highly recommend the 360- I absolutely love mine. Love my Wii as well.

Mine too! I absolutely love worms! Armaggedon was one of my all time faves!

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep if the store credit is going to expire - go for it. :)

7. ericsthename macrumors regular

Hmm, things to consider:

How badly "must" you play these 360 titles?

Will your store credit expire before fall 2007?

If your store credit isn't going to expire before October of this year, and you don't really really need to buy, waiting might have dividends.

That being said, the 360 is great fun of a more traditionalist sense than the Wii, and to boot this 360.v.1 might not even come out. AND if it does, who knows just how much it will benefit you personally.

Think about it this way - if by buying now you can use 150 dollars of store credit, you can buy one now... play it until this new version comes out (or rumors cease and desist) and then sell your 360 and buy the new one. The $150 of store credit will buffer the loss you entail from resale.

Haha, I'm just rationalizing spending someone elses $400 thats all...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely get it, then when the new 360's are out PRAY for your system to break. Win win.

Of course if it hasn't got the games you want then don't bother with it.

9. gavd macrumors 6502a

I have both and have different sorts of games for both so I'd recommend getting one. As for whether you should hold out or not, I'd say depends on how long you have the store credit for.

10. cyclone84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the responses. To answer your question about the credit, the store credit expires in February and it's at a store call Gamers that is, as far as I know, only in Iowa and possibly Nebraska. I considered spending it on a few Wii titles, but there aren't any out right now that I'm that excited for. I've already got Zelda, Madden, and Wii Sports.

As for the 360, there are multiple games I'd like to play now and some that are coming out soon *cough Assassin's Creed cough* that look too good to pass up.

Decisions, decisions.......

11. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but can you buy gift cards with your credit? Here in CA gift cards do not have an expiration date. If this store sells them then you could extend the time so you can wait longer to get the system you want.

12. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Go for it. I have a 360 and love it. Wouldn't trade it for any other system out. That said, I will hopefully be getting a Wii as a wedding gift when my fiance and I tie the know in March.

13. stagecustom macrumors regular

DUDE, GO for the 360. i have recently got GOW, madden 07 and NHL 07, right there is the best combination for games in my mind. i also have project gotham and grand theft auto san andreas. ooh and who can forget,*Bankshot Billiards, i love playing that, well worth it.. once again, go for the 360. i play on my 19" widescreen HD Computer monitor, and i have it hooked up to my 2.1 computer speakers... i love it and wouldn't trade it for a ps-ANYTHING.

hope you get one.:D

14. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Buy some games. Wait for the 360 update.

The newer 360 should have an HDMI option which the current console totally lacks (and I believe currently it maxes out at 720p).

Xbox Live is another purchase, MS Points to get additional content costs more money. You'd have to get many games.

If you only have $150 in store credit, get some games (or another controller) and enjoy the Wii.

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The current 360 can do 1080p.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Thats a good plan. Buy some games now and wait for the update. That's sorta what I'm doing. I've got myself a lovely set of 360 controllers, registered my Live silver account (keeping that name safe :) ). Eagerly awaiting Xbox360 v2.

17. stagecustom macrumors regular

don't rag on something when you don't know for sure!:rolleyes:

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Added to the fact that the rumors that spilt this guff all seem to point to a holiday 07 release if any. Want to wait 12 months just in case ?

And like others have said the 360 is 1080p / 1080i / 720p / 480p and not 720p only :rolleyes:

19. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

LOL. I must learn what all that means you know, now we have a HDTV anyway. It's just all total bollox to me, all that 1080p and stuff. :confused:

20. adiosk8 macrumors regular

actually its more then that, im playing at 1280 x 1024 right now...which really isnt any of those

but if I were you I would buy the 360, I just bought mine last week sunday thinking about this same stuff, but its not like games arent going to work with your system, you dont have an HDTV so hdmi isnt really in issue, plus theres the VGA cable which is the same thing without the audio directly in the same line. GO FOR IT

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

the number just refers to the number of vertical lines. 1900*1080 is 1080 (IIRC). i is interlaced, where the screen alternates its refreshing and p is progressive, a smoother picture where the image is drawn fully. If anything I've just notice that reduce flicker and people move smoother (I have 576p TV).

640*480 (NTSC)
    640*576 (PAL)
    13xx*720
    1900*1080
    I think the resolutions are.

Simply put it would have been much better if there was a single standard instead of these needlessly staggered options. Throw into the fray that UK shops bindly list everything above 480 as "HD" and Sony trying to confuse consumers even more with "TrueHD", you have no idea what you're buying if you don't look closely.

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Buy. I love it. Best game selection at this point, and that store credit sounds nice for an extra controller and game.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Its 1280x720

Its 1920x1080

They are not needlesly staggered. Basically you have to think of three

720p/1080i/1080p any of those is HD
    480/576p is not HD period.

It's not hard or complicated. If the TV has HD Ready symbol - then it will be HD.

http://www.hdready.org.uk/

If you still find it complicated, you need locking in a little white padded cell and administered dimazapan 3x daily. ;)

24. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Spend every last cent of your money on %non sony% product.

Microsoft might be evil but Sony is worse.

Go for it!

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not looking at it from my point of view. I look at things through a consumers PoV. My folks, or 90% of the people I know don't have a clue. There are even people on my design course that don't know about resolutions or the hardware they're using (so long as it runs Director, Photoshop, Logic etc).
    of course anyone on this forum knows about resolutions. We're on a friggin internet forum.

And the staggered res's are not good, or should be absolutely labeled clearly and without crappy different names from different companies (recalls my dad asking... "WTF is i.Link?"). HD and True HD. Across the board. HD will run in low HD 720, True HD will be in full 1080.
    My mate who only works in little ol' Co-op says they get so many questions about HDTV's because the public really haven't a clue about them and their numerous, confusing standards. Of course this is just one supermarket, but there are a majority out there of people who simply just don't get it.

heh, just to throw it in there... I'm the guy people around here ring when they're out buying something electronic. "which is better, 6mp or 8mp in a camera? What's bluetooth?" and "which is better, the 8gb nano or the 30gb iPod for video watching?". these are people in quite high end jobs too! The ol' general public.