37 Year Old Woman Marries 15 Year Old Boy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mr. Anderson, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/14/georgia.molest.case.ap/index.html

sick - and I was wondering how it would even be possible, but the last line there says it all...

"Georgia law provides an exemption to age requirements for marriage when the female applicant is pregnant."

I'm thinking it might be time to change the law....

D

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wow, great law. :rolleyes:

I can see now where pedophiles could simply get 12-year-old girls pregnant, then marry them. What she did was bad as well, of course. Hopefully, this will bring some attention to the law, but, then again, it's Georgia....

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Jeebus, this is awful. Such a cyical manipulation of the laws by this woman...I hope they bust her a** in court, but she may have found a legitimate lopphole.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

No kidding!

Unbelievable.

Sushi

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

good positive thinking grandma

6. dogsbody macrumors regular

I found this sentence quite amusing - does that make me a bad person? :eek:

Oh, and how old do you have to be to buy groceries?

Or she meant psychologically he's incapable of planning for the future...it makes sense having read the article.

7. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Funny stuff! Though it seems to me that the "its ok because she's pregnant" thing is bunk; Under Georgia law they can legally be married because she is pregnant, but it was still illegal for her to have had sex with him in the first place because "a person under 16 legally cannot consent to a sexual act". I wonder how, or if, this affects the marraige rule?

8. dogsbody macrumors regular

It's in the article:-

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The law was written to conform with historical practice, and is itself historic. The idea was that if a girl of 16 or 17 was pregnant, but her parents didn't want her to marry the guy, she could still get married (or if she was 15 and pregnant, it wouldn't matter what her parents thought). It was generally an issue of the guy being 17 or 18. Not a 50 yo pedophile. The reasonable belief was that it is generally better for a child to be raised in a family with two parents than with a single parent.

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Even when the powers-that-be change a law that screams out for a viable solution, it usually affects future offenders, not necessarily those who benefitted from a loophole at the time they caught the attention of authorities. It will be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Remember, gays would destroy the institution of marriage as we know it. :rolleyes:

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Ah, but the law doesn't demand that the paternity of the child be determined. She could have gotten knocked up by someone else to marry the child.

Additionally most statutory rape laws have loopholes for spouses. Oddly enough gay marriage might have been an end run around sodomy laws (had they not be struck down)

As for the reasoning behind the pregnancy exemption in a lot of places sex=marriage. If the couple are married in the eyes of God and with proof, who is the state to argue.

She should probably go to jail for statutory rape since there is evidence of that. I guess they could give some bizarre turkey baster defense and claim that he wasn't even present (and didn't even know of) the conception. Imagine if there was no actual wrong doing in this beyond some self abuse and perhaps digging through the trash.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm of the opinion that sexual abuse hasn't gotten more frequent, but today's society confronts itself more openly than in the past. 50 years ago this would have been hushed up by the boy's family in order to prevent a public scandal; the woman might be punished but only in a way that would avoid a public revelation of the act.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Or he would move onto her farm and work her land and they would have more kids, go to church together and while there might be some comments of cradle robbing it would all go away at the baptism of their next child...

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Also, in Georgia, cousin marriages are allowed. :eek: And what has been said is actually true. I found all of this out when I got married. Apparently, you dont have to do blood tests anymore either and the marriage license is valid the moment you receive it.

16. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

It could be that they never did have sex, and she just happenned to be pregnant.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Gross....who wants to marry their cousin...well i lived in GA so i can see this as being very true. makes me feel as if i was watching that movie Osama when the old bastard man married that young GIRL.....ewww

Bless

18. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I'll marry your cousin. Oh wait, my cousin? I don't even know if I have one. Time to check the old family tree I guess :D

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A very conservative notion. :D

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what i find funny is that in many a conservative religious area, sexual mores are very strict, unless it comes to marriage, then people go around pulling an elvis or jerry lee lewis and marrying very young spouses...strange times we are living in

22. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Beautiful!

24. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

What is wrong with people today??? Call me old-fashioned, but an ADULT does not marry (or have SEX with) a CHILD. Anyone 18 & under in my opinion is a child. How many people here, at the age of 15 or 16, can honestly say that they had a clue about love or the responsibilties of marriage??? I know if I had made such ultimate decisions about such matters at that age, I would have screwed up big-time. This makes me so sad to see that adults can come up with any old excuse to let this behavior go on. I just don't know what to say...perhaps I'm rambling...

25. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale