Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
Hi, Ok I have a question about the site. This thing often frustrates me.

I don't know if this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find it in a search. Mostly because I actually don't know how to properly describe it, so my searches didn't come up with much :confused:

But at other forums there is this great ability to save time. On the page with the list of threads, if you hover over the thread's title a box pop-ups with that threads topic - ie what the OP posted. This is really usefull to save time in deciding whether to click and delve further into the thread.

These forums are also using vBulletin. Has MR turned this feature off and if so, why? I find it really convenient.

If this has been asked before, I appologise sincerly and hope someone can point me to the right thread. :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yes, that would be incredibly convenient. Especially for those mystery threads with the nondescript or contentious titles...

But wouldn't that place a greater workload on the site's servers? I have no clue about that kind of stuff so that's why the question. :confused:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Blue Velvet said:
Yes, that would be incredibly convenient. Especially for those mystery threads with the nondescript or contentious titles...

But wouldn't that place a greater workload on the site's servers? I have no clue about that kind of stuff so that's why the question. :confused:

It would be even handier if when you moused over a title it would reduce those that are all caps, and would spell words correctly!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

moot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Blue Velvet said:

But if it places so much of a workload on the server then why do other forums do it?

As an example, check out this forum for how it works.

link to money saving site's forum which does this

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
moot said:
But if it places so much of a workload on the server then why do other forums do it?

I don't know if it does, which is why I asked the question.
Still, it's pretty nifty.

Also spotted the most-thanked member's list... god knows how that works, can't say it would be that good to have here but it's one of my pet peeves -- people you help not having the courtesy to say 'thanks' or let you know how they got on.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
That is just one of the several default VBulletin features this site strangely does not use.

I have never figured out why this site has disabled so many of the best features of VBulletin.

I brought up the lack of reply-notification icons (shows an arrow on the thread icon to indicate it is a thread you have replied in) in two threads now, and it never got addressed.

These aren't "extra" features, or something that needs to be installed and configured - it's what the software, by default, already does.

Good luck with this one.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
I agree! MINI2.com is another vBulletin forum that uses the OP's suggested feature, spoofee.com, slickdeals.net, webbmotorsports.org, etc... I really love that feature. Never hit me until now that MR, my favorite forum doesn't use it! :eek:

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Josh said:
That is just one of the several default VBulletin features this site strangely does not use.

I have never figured out why this site has disabled so many of the best features of VBulletin.

I brought up the lack of reply-notification icons (shows an arrow on the thread icon to indicate it is a thread you have replied in) in two threads now, and it never got addressed.

These aren't "extra" features, or something that needs to be installed and configured - it's what the software, by default, already does.

Good luck with this one.

I think it has to do with server load. Very few other forums have the kind of traffic MR does (3000+ users at once the other day) so ordinarily small loads become large issues.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
jestershinra said:
I think it has to do with server load. Very few other forums have the kind of traffic MR does (3000+ users at once the other day) so ordinarily small loads become large issues.
MR is a big site, no denying that.

But there are plently larger sites, and plently that are both larger and running these features.

One of my favorite sites (besides MR of course :p ) is SitePoint.

SitePoint is incredibly active, has more members, more topics, more posts, and also has had around 3000 members on at once, and run these features just fine. Infact, I find that site actually loads faster.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Josh said:
MR is a big site, no denying that.

But there are plently larger sites, and plently that are both larger and running these features.

One of my favorite sites (besides MR of course :p ) is SitePoint.

SitePoint is incredibly active, has more members, more topics, more posts, and also has had around 3000 members on at once, and run these features just fine. Infact, I find that site actually loads faster.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums

and they probably have more/better servers than MR does, you work with what you have......

i always think these kinds of threads are a bit obvious

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The lack of pop-up description was just a decision made when we upgraded from 2.x to 3.0. It was a bit distracting and didn't know how people would take it. It doesn't really increase load, might increase bandwidth, but prob neglibably.

if people think it's useful, it could be enabled.

As for the reply icon.... it prob was a casualty of the theme. I'll look into it.

arn

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Personally, I find that pop-up annoying on other forums. I find myself searching for a place to rest my mouse that won't keep flickering a box at me as I scroll up and down a forum page.

Hopefully that's something that can be left up to individual preferences, if it gets enabled.

moot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Rower_CPU said:
Personally, I find that pop-up annoying on other forums. I find myself searching for a place to rest my mouse that won't keep flickering a box at me as I scroll up and down a forum page.

Hopefully that's something that can be left up to individual preferences, if it gets enabled.

Thanks for your reply Arn and Rower_CPU. It's nice to know that someone is listening :)

Would that individual preferences thing be workable. Is that something that vBulletin allows.

Anyway Arn, would you and the moderators think it over again and see what your consensus is.

Thanks again :)

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Hovering Mouse Over Thread Topic

How come this forum doesnt offer the feature where if you hover you mouse over the thread topic, it will give you a preview of the first post? Very helpful little trick and its so frustrating switching from a different forum that has this to MR. I end up with my mouse hovering waiting for the box to pop up but it never comes. :p

Any chance of adding it?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
dmw007 said:
Not sure why it is not currently offered here at MR. But it does sound like a pretty nifty feature. :)

It is, but it gets annoying quick and it makes the pages take longer to load. :(

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Wow, you really like that hovering text feature? They have it over on the SitePoint forums and I freakin' hate it! Like others here have said, it's kind of cool for the first 3 and a half seconds, but then you realize you can't put your mouse anywhere without a yellow window coming up behind it! I would prefer we didn't have that here, but that's just me.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
ITASOR said:
It is, but it gets annoying quick and it makes the pages take longer to load. :(

That would be a lot longer, I suspect, to get something useful as a preview. Multiply that by 200-1000 users at any given time and you've got a server headache, plus disgruntled users who are tired of waiting, including the minority who really want the feature.

Of course, I'm being optimistic. :eek: Imagine the special events days.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
What I'd much prefer is some indication of the date a thread was started. That way I'd quickly know if a thread was new or some ancient thing that someone revived.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.