384MB RAM Issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TyleRomeo, Feb 6, 2003.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok is 384MB enought ram to run an iBook 700 comfortably only using iApps?

The computer is going to get as nuts as burning a CD, listening to music, and browsing the web at the same time. I guess anyone that has 384MB is probably the best person to tell what they think of it.

Tyler

2. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Yeah, its fine. Even 256 would probably be alright, but 384 is very comfortable. You'll not max it, or even get close.

3. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah it not for me but for an older lady getting her first mac, she didnt want to spend that much, so i though that 384 will last her.

Tyler

4. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Sure...it's enough...256 is the minimum...anything more is great for e-mailers and iApp users.

5. JustAGuy macrumors member

Two words for you: iMovie and iPhoto. Both clobber the 512 I have my G4. Everything else works fine so long as you don't run too many things at the same time.

6. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I can understand iMovie...but iPhoto?

7. JustAGuy macrumors member

iPhoto is very manageable with small #s of pics in it. I have about 1100 and man, oh man, does that puppy swap out like crazy when you're viewing the library--not to mention it being slow as dirt (which, when all things are considered, is pretty slow)

8. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

even with iPhoto 2? i would think they would have worked on that with the upgrade as many people complained about the performance of iPhoto 1 with over a 1,000 pics.

9. JustAGuy macrumors member

iPhoto 2, if anything, is actually slower in my one-off highly subjective opinion. Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my library has grown by 200 photos since installing it, no, nothing ;)

In any event, based on the constant crunching of the HD (and spike in pageouts in top) while scrolling the library (well, scrolling, then waiting, then scrolling, then waiting) the #1 thing I can do to improve performance is buy more RAM, already.

10. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

man that sucks, i have the original 1.25 with 512DDR. Right now i only have a few hundred pics in it. at what point did you notice serious slow scrolling and what machine do you have.

Tyler

11. JustAGuy macrumors member

Well, it was slow to start with and just got way worse linearly over time. The iPhoto 1 -> 2 upgrade *really* slowed things down. I had about 1100 pics in the library at that point.

My machine is a Cube/450 w/ 512 MB of RAM. However, I fully expect all performance issues to immediately disappear upon delivery of my dp 1.25 sometime next week.

12. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

well my dual 1.25 is handling iPhoto fine for now. eventually i'll mx out the ram, 512 DDR is fine for now. goo dluck with yours

Tyler