Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ok is 384MB enought ram to run an iBook 700 comfortably only using iApps?

The computer is going to get as nuts as burning a CD, listening to music, and browsing the web at the same time. I guess anyone that has 384MB is probably the best person to tell what they think of it.

Tyler

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by springscansing
Yeah, its fine. Even 256 would probably be alright, but 384 is very comfortable. You'll not max it, or even get close.

yeah it not for me but for an older lady getting her first mac, she didnt want to spend that much, so i though that 384 will last her.

Tyler

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by TyleRomeo

yeah it not for me but for an older lady getting her first mac, she didnt want to spend that much, so i though that 384 will last her.

Tyler

Sure...it's enough...256 is the minimum...anything more is great for e-mailers and iApp users.

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
Originally posted by springscansing
Yeah, its fine. Even 256 would probably be alright, but 384 is very comfortable. You'll not max it, or even get close.

Two words for you: iMovie and iPhoto. Both clobber the 512 I have my G4. Everything else works fine so long as you don't run too many things at the same time.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by JustAGuy

Two words for you: iMovie and iPhoto. Both clobber the 512 I have my G4. Everything else works fine so long as you don't run too many things at the same time.

I can understand iMovie...but iPhoto?

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
iPhoto is very manageable with small #s of pics in it. I have about 1100 and man, oh man, does that puppy swap out like crazy when you're viewing the library--not to mention it being slow as dirt (which, when all things are considered, is pretty slow)

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
iPhoto is very manageable with small #s of pics in it. I have about 1100 and man, oh man, does that puppy swap out like crazy when you're viewing the library--not to mention it being slow as dirt (which, when all things are considered, is pretty slow)

even with iPhoto 2? i would think they would have worked on that with the upgrade as many people complained about the performance of iPhoto 1 with over a 1,000 pics.

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
iPhoto 2, if anything, is actually slower in my one-off highly subjective opinion. Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my library has grown by 200 photos since installing it, no, nothing ;)

In any event, based on the constant crunching of the HD (and spike in pageouts in top) while scrolling the library (well, scrolling, then waiting, then scrolling, then waiting) the #1 thing I can do to improve performance is buy more RAM, already.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
iPhoto 2, if anything, is actually slower in my one-off highly subjective opinion. Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my library has grown by 200 photos since installing it, no, nothing ;)

In any event, based on the constant crunching of the HD (and spike in pageouts in top) while scrolling the library (well, scrolling, then waiting, then scrolling, then waiting) the #1 thing I can do to improve performance is buy more RAM, already.

man that sucks, i have the original 1.25 with 512DDR. Right now i only have a few hundred pics in it. at what point did you notice serious slow scrolling and what machine do you have.

Tyler

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
Well, it was slow to start with and just got way worse linearly over time. The iPhoto 1 -> 2 upgrade *really* slowed things down. I had about 1100 pics in the library at that point.

My machine is a Cube/450 w/ 512 MB of RAM. However, I fully expect all performance issues to immediately disappear upon delivery of my dp 1.25 sometime next week.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Well, it was slow to start with and just got way worse linearly over time. The iPhoto 1 -> 2 upgrade *really* slowed things down. I had about 1100 pics in the library at that point.

My machine is a Cube/450 w/ 512 MB of RAM. However, I fully expect all performance issues to immediately disappear upon delivery of my dp 1.25 sometime next week.

well my dual 1.25 is handling iPhoto fine for now. eventually i'll mx out the ram, 512 DDR is fine for now. goo dluck with yours

Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.