3Com Ethernet Card in my G3 Mini Tower

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Oct 10, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have 2 open PCI card slots on my Power Macintosh G3. Since my ethernet port is only 10 base I want to ad one of my extra 10/100 base ethernet cards. Now intsalling it is easy. But how can I use it? Is there software I need to download? How would I tell the Mac (in OS 9 and OS X) to look for the internet from the PCI card and not the built-in port. Any help?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If there is any software required, I'm sure it can be found in downloadable form on 3com's web site and would also most likely ship with the card. As for OS 9, the AppleTalk will recognize the two different Ethernets: the built-in 10 Base-T and the card. I have a similar set-up at the office: it specifies it as "Ethernet Built-In" and "Ethernet Slot C1". I haven't had any experience with this in X, but I'm pretty sure it will "just work". Don't quote me on that though. :)

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

thanks

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home and when the 30 day warenty on my Mac has ended, I don't wanna break it when I open it up, then I'm screwed... I'm at school now... here's your tax dollars at work :D