3com router issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by am1971, Oct 1, 2005.

1. am1971 macrumors member

I got a 3com Office Connect wireless router with my ISP which worked fine for about three weeks before it stopped. Initially I thought it was a problem with my ADSL service but when I tried another router it worked fine.

So the ISP sent me another 3com Office Connect wireless router and now it's acting up again. It will drop the connection, refuse to connect through the control panel, then connect and work fine for 5 or 10 minutes, then start the same thing again.

I have done everything I can think of - restarting, reconfiguring, resetting it to factory defaults, changing cables, everything, but the fact I've had problems with two of these routers makes me wonder if there's some incompatibility or technical issue.

Does anyone have any similar experience or any idea what might be going on?

thanks

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

have you ever thought of it is the dsl modem that is the problem or it is on the isp end? the only real way to check if it is the router is to swap in a different one during the times you are having problems.

3. am1971 thread starter macrumors member

The other router works perfectly 100% of the time.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

why not use the other one then? have you updated the firmware on the 3com?

5. am1971 thread starter macrumors member

THe other router is not wireless and I have two other Macs that need internet connection via the problem router.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I have the OfficeConnect router and had some issues in the beginning, but it was solved by putting in correct values for VPI/VCI.

The difference is that if they were wrong, it whouldn't just connect and drop. It whouldn't connect at all.

My ISP use PPPoE, so I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation.