Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Hello, I'm currently a Computer Aided Product Design student and I'm in need of replacing my current hardware with something more up to date and powerful, a G5 springs to mind! But my problem is, the main CAD software my course requires me to use (and as I'm entering my final year in September I'm going to be using it a lot) is Pro Engineer Wildfire - which seems to be a PC only piece of software.

As I don't want to buy another PC just to use Pro/E on for 6 months, I feel my best bet is to upgrade my current PC so that it will run the software adequately - then when I'm finished at University switch to an alternative CAD package (as I'm not a huge fan of Pro/E).

So my question is, what 3D CAD packages are available for the Mac (or at least will be within a year) that do a similar job to Pro/E? I'm an eager would be switcher, so any information would be welcome! :)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
you might check out http://www.architosh.com. It's a web site aimed primarily at architects but it includes info about 3D products for the Mac that would be used by other professions as well.

I saw a thread posted by an Indrustrial Design student with more or less the same interest as yours. It's at:

3D thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.